alienware AW3418DW Availability in the UK?

Soldato
Mine arrived too but I've not had a lot of time to play about with it.

First impressions are that it's such a large area to work in! It's going to take a big of getting used to. The screen build quality looks good, the stand is pretty substantial as well. It lights up but it's facing a wall so maybe not the most useful feature.

BLB looks manageable after I turned the brightness down a bit. I took a picture of it, but the picture looks a lot worse than it does in real life. Can't figure out how to change it so the picture matches what I see.

https://i.imgur.com/YIUeiQ0h.jpg

A bit of BLB bottom left, bottom right, top right. Top left is OK. None of them really seem noticeable in real world usage so far. Hopefully they improve a bit with time as well. I checked my Acer XB271HU before I put the AW one up, and that had surprisingly little BLB.

I seem to have a bit of a colour shift going on though, especially on a full white background like you get on the google homepage or the backdrop of a windows window. The right 1/3rd seems to give a warmer/yellowish white, where the left is more of a cool white. Does anyone else have this? I could probably get rid of a lot of this issue by getting darker skins for things! :D

There is a minor dent out of the top of the casing which is a bit of a shame, as the Amazon advert said it was like new and only the packaging was damaged. Otherwise the condition does seem reasonable.

Overclocked to 120HZ and it at least boots in. I am not sure if it will hold the clock during gaming, or as some people report after several weeks it can start to have flickering.

Edit - manufacture date on the box is October 2018 so at least it doesn't seem to be an ancient one that's been kicking about.

Last edited:
Associate
Mine arrived too but I've not had a lot of time to play about with it.

First impressions are that it's such a large area to work in! It's going to take a big of getting used to. The screen build quality looks good, the stand is pretty substantial as well. It lights up but it's facing a wall so maybe not the most useful feature.

BLB looks manageable after I turned the brightness down a bit. I took a picture of it, but the picture looks a lot worse than it does in real life. Can't figure out how to change it so the picture matches what I see.

https://i.imgur.com/YIUeiQ0h.jpg

A bit of BLB bottom left, bottom right, top right. Top left is OK. None of them really seem noticeable in real world usage so far. Hopefully they improve a bit with time as well. I checked my Acer XB271HU before I put the AW one up, and that had surprisingly little BLB.

I seem to have a bit of a colour shift going on though, especially on a full white background like you get on the google homepage or the backdrop of a windows window. The right 1/3rd seems to give a warmer/yellowish white, where the left is more of a cool white. Does anyone else have this? I could probably get rid of a lot of this issue by getting darker skins for things! :D

There is a minor dent out of the top of the casing which is a bit of a shame, as the Amazon advert said it was like new and only the packaging was damaged. Otherwise the condition does seem reasonable.

Overclocked to 120HZ and it at least boots in. I am not sure if it will hold the clock during gaming, or as some people report after several weeks it can start to have flickering.

Edit - manufacture date on the box is October 2018 so at least it doesn't seem to be an ancient one that's been kicking about.

Let Amazon know that the item was described like new but on arrival has a dent. They will either offer to exchange (and potentially give you a brand new one) or they'll give you an Amazon voucher for x amount or refund you x amount. If you don't complain you won't get anything.

Soldato
Let Amazon know that the item was described like new but on arrival has a dent. They will either offer to exchange (and potentially give you a brand new one) or they'll give you an Amazon voucher for x amount or refund you x amount. If you don't complain you won't get anything.

What he said.

Soldato

What he said.

I did so and they offered 20% back, which makes the monitor a very reasonable price indeed. £569.85 after that.

Soldato
I'm really quite happy with mine so far. It makes me realise that the AUO 27" IPS panels are IPS in name only and don't provide much in the way of visual quality. My Philips 40" VA was vastly better in terms of IQ than the AOC IPS I tried, while this AW panel is very nice indeed. I'm not sure it's better than the Phillips exactly, but it's certainly not worse. In addition, the curve works for me and it's extremely well suited to me doing eight hours of work on it every day.

Associate
We've had a bonus confirmed at work today, will cover the monitor with change, so I signed my wife up to the Dell students discount, but only the 10% one for monitors is working, not the 20% for accessories. Given what people have gotten this for I just cannot bring myself to pay £900. Shame, £800 was my limit tbh

Caporegime
We've had a bonus confirmed at work today, will cover the monitor with change, so I signed my wife up to the Dell students discount, but only the 10% one for monitors is working, not the 20% for accessories. Given what people have gotten this for I just cannot bring myself to pay £900. Shame, £800 was my limit tbh

Chat to Dell Sales and they can often reduce the price from what's on the site, then chances are your 10% code will work on top.

Associate
Do they apply a discount code to the basket, that then other codes could work on top of? Although I tried last week, and despite the X34P being £800 the most they'd go to was £960, or £930, I can't remember which

Associate
Best offer today, £921, and I can't add a student discount on top.

If the 20% code worked I would have bought it, but I can't in good conscience pay £900.

A shop local to me has the Acer X34P in for £800, considering that now, as I can just return it to the store should I lose the panel lottery.

Scratch that, the Acer is back up to £860 :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
Best offer today, £921, and I can't add a student discount on top.

If the 20% code worked I would have bought it, but I can't in good conscience pay £900.

A shop local to me has the Acer X34P in for £800, considering that now, as I can just return it to the store should I lose the panel lottery.

Scratch that, the Acer is back up to £860 :rolleyes:

It's on Amazon at £800

Back
Top Bottom