Amazon Echo - anyone have one?

Friend of mine tells me to tell you lot to ask your echo's and dots what the Jedi code is :p

Feel free to post the answers!

There is a list of easter eggs here -> https://www.reddit.com/r/amazonecho..._of_known_easter_eggs_for_amazon_echo_so_far/

Of course the devs have a pretty good sense of humour, so the list will grow

I think this would be £100 on cyber Monday or Black Friday.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least, expect Echo Dot to be on there too.

OK so mine has arrived. Took five mins to setup and is already quite impressive.

1) Have hooked it up to my work calendar and it can remind me when I have meetings scheduled.
2) Set default music player to spotify and it now happily plays my playlists on demand.
3) Gives me news briefings and weather/traffic for the area.
4) Knows when my next amazon delivery is due.
5) Doesn't listen to my wife. :D

How do you set up option 5? :D

Nest is a 3rd party skill, not part of the main Alexa Smart Home. If you are searching with text for an option you are in the wrong section for Hue.

If you go to http://alexa.amazon.co.uk then 'Smart Home' on the side options, can you click 'Discover Devices' and then it prompts you to press the button on the Hue hub?

Although I've had an Echo for about a year from the US (have been able to turn it British English and point to .co.uk skills since this week), so maybe that's why it works in my account.

thanks for that!

Often the skills then ask you what you want to do. I've not used that one so can't say for sure. Try it and see.

I'll try... But the problem seems to be know what you can ask it to do. Can I ask it what the current temperature on the thermostat is for example? If so how? Can I tell it to raise the temperature to X for Y mins? etc...

Yeh, was hoping for a little more than that. I've seen other Echo integrations to similar systems include "for X mins..." for example...

I'll have a play...

So yes, seems like you can set a new temperature, but not for how long, or find out what the current temperature is set at. Shame...

eg: Alexa, what is the thermostat value?
or: Alexa, set the thermostat to 20 degrees for 60 minutes (ps: You can do this via the android app so the functionality is there)

I've had mine since Wednesday and I love it.

I have never really been a big fan of voice activation in anything if I am honest. Gaming on a console is a personal activity and not really for spectators so talking to your PS4 or Xbox One seems pointless to me and maybe a little intrusive to everyone else in the house. I feel the same way about using Siri, Cortana or Google now as if you have to ask your phone of computer something then no doubt you have the keyboard at hand and probably just want some info for yourself.

Alexa is different though as it's more of a social device for the whole family to use. I have an open plan living area/kitchen and it sits right where my DAB radio used to be.

Over the last few days we have used it loads as it now primarily replaces the radio. I come down in the morning, make myself a coffee and then just say "Alexa, play BBC Radio 2" and hey presto it does. As I am typing this I'm getting bored with radio 2 now so I just said "Alexa, play something by the Black Keys" and my listening enjoyment commences.

The kids get it to tell them jokes and ask it interesting and educational questions like "how far away is the sun" - something I didn't predict! The misses asks it questions too, like define the meaning of something - not having to get your phone out of your pocket to google something everything you need to fact check something is great, it's the little things like this which make the difference.

I will be interested to see what Google's new device does - I am usually a big fan of google, but i think Ok Google is way behind Siri and even further back from Alexa so we will wait and see.

Really need a modern teas-made for this... or an internet-of-things coffee machine

"Alexa, can you make me a coffee; flat-white with a little chocolate powder on top?"

It just occurred to me - you don't say please with the commands - I don't know why but something about that now feels wrong despite the fact that there's no real need to as it's just a machine... Anybody else get that?

I've had mine since Wednesday and I love it.

I have never really been a big fan of voice activation in anything if I am honest. Gaming on a console is a personal activity and not really for spectators so talking to your PS4 or Xbox One seems pointless to me and maybe a little intrusive to everyone else in the house. I feel the same way about using Siri, Cortana or Google now as if you have to ask your phone of computer something then no doubt you have the keyboard at hand and probably just want some info for yourself.

Alexa is different though as it's more of a social device for the whole family to use. I have an open plan living area/kitchen and it sits right where my DAB radio used to be.

Over the last few days we have used it loads as it now primarily replaces the radio. I come down in the morning, make myself a coffee and then just say "Alexa, play BBC Radio 2" and hey presto it does. As I am typing this I'm getting bored with radio 2 now so I just said "Alexa, play something by the Black Keys" and my listening enjoyment commences.

The kids get it to tell them jokes and ask it interesting and educational questions like "how far away is the sun" - something I didn't predict! The misses asks it questions too, like define the meaning of something - not having to get your phone out of your pocket to google something everything you need to fact check something is great, it's the little things like this which make the difference.

I will be interested to see what Google's new device does - I am usually a big fan of google, but i think Ok Google is way behind Siri and even further back from Alexa so we will wait and see.

If you use TuneIn or RadioPlayer, you can just say "open TuneIn" or "Open RadioPlayer" and it will revert back to the last radio station. ie: More like turning on your old radio.

Really need a modern teas-made for this... or an internet-of-things coffee machine

"Alexa, can you make me a coffee; flat-white with a little chocolate powder on top?"

It just occurred to me - you don't say please with the commands - I don't know why but something about that now feels wrong despite the fact that there's no real need to as it's just a machine... Anybody else get that?

You can say please if you want, it still works.

Back
Top Bottom