Amazon Echo - anyone have one?

Soldato
If you use TuneIn or RadioPlayer, you can just say "open TuneIn" or "Open RadioPlayer" and it will revert back to the last radio station. ie: More like turning on your old radio.
Yes, but I usually start the day with Radio 2 and then switch to Radio 6 Music later in the day.
It just occurred to me - you don't say please with the commands - I don't know why but something about that now feels wrong despite the fact that there's no real need to as it's just a machine... Anybody else get that?

You can say please if it makes you feel better and she will respond just the same... you can even say "Yo Alexa" to activate if it makes you feel more 'street' :p

[EDIT] you will need to say please before asking the question - just tried it and it couldn't find BBC Radio Six Music Please :D

Last edited:
Associate
re the sound, it's loud enough, tinny compared to the Sonos play 1 next to it, but to be honest the convenience of just saying play my music means Sonos not been used at the moment

Soldato
re the sound, it's loud enough, tinny compared to the Sonos play 1 next to it, but to be honest the convenience of just saying play my music means Sonos not been used at the moment

I find the sound quality is fine. Ok, it's no where near as good as the BOSE speakers on my HiFi but it's a hell of a lot better than my DAB Radio - I'm not really much of an audiophile though to be honest so maybe I'm not the best judge!

Soldato
Is it not worth having an official Amazon Echo thread, or even an official Home Automation Thread?

I would be interested in keeping abreast with new gadgets which will tie in with my echo.

Soldato
Really need a modern teas-made for this... or an internet-of-things coffee machine

"Alexa, can you make me a coffee; flat-white with a little chocolate powder on top?"

Build it! This is what Alexa was designed for, invent!

Also ask her for "Tea, earl grey, hot"

Soldato
As a question, what do people get when asking Alexa to buy something from Amazon. I get:

"I'm sorry, but I can't help you shop right now. Soon you'll be able to ask me to buy millions of items using only your voice. In the meantime, you can always shop on Amazon."

Man of Honour
Set mine up today and it was pretty much as expected, a fun gimmick with some useful features (voice control music, sports updates etc). It was priced low enough that I figured it was worth a punt.

My wife said to me "Why did you get that? Is it to show off when we have people round?!?".... :O

The one downside, which I probably should have researched beforehand, was that it requires an external power source to function (unlike my other bluetooth speaker). I'd just assumed it had a built in battery that you charged up.

Soldato
So far I'm liking it a lot, yes its a gimmick but at least it works once you know how to talk to it.. my friends say I took to it like its a posh 5 year old girl. :D:o

I don't have the biggest house and it can pick up my voice from four different rooms.

I need to start exploring the additional things it can do. Spotify works well, getting the news is very useful if a bit long so I need to pick the news outlet on the app that suits.

OK... Challenge for the day...

Try and get Alexa to play music by Visage! eg: "Alexa play music by Visage"

I managed to get it to pickup Yiruma. I'll give Visage a try.

Soldato
The one downside, which I probably should have researched beforehand, was that it requires an external power source to function (unlike my other bluetooth speaker). I'd just assumed it had a built in battery that you charged up.

Ah! So glad you've mentioned this... I was sort of thinking since I'd been thinking of picking up a portable speaker I could carry about the house already then maybe I'd go for one of these but if it needs tethering to a power supply I think it's probably out :p

Soldato
I wont lie, I've not read the whole thread, I'll try and do that tomorrow evening. For now, here's my initial look at it :)

Quite enjoying it so far. I have classical music playing in the background as I check emails and forums! How sophisticated of me :)

Prime members could preorder for £100.

Quite annoyed I missed this. I don't think Amazon mailed me? (Or maybe I just thought I was waiting for Google Home) I got it with discount from John Lewis though, so not quite as bad I guess.

Soldato
Pre order 3 of the echo's but have cancelled the order.

Will see what google home is like later on and decide between the two.
I wasn't even aware of a google alternative being on the way :confused:

Hope it isn't (loads) better than the Echo! What audio library will it have access to for example compared to Amazon's prime catalogue?

Soldato
Google Home is on it's way in the US, could be some time I guess in the UK.

Personally I have no doubt it will be a better product as it's simply more open. Amazon like to try and force people into their eco system. (Why make a Fire Stick, just use a Chromecast)

Google also has a bigger music library. Not sure when it comes to audio books, but it's actually book library is pretty good I think. For Movies and TV I prefer Google too, plus it will likely play nicer with Netflix (for the openness reason)

Soldato
That's the issue, i'm a bit stuck with amazon at the moment as i'm a prime customer, use their video and music (which is a bit naff but when i'm paying x amount for prime, I don't fancy paying more for spotify or google, etc), other half has a kindle so i'm well integrated into the amazon setup.

Associate
Tempted to keep my Echo dot preorder despite Google Home looking to be the better product. No one seems to be able to give even a rough estimate to Home's arrival in the UK other than "next year"... unless I've missed something?

Nice video btw Andy.

Back
Top Bottom