Amazon Dash-Button

Associate
Well yeah, both. Delivery by drone is totally feasible, just a bit restricted by local aviation laws and battery technology. And Uber already do both self-driving cars and a courier service. What's the crazy far fetched part?

The drones will just never happen, it just wont be commercially viable.
simple things that it cant do, altho technically its possible to carry items its not practical in anyway shape or form.

Self driving courier service is more possible but still don't see it.

And this is going to happen before a simple wifi button to order things. No! :D

Man of Honour
I think this is a gimmick and in some ways a bit of a step back rater than forwards as it is essentially creating a bespoke physical artifact for a very limited usage scenario (ordering a single item from a single retailer), compared to the general trend towards consolidation of technology (i.e. how mobile phones now typically support many different functions). 10 years ago before smart phones were so prevalent I could maybe see a case for it, compared with having to leave the room and boot up a PC or whatever to place an order.

Yes I can see that pressing a single button is easier than ordering on a phone but, call me a luddite, I want a bit more central control over how I'm spending my money rather than having a button for everything tied into a single retailer.

Caporegime
simple things that it cant do, altho technically its possible to carry items its not practical in anyway shape or form.

Explain why it's not viable. Every situation I can think of which may hinder this has a work around.

Associate
Explain why it's not viable. Every situation I can think of which may hinder this has a work around.

1, air regulations
2, only carry light + small packages
3, probably more expensive anyway
4, battery life
5, weather
6, people hitting them out the sky
7, sheer amount needed (think about how much is in every van)
8, what if yer not in or how to sign for for legal
9, going to go into buildings and up stairs? lol
10, people stealing the goods and the drones themselves
11, people can easy hack military ones never mind these
12, how people feel about millions over head and what happens when they drop out sky and kill someone
13, loads more I'm sure cant think right now :D

Fact is some of that can be solved but its just simply not going to happen anytime soon.

Soldato

Why isn't it commercially viable? Drones are far, FAR, cheaper than vehicles (plus their associated driver) even based on current technology which is advancing at an astonishing rate even on a consumer level.

One difficult I can see which technology hasn't already or won't be able to overcome is drop off locations - ie that physical ring at the doorbell to check that you're in. The solution, imo, would be to simply set a custom drop off on a map rather than using a postcode. For those with a garden this would be straightforward. Those without I can foresee drone drop off locations which you would then collect in person, but the cost of this vs vehicles would then be a factor.

Something which technology will have to overcome is wind and rain. But I guess in bad weather they would fall back to road-based vehicles.

Isn't it easier to just use the phone app / web?

Easier? No. As easy? Probably. But then for something that's free there's no real negatives over using a phone either, with a bit of added convenience and a fail-safe for forgetting.

Annoyingly the one thing I was going to get it for was bin bags. We have a simple human bin and they have a dash button, but the product we need isn't available with it yet (though every other type of bin bag seemingly is, weirdly). To have that on the bin and then when you use the last bag to just give it a press and the next day have some more come through your letter box is pretty neat.

Associate
The reason I wouldn't go for this (but I guess for the masses, they won't care), is that I tend to have no brand loyalty and will go for the best price/quality ratio. I wouldn't buy laundry liquid at full price, for example, knowing there's always offers on these things. Same with dishwasher tablets.

If I used one of these, I'm committing to buying it at whatever price it's currently listed as.

Soldato
1, air regulations
2, only carry light + small packages
3, probably more expensive anyway
4, battery life
5, weather
6, people hitting them out the sky
7, sheer amount needed (think about how much is in every van)
8, what if yer not in or how to sign for for legal
9, going to go into buildings and up stairs? lol
10, people stealing the goods and the drones themselves
11, people can easy hack military ones never mind these
12, how people feel about millions over head and what happens when they drop out sky and kill someone
13, loads more I'm sure cant think right now :D

Fact is some of that can be solved but its just simply not going to happen anytime soon.

1. This is the easiest thing to overcome and legislation just needs to catch up with technology, as always.
2. Our largest drone, which is now outdated, can carry up to 11kg. Drones built specifically for haulage will be able to manage most items
3. "Probably"? The cost of a van on lease is upwards of £2,500pm with a driver. Consumer drones cost less than that all-in
4. Battery life on consumer drones currently sits at around 30 minutes. An advancement in battery tech is needed for everything we do, and it will come, but before that and with smaller improvements it's still feasible
5. Waterproof drones wouldn't be crazy. Wind is more difficult and there would have to be a fallback
6. This is illegal and is not a justifiable point. You could equally claim that people could hijack delivery vans
7. From the deliveries we get and seeing what number we are in a city centre it seems there's about 70-80 in a van. Drones would only be for small items and are far, far quicker at travelling around a city than a van.
8. As above. Lots of ways to sign; physically sign or who's to say it won't just be face recognition or just take a photo from a camera?
9. No? Why would it go in buildings?
10. Same applies to delivery vans
11. Same applies to delivery vans
12. Same applies to delivery vans
13. Ok great

Associate
so delivery vans fly over head and can be hacked and get stolen easy now? news to me.

if you need back up vans for weather whats the point then, doubling cost surely?
anyway not going to argue, I hope you are right would be cool......but I doubt it :)

happy getting stuff dropped right to me door and not at some stop, why not just go to a shop.

Last edited:
Soldato
This article covered the one question I had:

What products can I order with my dash button?
https://www.fastcodesign.com/305004...esign-for-amazon-bad-design-for-everyone-else

Turns out they realises all my concerns... Understandably it's limited to the brand that the button is designed for, but limiting it to a select list of products from that brand while effectively locking you out of any cost saving is just a big no no for me.

Once the IOT buttons become available in the UK I might be tempted.

Also, why aren't these things piezoelectric powered? We've got wireless light switches that are exactly that in our offices - they work a treat.

Soldato
so being a parent im guessing theres nothing preventing my daughter getting hold of said button and ordering 300 packs of {insert item here} because she clicks anything that does click about 300 times before shes bored?

Soldato
so being a parent im guessing theres nothing preventing my daughter getting hold of said button and ordering 300 packs of {insert item here} because she clicks anything that does click about 300 times before shes bored?

Once clicked it won't let you order again until the item arrives. So a double/triple click wouldn't order 2 or 3.

So that's one thing.

The other thing would be putting it out of reach - depending on their age of course.

Oh, and you get 30 day returns - https://fresh.amazon.com/dash/returns

Associate
It'll order at most one a day. It will also notify you via mobile to cancel, if you so wish!

Caporegime
so delivery vans fly over head and can be hacked and get stolen easy now? news to me.

if you need back up vans for weather whats the point then, doubling cost surely?
anyway not going to argue, I hope you are right would be cool......but I doubt it :)

happy getting stuff dropped right to me door and not at some stop, why not just go to a shop.

Don't be a plank, his points are all valid. There are so many ways around all your arguments it's crazy. Nobody's going to nick a drone that's armed to the teeth with cameras and GPS are they? What if the drone instantly bricks itself as soon as it's tampered with? It'd be completely pointless to steal them. Also, if a drone can carry a full sized human being I'm sure they can find a way to make one that can carry a copy of "internet etiquette for dummies".

Caporegime
This isn't for me. Its not worth cluttering the house with loads of buttons when I can just pick up my phone.
I don't really order anything regularly over long periods of time of same exact item.
Brand loyal people it could work for. Not for myself

Back
Top Bottom