• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Amazon plagued with counterfeit Ryzens

Soldato
So it seems there's a wave of counterfeit Ryzen CPUs doing the rounds on Amazon:

i_Wek_Iiuf_Bt_Ht9_Lgw.jpg

It appears some unscrupulous types are mass buying Ryzen CPUs then RMAing them with these obviously not Ryzens in the box and it's close enough to fool the technically illiterate people in the RMA department.

I'm not sure if this is terrible, ingenious or a mix of both lol.

Caporegime
Amazon need to employ some decent RMA people to check returns, I bought a kit of 4 RAM once and it arrived looking like it had been opened and there was only 2 sticks inside. If your returns people can't even differentiate between 2 and 4 they've got no chance with counterfeit goods.

Soldato
If its not listed as sold directly by Amazon don't buy. Simple as is. Thats the case for almost everything on marketplace these days or least anything thats in demand. 99% of the "genuine" DS3 controllers sold there are fakes.

It appears some unscrupulous types are mass buying Ryzen CPUs then RMAing them with these obviously not Ryzens in the box and it's close enough to fool the technically illiterate people in the RMA department.

Judging by the number of reports of fake gfx cards (heavy weight in a box instead of an actual card) I'm pretty sure they do minimal checking on DSR returns, if any.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The memory I bought was sold by Amazon, the problem is they don't seem to check returns very well so people are taking advantage. It's either that or they mix their stock with that of traders (fulfilled by) and the traders are sending them bad batches.

Associate
I'm not sure if this is terrible, ingenious or a mix of both lol.

Definitely terrible. This adds overheads to Amazon's operating costs (ok, minuscule in compared to their overall costs) but ultimately if it happens a lot, Amazon will increase their prices to pay people to check more thoroughly. Having said that, until it happens enough that it costs them more than paying a salary for someone to check, it will be easier for them just to handle the cases when it happens.

What I do wonder though is what happens if an even more ingenious person does a double bluff. What's to stop someone who received a real ryzen saying "You sent me a counterfeit chip!" when they got a real one, then sending back their old i5....

This has been a problem on ebay for years, I've read several cases (possibly even a few on here) where someone has sold a GPU, had it returned and been sent a much older GPU back by the buyer. Ebay/Paypal then side with the buyer and the seller has to give a refund :(

Soldato
Been happening with GPU for years now still catches people out who order say a 1080ti and in the box is a gtx 580.
Similar thing happend to me buying a warehouse deal EVGA GTX 980 around December 2015, when they had that extra 20% off the prices. When I opened the EVGA box their was a GTX 460 or 470 in there. Amazon refunded me straight away.

So whoever bought the GTX 980 from Amazon stock must have replaced it and sent it back under the Consumer Contracts Regulations act.

These people should be investigated and brought to justice, fraud is fraud.

Soldato
These people should be investigated and brought to justice, fraud is fraud.

I'm quite sure that Amazon know exactly who the previous buyer/returner was and will pursue the ones where the product value is high. Problem is poor sods who DO get a 1050 instead of a 1080 and don't know the difference so just fit it and run it...

These people will exist, and sometimes the fraudster will get away with it :/

Associate
I'm quite sure that Amazon know exactly who the previous buyer/returner was and will pursue the ones where the product value is high. Problem is poor sods who DO get a 1050 instead of a 1080 and don't know the difference so just fit it and run it...

These people will exist, and sometimes the fraudster will get away with it :/

I hadn't thought of that. Though I can't imagine it's that common, it says the GPU model in Windows so it should be fairly obvious after it's fitted, even if it's not when just looking at the card.

Back
Top Bottom