Amazon Echo - anyone have one?

Soldato
It is interesting the Google versions are happy in numbers. ie: If you have a number around the house they're aware of this, so I assume multiples don't react to your voice at the same time. Where as, the Echo still cannot do this!

Associate
The only features of Google Home which are better IMO:

1) Direct access to Google search, but Alexa does reference Wikipedia so not too bad.
2) Google Chromecast integration, so playing stuff directly on the TV with voice commands. I think Alexa should be getting this too with Fire TV.

Overall, I think Alexa has more useful features, especially if you're a Prime member.

Soldato
The only features of Google Home which are better IMO:

1) Direct access to Google search, but Alexa does reference Wikipedia so not too bad.
2) Google Chromecast integration, so playing stuff directly on the TV with voice commands. I think Alexa should be getting this too with Fire TV.

Overall, I think Alexa has more useful features, especially if you're a Prime member.

I must admit I'm confused what the purpose of showing our Fire TV in the "Settings" in the Alex Android app is?

What's it there to achieve?

EDIT: Just found this - https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201859020

Last edited:
Associate
Looks like Alexa plays well with Philips Hue, definitely interested in that. Andy are you planning on expanding to other smart home things? Curious to know how well Alexa operates in the UK with Samsung smartthings and the various products it supports.

Caporegime
It is interesting the Google versions are happy in numbers. ie: If you have a number around the house they're aware of this, so I assume multiples don't react to your voice at the same time. Where as, the Echo still cannot do this!

Got an image of something along the lines of the Minions from Despicable me going in my head.

Soldato
Looks like Alexa plays well with Philips Hue, definitely interested in that. Andy are you planning on expanding to other smart home things? Curious to know how well Alexa operates in the UK with Samsung smartthings and the various products it supports.

I've not really looked into Samsung Smartthings yet. Tbh I'm beginning to worry about plug sockets and network points running out! I had to unplug the Android TV to plug in the Philips Hue Bridge...

How many things can I have safely plugged in to one wall socket? :)

Caporegime
I've not really looked into Samsung Smartthings yet. Tbh I'm beginning to worry about plug sockets and network points running out! I had to unplug the Android TV to plug in the Philips Hue Bridge...

How many things can I have safely plugged in to one wall socket? :)

I think my record is around 20....didn't have the balls to push it more.

Soldato
Man of Honour
Ah! So glad you've mentioned this... I was sort of thinking since I'd been thinking of picking up a portable speaker I could carry about the house already then maybe I'd go for one of these but if it needs tethering to a power supply I think it's probably out :p

I think you can get power pack add-ons but it does kinda diminish the value of it somewhat.

One thing I've found amusing/insightful/scary(?) is how quickly my toddler learned to use it, thankfully he only says "Lexa, moosic please!" and stuff like that.

Man of Honour
Got ours up and running. Impressed by the voice recognition. My wife won't stop playing music but I can switch her off with the remote control. Now time to take a look at some home control.

Associate
Got my echo working with my home automation controller (Homeseer). My kit is zwave based. I can now use Echo to control everything my automation controller can (which is pretty much everything). Lights, AV equipment, blinds, CCTV cameras etc.
Quite impressed really.

Permabanned
Of these home automation devices which is the best for communicating to them when you are not within range of the microphone i.e. live in a big house? Is it possible to talk to them using a phone or fitness band (with mic)? Do any of them allow you to operate them remotely over an internet connection?

Back
Top Bottom