alienware AW3418DW Availability in the UK?

Associate
Out of interest, why did you guys order this and go with the delays when the Acer/Asus ones are more widely available? Cheers

The Acer seems to have build quality issues at times and Dell warranty and quality is second to none. Wasn't in a mad rush for a new monitor as I was moving house and it wasn't available anywhere else when I was placing my order.

Associate
The Acer seems to have build quality issues at times and Dell warranty and quality is second to none. Wasn't in a mad rush for a new monitor as I was moving house and it wasn't available anywhere else when I was placing my order.

Same reason here too. Originally had my eye on the acres x34p and it was only £750 at the time too but still wouldn’t pull the trigger due to all the black light bleed and other quality issues. even though it’s cheaper, I still didn’t fancy gambling that much money.

Associate
Same reason here too. Originally had my eye on the acres x34p and it was only £750 at the time too but still wouldn’t pull the trigger due to all the black light bleed and other quality issues. even though it’s cheaper, I still didn’t fancy gambling that much money.

I went with Dell for the reason above, had a few different monitors but my original "premium" 2713HM has out lasted all of them but it looks like its not to be, its just had its date slip again to 25/5

Soldato
Hope it arrives cogrady - let us know either way!

Mine still says 23/05, but I'm not holding my breath either. I almost bought one direct from a retailer a month ago, for £150 over what I will pay for the Dell-direct shipment (if it ever arrives), and I kind of wish I'd followed through with it now.

As for "why this screen"; it's a combination of factors. For me the main one was 120Hz vs 100Hz, and relative performance at higher refresh rates (as per the tftcentral review). The higher curvature and thinner bezels are a nice aesthetic touch as well. At the reduced Dell price it's pretty similar to the other screens, so it was more a case of "can I wait a few weeks for a better quality screen".

Associate
Hope it arrives cogrady - let us know either way!

Mine still says 23/05, but I'm not holding my breath either. I almost bought one direct from a retailer a month ago, for £150 over what I will pay for the Dell-direct shipment (if it ever arrives), and I kind of wish I'd followed through with it now.

As for "why this screen"; it's a combination of factors. For me the main one was 120Hz vs 100Hz, and relative performance at higher refresh rates (as per the tftcentral review). The higher curvature and thinner bezels are a nice aesthetic touch as well. At the reduced Dell price it's pretty similar to the other screens, so it was more a case of "can I wait a few weeks for a better quality screen".

I've cancelled my order and placed one with another retailer for delivery tomorrow. Sick of waiting now and the lack of transparency from Dell is starting to frustrate me

Associate
Just had an email from the retailer on my new order saying its going to be delayed until tomorrow, which means I wont be home to accept delivery now, so probably wont get it until Saturday/Sunday if I can collect...

The universe is determined to not let me have this monitor!

*EDIT* - They sent it to the wrong depot by mistake... "VERY" helpful

Last edited:
Associate
Just had an email from the retailer on my new order saying its going to be delayed until tomorrow, which means I wont be home to accept delivery now, so probably wont get it until Saturday/Sunday if I can collect...

The universe is determined to not let me have this monitor!

*EDIT* - They sent it to the wrong depot by mistake... "VERY" helpful

Picked it up yet? What's your first impressions?

Associate
Picked it up yet? What's your first impressions?

Got it, at last! Wow what an absolute beauty. No pics at the moment, haven't had much chance over the weekend.

Very slight backlight bleed in the lower left, but not noticable when idle at the desktop or in games, only during startup and black borders. Nothing worth returning for.

The anti-glare coating initially looks like something that should be peeled off, so that was a confusing moment, got used to it now. Although there is a nVidia G-Sync sticker that encroaches on the lower left of the screen slightly and when peeling it off it left a sticky gum on the bezel which took some faffing to get rid of, so be aware!

Got it overclocked to 120hz and switched to 120hz in Windows, what an unbelievable difference it makes from 60hz, its so fluid, feels amazing in games. Also applied the TFT Central ICC profile, which looks great. No artifacts or anything dodgy with the overclock, although the top vents do get pretty warm!

The curve is subtle, perfect really.

Tried some BF4 and PUBG in ultrawide and it makes such a huge difference, love it, never going back!!

Some pics later!

*EDIT* - It is a huge monitor, so make sure you have the room for it, the stand is great, allowing horizontal and vertical tilt. PUBG struggles at ultra settings at 3440x1440, so dropped it to medium for now, looks like I need an upgrade from the 1070.

Back
Top Bottom