Amazon Echo - anyone have one?

Associate
Missed out on the pre order price so hopefully they get discounted in the black Friday sales.

Like above the harmony hub integration Is a killer feature for me.

I would be more interested in the Dot if it could be wall mounted, hopefully a 3rd party will create a wall mount.

Last edited:
Soldato
One design miss of the Echo is the recess where the power lead plugs in. If it was about 2cm taller/bigger, you could actually hide any unused cable in it.

Associate
Well I'm liking my Echo so far very cool gadget, kids love it very amusing listening to it trying to answer my 8 year boys question about where babies come from.

I am slightly concerned though that this week it picked up something from the TV and ordered a book, I've changed the wake word to Echo now to see if this is better but may have to keep a close eye on my Amazon orders for a few weeks.

Associate
I've turned off voice purchasing in the app, it does seem to get woken up pretty often by the TV, so not risking it

Associate
Cancelled my dot order. Was excited about it when I ordered but now for some reason I feel talking to alexa will be more of an effort than using my phone/tablet.

Soldato
Cancelled my dot order. Was excited about it when I ordered but now for some reason I feel talking to alexa will be more of an effort than using my phone/tablet.

It's genuinely not more effort and works really well... BUT...

The biggest limitation I have at the moment with it having only one.

It works fine, and I use it for some stuff, but having a large 5 bedroom house I feel like I need one in every room before I'll see the real benefit.

At the moment I've got it in the hall so that in theory I can use it from a number of rooms. But in practice, if the TV's on, it has a hard time telling when to stop listening once I've finished a command.

In turn this means I need to have it in the living room to make the most of it, but then I can't use it from the dinning room, or either of our studies...

In all, I do probably need one of those 6 packs to make the most of it, but then it's £250 down the hole and the software maturity (i.e. lack of native Sonos integration, Logitech Harmony is only coming to the UK in a "few months" and IFTTT not available on the UK version either for some stupid reason) means it's a tough sell for me at the moment.

But yeah, probably best holding off for the moment :)

Soldato
Can you "group" commands (i.e. activating a smart socket, setting a Hue scene, and activating a Harmony activity) so that they all activate with one voice command?

Caporegime
This is so cool. We've currently got it linked to the TV, music, Philips hue spotlights and the heating. That coupled with the phone unlocked house doors makes me feel like I'm living in the future. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom