Amazon Echo - anyone have one?

Associate
Been playing around with the skills apis. Got echo working well with a Xiaomi yeelight led bulb(£13 for RGB one no hub required). Can turn on and off and set brightness via home api so no need to invoke a skill name.
Also got kodi to work well with it although this was mostly done by someone else I've added some CEC commands so my kodi(on pi3) can turn on and off my tv via echo.
All works well when she hears us.

Soldato
My gf got one yesterday, constantly disconnects from wifi.. and it sits not far away from the router. Same room, nothing blocking it. My phone/other WiFi devices work fine.

This dies and needs to go through the wbole setup process to connect to WiFi again. My gf must've done it 10 times today.

Caporegime
My gf got one yesterday, constantly disconnects from wifi.. and it sits not far away from the router. Same room, nothing blocking it. My phone/other WiFi devices work fine.

This dies and needs to go through the wbole setup process to connect to WiFi again. My gf must've done it 10 times today.

Faulty one ?

Soldato

Something isn't right there, I have taken mine to work, hotels all sorts of places and I've never had to set up WiFi again on access points I've previously connected to.

Caporegime
Ok got mine setup...

Got it playing me some music and turning off and on my lounge light...:D

It's so convenient for music without the need to search or faff with any apps...

logutech hub beckons now to get all my cinema system voice controlled :p

POB

POB

Soldato
Interesting just found you can bypass the Add On Item restriction on Amazon by ordering via Alexa.

It orders cheap things (with Prime) without forcing you to spend £20.

Soldato
Something isn't right there, I have taken mine to work, hotels all sorts of places and I've never had to set up WiFi again on access points I've previously connected to.

Yup! Figured it out, it was the Bluetooth speaker that was connected to it.. ???? Disconnect the speaker and it works fine, as soon as you connect it up it drops the WiFi connection after a few minutes. No idea why??

Caporegime
I've spent all weekend with Alexa and I have to say its the best tech purchase I have made in the last decade.

I'm now listening to more music and radio and being able to turn lights off by voice is a revelation.

I've signed up to £3.99 per month amazon music for the echo. Its just so convenient having any song or album or genre in your head to be played anytime by just asking...

This skill alone is worth the £39.99 I paid! Next up is full voice command of my home cinema system.

Soldato
I've spent all weekend with Alexa and I have to say its the best tech purchase I have made in the last decade.

I'm now listening to more music and radio and being able to turn lights off by voice is a revelation.

I've signed up to £3.99 per month amazon music for the echo. Its just so convenient having any song or album or genre in your head to be played anytime by just asking...

This skill alone is worth the £39.99 I paid! Next up is full voice command of my home cinema system.

Be aware the Logitech skill isn't out in the UK yet.

Man of Honour
Tempted to get one but hearing all sorts about how bad TuneIn is for radio in the UK and how limited UK functionality is, it puts me off a bit :(

Would be ideal though if they were decent

Man of Honour
Noticed they've been a bit cheeky with the Music side of things, basically even if you are a Prime customer there is now an additional outlay for "Amazon Unlimited" to get some of the catalogue. Integrated into Alexa so if you ask for Music you don't have it will try and and push the add-on service. I'm sure some I used to be able to get for free has now moved into the Unlimited branch...

Caporegime
Noticed they've been a bit cheeky with the Music side of things, basically even if you are a Prime customer there is now an additional outlay for "Amazon Unlimited" to get some of the catalogue. Integrated into Alexa so if you ask for Music you don't have it will try and and push the add-on service. I'm sure some I used to be able to get for free has now moved into the Unlimited branch...

Amazon prime music is the add on for 2 million songs

The 3.99 service is basically the same as Spotify or apple music catalogue and
for 3.99 a bargain.

Alexa works with the base free amazon music service you get with prime.

Back
Top Bottom