alienware AW3418DW Availability in the UK?

Soldato
What do you all reckon? Probably biased in this thread.

I'm debating this AW3418DW for £799, or the S2716DG for £412 I can get either for with BLC discount...

Currently just running on 144hz BenQ @ 1080p with a 970... Already debating a 2070/2080 but it's just more cost :( Lol

Soldato

I'm debating this AW3418DW for £799, or the S2716DG for £412 I can get either for with BLC discount...

Currently just running on 144hz BenQ @ 1080p with a 970... Already debating a 2070/2080 but it's just more cost :( Lol

Ultrawide all day long for me.

I would hate having to go back to 16:9.

Associate

Well in the last 3-4 years I've had a 34" dell ultrawide (60hz), a 40" samsung 4k (60hz), an Acer Predator 27" (144hz) and now this dell alienware. The two stand-out features for me across all of those monitors have been the ultrawide aspect and high refresh rate - this monitor has both of those things so is a clear winner for me.

Soldato
This monitor looks interesting but from the pictures the stand looks massive. Can someone with the monitor say what the depth is from back of stand to front of stand (legs) and also from back of stand to front of monitor.

Also having never looked at or considered an ultrawide, what is support like these days for it?

Soldato
This monitor looks interesting but from the pictures the stand looks massive. Can someone with the monitor say what the depth is from back of stand to front of stand (legs) and also from back of stand to front of monitor.

Also having never looked at or considered an ultrawide, what is support like these days for it?

There aren't many major releases that don't support UW and for the ones that don't there are usually workarounds and/or reported support for it in future patches.

This is the premier site for information and support and workarounds:

http://www.wsgf.org/mgl

Associate
Just a heads up for people after this monitor, the very similar Acer X34P is currently down to £800 on Amazon. That's a price point I was waiting for, yet oddly still can't bring myself to buy it. I think with Spring/Summer around the corner it feels like a waste, when I'm hoping to be outdoors a lot more often

Soldato
I just asked Dell for a price reduction on the Alienware monitor, on the basis that the X34P is £800. They came down to £929. I asked if my wife's NHS card would give another 10% discount, but sadly that only applies to laptops and desktops.

I did not go through with the purchase.

Associate
The problem with the Alienware & the Acer @ Full £999 price, is its dangerously close to the LG 34GK950G, @ £800, each one starts to make more sense.

Student discount brings the Alienware down to £860. Which is a little better. But is the Alienware worth an extra £60 over the Acer?

Last edited:
Soldato
The problem with the Alienware & the Acer @ Full £999 price, is its dangerously close to the LG 34GK950G, @ £800, each one starts to make more sense.

Student discount brings the Alienware down to £860. Which is a little better. But is the Alienware worth an extra £60 over the Acer?

The student code seems to work for me as well and I'm at the checkout stage (but undecided on whether to buy). Will it hit me with a request for a NUS number if I try to buy?

EDIT - the NHS discount works and I've been onto their chat system to (politely) try and badger an additional discount from them to bring it down to £800. They won't budge and the sales rep discount won't stack with the NHS one.

EDIT #2. Dell are paying 6% TCB, which brings it close enough.

Last edited:
Soldato
I generated a code and entered into the website with the monitor in the basket. It said "this is a valid code, but no valid products are in the basket."

I've ordered it now at £860. The TCB probably won't track as I've already used another voucher, but we'll see.

EDIT - I guess the update the T&Cs regularly as the code comes with the following text:
The coupon cannot be used against nonqualifying products or segments. The current discounts are 10% off on Inspiron, XPS and Alienware above £499. You can also get a coupon for 20% discount on Dell branded S&P (accessories), without threshold.

Last edited:
Associate
FYI:

xUkGdHO.png

The code you need to use is available here:
https://webapp.dell.epsilon.com/EMEA/UltraCVM/Coupons/Register/DASUK?c=GB&l=en

You need to enter a valid university email address. You'll get an instant email with 3 codes. 2x 10% off and 1x 20% off accessorcies. The 10% off alienware doesn't work on this monitor but the 20% off accessories does work. If you sign up to UNIDAYS you can also get the same vouchers but for whatever reason the 20% off accessories provided by UNIDAYS does not work on this monitor nor does the 10% off. So you have to use the DELL link above to get the correct voucher code.

As you'll see above at £999, you can get the monitor for £799. Mine was delivered last week but i haven't had time to unpack yet. You can also use Paypal credit to get 12 months interest free payments which you cannot do if you get the discount via chat.

Soldato
I'm feeling a little trepidation as I've just picked this up from the Amazon warehouse for £712 in "like new" condition. Description just said it would have damaged packaging.

I am half expecting to receive a box full of bricks instead of a monitor, but Amazon have assured me that I can return it within 30 days if anything isn't up to spec.

Arriving Monday so I'll check for dead pixels, back light bleed etc. Powering with a 1080 so I am hoping that remains good enough to run everything with reasonable frame rates and detail.

I could probably swing the extra discount via a relative for Student discount direct via Dell if the warehouse one is no good.

Soldato
I've got mine. There's what might be bleed, but it's confined to small patches in bottom left and right. First sign is I'll be able to live with it - I'll decide in the next day or two. Otherwise, panel uniformity is good, IPS glow isn't awful and the overall experience with this monitor is that it's a better class of product than the AOC 27" and 32" I've tried, not that there was anything wrong with either of those as such, except the panel on the 27" wasn't great (something which affects every manufacturer using it.)

Back
Top Bottom