Amazon Echo - anyone have one?

Associate
Yeah, ive just looked at it, and there are 2 options to use to sign up to Amazon Music unlimitied - £7.99/month or £79/year, both for Prime subscirbers only. So for me as a Prime subscirber, I could save £40 for the year if I cancel my £10/month Deezer and go to music unlimited.

Associate
Amazon Music is streaming on more devices than your subscription allows. Click Continue to start streaming music on this device instead.

Surely this is a bit naff considering they want you to put many echos around the home? Currently someones listening to something on an echo, and i logged into the web interface to stream some stuff and get the message above. I'm still in the trial period of music unlimited and have amazon prime. So basically if one person is listening then no one else can listen at all? Maybe i'm missing something, it seems so limiting otherwise..

Last edited:
Associate
It is, because theres no method as far as i can see which enables one person to listen to something in the kitchen and one person to listen to something else in the living room? You might as well just get a dot subscription for 3.99 as you can effectively listen to it in only 1 location. Unless the dots are "one device" and can actually do this and the web interface is being treated differently (i don't know my other ones haven't arrived yet)

Caporegime
It is, because theres no method as far as i can see which enables one person to listen to something in the kitchen and one person to listen to something else in the living room? You might as well just get a dot subscription for 3.99 as you can effectively listen to it in only 1 location.

You need family for that...

Soldato
Surely this is a bit naff considering they want you to put many echos around the home? Currently someones listening to something on an echo, and i logged into the web interface to stream some stuff and get the message above. I'm still in the trial period of music unlimited and have amazon prime. So basically if one person is listening then no one else can listen at all? Maybe i'm missing something, it seems so limiting otherwise..

If it didn't work like this, I could sign up and then let all my mates listen on my account.

It's exactly the same for Spotify and I would assume Apple Music too.

Last edited:
Associate
You need family for that...

You can't buy family yet, not that i'm sure that answers the question if the dots can stream concurrently, even with this plan

If it didn't work like this, I could sign up and then let all my mates listen on my account.

It's exactly the same for Spotify and I would assume Apple Music too.

Which is fine, i'm more concerned about the echos and if they have the same behavior or are treated as a single device. The bottom line is i live in a house with other people (horror) and will be putting echos in a bunch of rooms. So would like people to be able to concurrently listen to music on the echos, and currently no amount of money seems to allow this.

Soldato
You can't buy family yet, not that i'm sure that answers the question if the dots can stream concurrently, even with this plan

Which is fine, i'm more concerned about the echos and if they have the same behavior or are treated as a single device. The bottom line is i live in a house with other people (horror) and will be putting echos in a bunch of rooms. So would like people to be able to concurrently listen to music on the echos, and currently no amount of money seems to allow this.

£15 for a family Amazon unlimited account, once it's released.

Then use profiles on the echos, different profile logged into each echo. You can swap profiles whenever you want or need to.

I assume this would work once there is a family plan, would need to be tested though. I hope to do this for my kids once they are a bit older and want music in their rooms.

Last edited:
Soldato
A few questions, sorry if this has been covered before:
1. I'm thinking of getting one of these for my dad for Xmas. How easy is it to set up with Nest, and for his calendar etc? I don't want to play his IT support!

2. I may get myself a dot, mostly for use with Sonos when that's released. How is the speaker on the Dot, if/when I want to take it outside to use with bluetooth?

3. Anything else worth bearing in mind?

Thanks!!

Soldato
1. I'm thinking of getting one of these for my dad for Xmas. How easy is it to set up with Nest, and for his calendar etc? I don't want to play his IT support!

1. Not sure with Nest, calendar only works with Google currently so if you use MS services at the moment not found a way to easily make that work.

2. I may get myself a dot, mostly for use with Sonos when that's released. How is the speaker on the Dot, if/when I want to take it outside to use with bluetooth?

2. My boss as a dot and the speaker is ok for a small unit, certain no where near as good as the echo

3. There are some services not available on the UK version, also the ITTT does not work probally with UK Echo stuff

Caporegime
Are none of you concerned about having a device in your home which listens to every single thing that happens behind closed doors?

Maybe I'm being paranoid but the thought of willingly handing over all my personal conversations and "other sounds" to a company just doesn't sit right with me.

Soldato

1. Not sure with Nest, calendar only works with Google currently so if you use MS services at the moment not found a way to easily make that work.

2. My boss as a dot and the speaker is ok for a small unit, certain no where near as good as the echo

3. There are some services not available on the UK version, also the ITTT does not work probally with UK Echo stuff

In terms of sound, I'm just after something which will sound as good as the average £30 bluetooth speaker, so it doesn't have to be great. I use my Sonos most of the time, but just when I'm on holiday or outside it would be nice to have.

Edit: And Google is perfect, that's all he uses.

Soldato
You can't take the dot outside it has to be connected to power to work.

They do the Amazon tap in America, which would be what you're after. Doesn't seem to be any info on when or if this will be released in the UK.

Soldato
Are none of you concerned about having a device in your home which listens to every single thing that happens behind closed doors?

Maybe I'm being paranoid but the thought of willingly handing over all my personal conversations and "other sounds" to a company just doesn't sit right with me.

it did cross my mind a few times.. doubt amazon is interested in me talking about new bath or a bmw.

I'm still 50/50 on it tho

Soldato
Think I'm about to cave and get one. Seems like it would be a bit of fun. I'm not even sure I'd use a fraction of the full featureset, but being able to play music from my phone through proper speakers, or stream from Amazon Music.
Just noticed they can order from Just Eat.... That sounds dangerous! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom