"Allergic" to fish - dilema.

Soldato
I wonder if it's something to do with the amount of processing because tinned tuna is cooked within an inch of its life, smoked salmon is cured, anchovies are salted which is a bit like disinifecting it. Maybe it's something still present in fresh fish that does it. I think tinned pilchards are next on my list and a move back to white fish might start with those boil in the bag frozen jobbies, because they are pretty heavily processed. Then I'll move onto the fresh stuff when I'm feeling brave.

Today, our special guest will be cod worm. I remember my first encounter with this critter about 4 years ago. As I unwrapped a cod fillet, I was greeted by a little worm squirming out of the fish. Good thing I heard about these worms before, or I would have thrown the fish in the trash and never set foot into that fish market (actually, it happened to be Whole Foods). In spite of my initial disgust (I am the kind of person who screams at the sight of an itsy-bitsy spider), I inspected the fillet, removed the worms and cooked the fish. It tasted just fine, and as you can see, I lived to tell the tale. These little worms are the pain of any fishmonger's existence because they freak the hell out of consumers. They are particularly common in white fish (cod, haddock, flounder, sole, and halibut), but I've also seen them in swordfish and monkfish. How often do you see them as a consumer? I cook fish at least 3 times a week and I'll see them a few times a year.

To prevent us, consumers, from having to look at these unsightly animals, the fish processors put all white fish through a process called "candling." They put the fillets on glass sitting over a lamp. This allows them to see through the fillet and remove any visible parasites. Think about this process as an airport inspection -- it makes everyone feel better, but it's not full-proof. On occasion, a few worms can escape the inspection and travel from the fish processing facility to your fishmonger and then to your kitchen.

The presence of worms has nothing to do with the freshness of the fish and I assure you that your fishmonger tried his or her hardest to protect you from this terrible experience. Last thing they want to happen is for you to find worms in your fish, but unfortunately this does happen sometimes.

What happens if you eat a cod worm? If it's dead, which it's bound to be if you cooked your fish to opaque state (or 140F), nothing at all happens. Even if you prefer your fish cooked a little less (120-130F) like I do, the odds of you eating a live worm are very slim. It would have to be a really hardy worm to survive those temperatures. If you are serving fish raw, and one of those guys manages to stay intact after you sliced the fish, and makes it all the way to your tummy intact, you are in trouble. Your stomach will eventually kill them, but since they originate in seals, they can get quite comfy in any mammal including us humans making the experience extremely unpleasant. As Dr. Palm puts it, “It is better not to eat them alive.”

Q: How do you remove cod worms? Do you have to use a match like you would for a tick to ensure that no part of it remains in the fish?
A: No match. They’re only potentially harmful if you ingest them live. I just pull them out with my fingers (wearing gloves since I am a squeamish wimp), but as Stephanie suggested, tweezers might be an easier way to remove the worms.
Q: What would happen if a cod worm were to survive in your stomach?
A: Nothing life threatening or permanently damaging will happen, but you are likely to experience a terrible stomach ache, nausea, and vomiting. If you experience these symptoms after eating raw fish, it’s important to tell the doctor which species of fish you’ve recently eaten raw, cured, or salted. In US, the instances of parasite infections (anisakiasis) are so rare that they are often misdiagnosed as appendicitis, ulcer, or some other gastrointestinal disease. If diagnosed correctly, anisakiasis can pass all by itself (when the parasites die), or be treated with a drug called albendazole. In rare cases, surgical intervention might be necessary.

Q: I found a worm in tuna at a sushi restaurant. What do I do?
A: What you probably found wasn’t a worm, but rather a strand of fat or sinuous tissue. Worms in large tuna (such as yellowfin, bluefin, and big-eye) are exceedingly rare. Even if what you found was really a worm, don’t worry. All restaurants in the U.S. are required to freeze fish before it is served raw. The freezing process will kill any worms that aren’t removed via inspection. However, if that “strand of fat” was really moving and wriggling on its own, then it’s not a strand of fat---it’s a live worm. One possibility is that the sushi restaurant served you a small tuna (such as Bonito), which is susceptible to worms. Most fresh fish sold as “tuna” is large tuna. As an extra precaution, you can ask your fishmonger or sushi restaurant the tuna species. If it’s yellowfin/ahi, bluefin or big-eye, then you shouldn’t need to worry about worms/parasites.

Q: Is eating fresh, raw yellowfin, bluefin or big-eye tuna dangerous?
A: No---at least, not as far as parasites are concerned. Your chances of dying in a car accident driving to/from your fish market to buy a loin of tuna are much higher than your chances of getting sick from a parasite from the tuna you buy. Parasites are virtually nonexistent in tuna meat sold fresh in the U.S. A more important concern is bacteria. Fish meat is more susceptible to bacteria growth than other types of meat (e.g. cow, pig, duck). So, it’s important that you buy from a reputable source and keep your tuna on ice at all time before serving (I bring a cooler with ice-packs with me to the market).

codworm.jpg

codworm2.jpg

http://www.spdl.scot.nhs.uk/anisak.asp

Soldato
This is akin to someone who's allergic to peanuts playing 'Russian Roulette' with a packet of Revels.

I know a girl who's an emergency case if she eats berries. Ordering desert is funny at restaurants as they look decidedly uncomfortable whilst she quizzes them about what's in the deserts :D

Soldato
Least you've got the balls to do it, i had really bad reactions to fish when i was young and i've not tried it since.

I've been tempted, but i don't want to be ill for a few days afterwards :(

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
I've been thinking about it all day. Tuna for lunch, just had a tuna and sweetcorn wrap and I STILL want more :D

Tinned tuna 4-packs are half price in the supermarket. Guess who's now got 8 tins in the cupboard? Ok, 7 tins :o

Soldato
I get sudden cravings like that.

I hadn't drunk milk on its own since I was younger than 10, then about 3 months ago I craved some, and ever since I've been drinking usually at least a glass a day. Same thing with peanuts too.

Back
Top Bottom