Amazon Echo - anyone have one?

Caporegime
you must have ditched it over a year ago then.

About this time last year.

Regardless of Amazon Prime it now offers, the 4k is just faster (than the Roku 3 that i had), and the Amazon interface is more modern and slick.

Actually I think between the 3 (ATV, Roku, Fire 4k), which I have had all 3, Fire 4k has the best interface.

Caporegime
but again fire tv is not the fire stick, the fire stick is under powered.

But the Fire stick is like £35, Roku 3 is comparable to the price of Fire 4k.

I actually had the Fire stick, it sat in the corner unopened for about 9 months that i had it and I gave it away to a friend. I actually never even tried it. Bought it because it was £17 on Amazon Black Friday back in 2014. 3 months later I decide to get the 4k.

Man of Honour
But the Fire stick is like £35, Roku 3 is comparable to the price of Fire 4k.

and you have the roku stick that is comparable to the fire stick and same price.
the fire tv with 4k is equivalent to the roku 4 which unfortunately isn't released in the uk yet.
but i don't understand how any of these posts has to do with what i initially said which was about the stick not the tv.

Caporegime
and you have the roku stick that is comparable to the fire stick and same price.
the fire tv with 4k is equivalent to the roku 4 which unfortunately isn't released in the uk yet.
but i don't understand how any of these posts has to do with what i initially said which was about the stick not the tv.

The point was you mentioned the Roku.

return the stick its underpowered and bad, get a roku instead, wish i had :(
roku also has far more apps.

You didn't specify which one, seeing you can't really compare to the Roku 2 as that is ancient, Roku 3 is the next one up and the stick, well...didn't know they make that and 4k isn't that much more, in fact, half the price of ATV3.

Having compared to the speed of the 4k to Roku 3, 4k is the best bang for buck of the lot. Not the Stick, not Roku, not even Apple TV.

That's my point.

Soldato
Fire stick is for my son to replace his Chromecast as we are moving away from Plex to Prime. Will do some reading and have a look at a Roku thanks :)

As for lights, already looking at a Phillips Hue setup to replace my bulbs. I need to switch everything to LED anyway and the bulbs themselves aren't too bad on price. The £140 bridge will sting but at least its only a one off cost.

The bridge is not £140, that's the price for a starter kit with three bulbs and the bridge.

Anyhow, Alexa is starting to **** me off.

I like to listen to a local radio station, 'Key 103'.

'Alexa, play station Key one o three'
'playing tune-in Q one hundred and three'
'ALEXA, play station Key one hundred and three'
'sorry cannot find station que one hundred and three'
'ALEXA, play station one hundred and three FM'
-plays some foreign station???
'Alexa, play station 'Capital Manchester''
'playing tune-in Capital Manchester'

The machine won :(

Might hold off buying any more dot's until Google Home is released in the UK.

Last edited:
Soldato
Fire stick is for my son to replace his Chromecast as we are moving away from Plex to Prime. Will do some reading and have a look at a Roku thanks :)

As for lights, already looking at a Phillips Hue setup to replace my bulbs. I need to switch everything to LED anyway and the bulbs themselves aren't too bad on price. The £140 bridge will sting but at least its only a one off cost.

Better off mixing prime and Plex tbh.

The hub does look good, its next on my list as well :)

Kimbie

Permabanned
Haven't had time to mess with it yet but Logitech released the Skill for native Harmony support in the UK today :)

Edit - Seems alright but isn't letting me add Friendly Names which is a bummer as it doesn't seem to understand me saying Fire TV, it's also a bit annoying having to say "Alexa, tell harmony to turn on..." instead of "Alexa, turn on...".

Last edited:
Soldato
Quick question, can i request songs / albums by voice from my spotify? I've got so many play lists and albums set up on spotify and i really don't fancy subbing to Amazon unlimited and setting them all up again.

Caporegime
Haven't had time to mess with it yet but Logitech released the Skill for native Harmony support in the UK today :)

Edit - Seems alright but isn't letting me add Friendly Names which is a bummer as it doesn't seem to understand me saying Fire TV, it's also a bit annoying having to say "Alexa, tell harmony to turn on..." instead of "Alexa, turn on...".

Harmony integration seems gimped from what I gather compare to the US?

I have to say "Alexa, tell Harmony to turn on TV"

As opposed to "Alexa, turn on TV".

I don't have to say "Alexa, tell Philips Hue to turn on lights."

Also, when I ask it to turn up the volume, it moves it by a factor of 20 on the Sony...which means can go from mute to normal level (o to 20) but if I am at quiet around say 15 on the scale....asking it to turn it up gets to ridiculous level and by the time I say "Alexa, tell harmony....to turn turn it down" it's already really loud!

Back
Top Bottom