Amazon Echo - anyone have one?

Soldato
I was impressed to see my Netatmo integration has improved already.

Over the past few weeks the skill has been updated so when you tell Alexa to set the thermostat temperature, she then asks for how long. This is a very nice addition!

Associate
Associate
I have one and thinking of selling it, its soo annoying i have to repeat myself as it does not understand me, have to repeat 4 to 6 times to turn on my hive heating.

Caporegime
I have a logitech harmony One

Just ordered a Logitech Hub and Echo Dot :p

Things you do when your bored...

Can I say stuff like BBC 1 HD and ITV HD to the echo and it just chnage channel?

can I say Apple TV pause? rewind? etc...

Cam I get rid of of all my remotes including the Harmony one? Apple TV remote and amazon fire TV remote?

Soldato
Bare in mind, whatever noise is coming out of your TV will interfere with it listening to you. Not to say it doesn't work, but I tend to pause my podcasts for example when I need to talk to Alexa.

**EDIT** Also, my Nest has stopped working with the Echo. If I say 'set hallway temperature to 22 degrees' it tells me that command doesn't work with that device. It all looks set right in the Echo app. Anyone else had this? It worked a few weeks back just fine.

Associate
I think its great for playing nursery rhymes and music for the kids, I've got an Echo and two Dot's (connected to Bose speakers). Its also good for giving countdowns when stuff is in the oven or finding out quickly what the weather will be like tomorrow.

I sometimes have it on playing an audiobook when I'm trying to get to sleep plus get the news briefing as I get ready in the morning.

So we use ours everyday, we could do without it, but its an information/entertainment device which works well.

Soldato
I think I am going to hold off a while longer too. There is supposed to be a battery pack (3rd party) being released for the Dot which would be a need for me. My ideal use will be in the bathroom to control the Sonos that is piped into my ceiling speaker.

Love the idea of having loads of them dotted around but will use just one initially.

Soldato
One skill I like, when I wake up "Alexa, ask National Rail about my commute" and it gives me any details of delays on my full commute into the City (train and tube).

Also "Alexa, ask Uber to order me a cab" is great as well.

Of course these things can be done on the phone but it's a lot quicker to just talk if you are getting ready to go somewhere.

Associate
I think I am going to hold off a while longer too. There is supposed to be a battery pack (3rd party) being released for the Dot which would be a need for me. My ideal use will be in the bathroom to control the Sonos that is piped into my ceiling speaker.

Love the idea of having loads of them dotted around but will use just one initially.

Its USB powered, so you could use any external battery pack like the ones used to charge phones.

Back
Top Bottom