alienware AW3418DW Availability in the UK?

Soldato
Have got mine.

The aspect ratio is so much more immersive don't see myself going back to 16:9 for any reason e.g. 4k/HDR
No dead pixels

Unfortunately a few minus points for me.

Backlight bleeding is moderate id say worst offender being left bottom corner then top left and bottom left. Been a while since I had a monitor with bleed and really don't know if it's within tolerances or not.

Secondly colours. I came from the 8bit swift this is not any better with colour reproduction. If pushed I'd say the colours appear subtly deeper but that's only thinking about it. Certainly not night and day like all those that complain (yet haven't seen the swift TN) about TN colours being poor. It might be 5-10% better with colours at most.

Lastly, scan lines. I am seeing them particularly in PUBG for some reason. Never had them with my swift. Monitor is OC'd to 120hz. G-sync is on and it is not a d-sync screen tear effect.
It's like a translucent ripple line, for me it's distracting unfortunately.

The aurora lights are well judged IMO nice bit of ambience without being overpowering.

I paid £855 in the end with money back. I'd rate the thing 8/10 overall.
Photos of bleed Pixel 2XL this is about 66% better (less bleed) than this in real life so while it looks appalling in pics it is nothing like that.
IMG_20180604_211424.jpg

IMG_20180604_211654.jpg

Soldato
Jesus.

This is why im glad i didnt bother waiting for these. In the end i bought An Acer predator X34a for sale on Facebook local to me. No problems at all, absolute minimal bleed and overclocks to 100hz with no issues. Cost me £550.

These screens are such a lottery. Awful really.

Associate
Have got mine.

The aspect ratio is so much more immersive don't see myself going back to 16:9 for any reason e.g. 4k/HDR
No dead pixels

Backlight bleeding is moderate id say worst offender being left bottom corner then top left and bottom left. Been a while since I had a monitor with bleed and really don't know if it's within tolerances or not.

Secondly colours. I came from the 8bit swift this is not any better with colour reproduction. If pushed I'd say the colours appear subtly deeper but that's only thinking about it. Certainly not night and day like all those that complain (yet haven't seen the swift TN) about TN colours being poor. It might be 5-10% better with colours at most.

Lastly, scan lines. I am seeing them particularly in PUBG for some reason. Never had them with my swift. Monitor is OC'd to 120hz. G-sync is on and it is not a d-sync screen tear effect.

The aurora lights are well judged IMO nice bit of ambience without being overpowering.

Photos of bleed Pixel 2XL this is about 66% better (less bleed) than this in real life so while it looks appalling in pics it is nothing like that.
IMG_20180604_211424.jpg

IMG_20180604_211654.jpg

In world of tanks from external view I can see a line in front that moves with the tank while looking at the ground I assume this is what you are referring too as a scan line?

My first aw3814dw arrival had faulty led lights, none worked. Dell sent me a replacement within a week and thats the same with the line I can see.

I use bright settings much higher than recommended for min light bleed and have some in bottom left and right corners. I know I am making it worse by having brightness and contrast on high. I cant see the scan lines or have not noticed them on my samsung 49" monitor. I am still playing with it but over all am happy.

What causes the scan lines? I have not overclocked mine i am just using it at 100hz is there a way to reduce?

How many monitors suffer from scan lines. I will try PUBG tonight. Its only on certain maps ive been able to see it

Last edited:

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Have got mine.

No dead pixels

Start the replacement process with Dell. They only collect your current one the day after they deliver the replacement.

Soldato
Start the replacement process with Dell. They only collect your current one the day after they deliver the replacement.
Replacement based on what the scan line or bit of bleed or both?
I am LOL at those that wax lyrical about IPS Vs TN. Really no different to my swift and you get IPS glow thrown in for free.
At least pixel transitioning is fast with no ghost trails/smearing.
I may converse with Dell and see what they think as I have pro support may as well use it!

Soldato
Anybody waiting on the dell Alienware cancel it and buy a acer predator 34P,just got mine today payed £799 no dead pixels and little back lite bleed can upgrade the warranty to fast track 4 year for £19 with the code on their web site,games are amazing it's so huge and clocked to 120hz with no problem.

Caporegime
Anybody waiting on the dell Alienware cancel it and buy a acer predator 34P,just got mine today payed £799 no dead pixels and little back lite bleed can upgrade the warranty to fast track 4 year for £19 with the code on their web site,games are amazing it's so huge and clocked to 120hz with no problem.

Glad you're happy dude, told you it was good! :cool:

Associate
Why are people pushing the acer so much on this forum. Do you get commission or something?

I got the Alienware and yeah I waited 2 months for it but it was well worth it. I got no dead pixels and very minimal backlight bleed. The build quality is awesome unlike with the Acer which feels like it is made out of cheap plastic. (I know this because I know somebody that has one) This is my opinion but the Alienware looks so much better with a more modern design. The Acer looks like what gamers wanted 10 years ago. As for the price with a bit of haggling with the Dell reps you can knock it down to about £900. I got it for £930 and because it was delayed for so long they gave me an extra 7% off making the final price £865. I don't know about you but I am happy to pay an extra £65 for a superior product.

Caporegime
Why are people pushing the acer so much on this forum. Do you get commission or something?

Cool your jets n00bie. I should imagine it's just that a few of us are happy with our purchase and they're proving to be good value at the current price-point and a valid alternative! People are free to buy whichever make they prefer :)

Associate
Cool your jets n00bie. I should imagine it's just that a few of us are happy with our purchase and they're proving to be good value at the current price-point and a valid alternative! People are free to buy whichever make they prefer :)
No Disrespect intended. Fair enough you have your preference and want to give others a valid alternative. I just thought it was being pushed so much that acer had actually hired people to advertise their product by spamming us all. No one seems to be talking about the Asus PG348Q which is a similar product with a similar price.

Caporegime
No Disrespect intended. Fair enough you have your preference and want to give others a valid alternative. I just thought it was being pushed so much that acer had actually hired people to advertise their product by spamming us all. No one seems to be talking about the Asus PG348Q which is a similar product with a similar price.

Tbh I think I prefer the looks of the Alienware, looks a kickass screen! As for the Asus, I've had it and whilst it's probably a better all-rounder the Acer is better for a gaming screen imo so I'm happy with the switch :)

Associate
People have just got fed up waiting on the Dell and bought the Acer. I don't think there's much more to it.

The only issue in this Monitors subforum is that if you want info on the X34P a lot of it is now buried in this thread rather than the "Acer X34" thread so you have to dig around both for owners' opinions and what-not.

Stu

Stu

Soldato

Good luck trying to find the Asus PG34Q for £799

Regarding the Acer and the Dell, there are arguments on both sides, with the Dell having a better case/stand and build, but the Acer arguably having better picture quality with 8-bit+FRC and better gamma control settings.

Associate
couple of questions

1 how does the advanced replacement work from dell. They send you a new monitor then how is the old one returned, I was told someone would contact me to arrange after i received the replacement. those who have had monitors replaced what was the process please

2 I have some light in the corners at the bottom of the screen. Its only on the bottom corners its the same as the first monitor I received. It extends around 10mm from the edge around the size of a 50 pence on the left hand side and a 20 pence on the right hand side. If you apply some pressure on the corner frame it goes as soon as you release its back.

Is this the normal amount and would most class this as ok with ips. I have not done a pic as i believe this would make it look worse than it is. You can only see on very dark screens like the latest alien game. Not very noticeable in the latest doom game.

My Samsung CHG90 does not suffer from any but its a VA panel.

Mobster
Soldato
Replacement based on what the scan line or bit of bleed or both?
I am LOL at those that wax lyrical about IPS Vs TN. Really no different to my swift and you get IPS glow thrown in for free.
At least pixel transitioning is fast with no ghost trails/smearing.
I may converse with Dell and see what they think as I have pro support may as well use it!

You said in your second line theres really no difference, yet 3rd line, you mentioned one of the many better differences of IPS vs TN.
I think youve got a mix of dissapointment with not having a perfect screen and possibly a little buyers remorse.
I'd replace your screen and take it from there, at least give Dell the opportunity to resolve this. You'll feel better after that.

Associate
i rang them today, the best they would offer me was 1117 with the 5 year basic warranty.

I got the Alienware and yeah I waited 2 months for it but it was well worth it. I got no dead pixels and very minimal backlight bleed. The build quality is awesome unlike with the Acer which feels like it is made out of cheap plastic. (I know this because I know somebody that has one) This is my opinion but the Alienware looks so much better with a more modern design. The Acer looks like what gamers wanted 10 years ago. As for the price with a bit of haggling with the Dell reps you can knock it down to about £900. I got it for £930 and because it was delayed for so long they gave me an extra 7% off making the final price £865. I don't know about you but I am happy to pay an extra £65 for a superior product.

Back
Top Bottom