Amazon Echo - anyone have one?

Soldato
Check the app, it'll tell you what it think it heard

and you can even listen to what it heard

Mine has done it a couple of times now, but then I realise I'm listening to a tech podcast and they just mentioned Alexa...

The TV can set it off, and the people on the TV doesn't necessarily need to say Alexa, at least not that it sounds like Alexa to me.

Ok thanks.

By the way do these things get software/fix updates automatically?

Soldato
I thought alexa needed a pin code to allow shopping through it. It does on mine anyway and I figured it was a default option.

I set a PIN on mine for purchasing after my other half tried to order some diamond earrings as a 'joke'. ;)

However even if something was ordered accidentally I get an email, plus a notification on the Amazon app so I would know straight away and either cancel it or refuse delivery. Even without that then you would be able to return any accidentally ordered items no problem if you explained what had happened. I love how the media overblow these things.

Soldato
Hmm.

Just spent a small fortune on the philups hue lights to find that half of them won't show up on the app.
And alexa is refusing to connect to the bridge.

Ffs

Soldato
Hmm.

Just spent a small fortune on the philups hue lights to find that half of them won't show up on the app.
And alexa is refusing to connect to the bridge.

Ffs

Mine was fine,had them set up in 10 mins.

Try uninstalling alexa or the philips hue.

What app are you using ?....android,apple,windows ?

Soldato
Mine was fine,had them set up in 10 mins.

Try uninstalling alexa or the philips hue.

What app are you using ?....android,apple,windows ?

I managed to get it working in the end.

Had to do a couple of restarts and get my google account linked.

Works a treat now.

Its great, I get into bed and tell Alexa to turn my lights off, very odd.

And in the morning i told her to turn them on 20% so i didnt blind myself :D

Soldato
I managed to get it working in the end.

Had to do a couple of restarts and get my google account linked.

Works a treat now.

Its great, I get into bed and tell Alexa to turn my lights off, very odd.

And in the morning i told her to turn them on 20% so i didnt blind myself :D

I cant fault her and the Philips hue,im going to get another dot (will make3 in total) with this deal...https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MSYQ...lid=1VFHJQT7EP6FC&coliid=I10W702FTF61KU&psc=1 (when it comes back in stock)

Going to get a led strip and 2 more bulbs for now,will replace all my lights in the next year or so.

Soldato
The one thing that frustrates me with these light bulbs, and one reason why I'm yet to purchase any (aside from the huge price), is that you're basically disabling your light switches. I can't stand redundancies like that!

I've done some research into wifi switches, and apparently they really don't work properly in the UK.

Soldato
I quite often still use my light switches. As I leave, it is often easier just to flip the switch to turn the lights off. Almost always when I get home I switch on at the switch (if Alexa turned them off for me, it's just a second flip and they come on).

Voice activation is for sat at PC, lying on bed watching TV or going to bed at night. :)

Soldato
The one thing that frustrates me with these light bulbs, and one reason why I'm yet to purchase any (aside from the huge price), is that you're basically disabling your light switches. I can't stand redundancies like that!

I've done some research into wifi switches, and apparently they really don't work properly in the UK.

If you want 100% light then use the switch. I use it in the bathroom for when alexa is just a little to far away and i cba to raise my voice.
Double click the switch and its on 100%.

The great thing about these is that they instantly reconnect again so there is no worry in breaking the connection between the hub and the light by using the light switch.

Associate
We had this issue, turns out that the Echo doesn't yet support the Wemo lightbulbs....

Great....

Controls our Wemo Insight plugs fine, but not the bulbs. That's why we're looking at changing to Hue. If we can find the B22 starter set anywhere.

Yep turns out after hours of googling on christmas day I finally found this bit of info buried somewhere on a Belkin support forum thread. Amazon don't mention this anywhere on their product page for the Echo, just say it works with Wemo. Sent them an email to complain and got back a response saying 'sorry I can't see an Echo registered with your email address please email from that account'. It was a gift for my mum and she isn't gonna go to the effort of complaining when she hasn't paid for it. Rubbish.

Funnily enough she bought an Echo dot as well as an xmas present and also a Phillips Hue starter kit.

Soldato
I have an Echo Dot and Harmony hub - it works but is a little bit frustrating as it doesn't always do what I ask, the phrase "Alexa, tell harmony to switch on the tv" is a little long winded and the setup is a pain!

Still am enjoying playing with it, and luckily my 2yo boy can only say "lexa" which it doesn't recognise :)

Soldato
I have an Echo Dot and Harmony hub - it works but is a little bit frustrating as it doesn't always do what I ask, the phrase "Alexa, tell harmony to switch on the tv" is a little long winded and the setup is a pain!

Still am enjoying playing with it, and luckily my 2yo boy can only say "lexa" which it doesn't recognise :)

Install the Yanonomi skill (that's a typo it has to be :p) - You can teach it to perform activities, I simply say "Alexa, turn on the TV" and that's it. It triggers my TV action.

Back
Top Bottom