• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Amazon plagued with counterfeit Ryzens

Caporegime
What? Have you been under a rock the past 6 months?

Not sure if sarcasm....

Ryzen is a minor blip in a long and boring saga, if that's what you're on about. Though i guess the mining profits for AMD might keep them afloat and perhaps force Intel to do something other than be a very nice 23k golden snail.

Soldato
Ryzen is a minor blip in a long and boring saga, if that's what you're on about. Though i guess the mining profits for AMD might keep them afloat and perhaps force Intel to do something other than be a very nice 23k golden snail.

What are you expecting from CPU's?
We have a company giving higher clock speeds than been available for years.
We have another bringing more cores to the mainstream.

This has been the best CPU battles we have had in a long long time..

Soldato
I buy quite a lot on Amazon but fortunately have never been a victim of this.

I do return things though and they refund me instantly, as soon as the post office scans the return label, I get a refund. This is great for me but obviously people are taking the mick.

I guess even though this happens, it's still not worth their time investigating and they just take the hit.

I must admit though, core things like CPU, GFX I always buy from OCUK or their main competitor depending on price. I like OCUK but sometimes, their prices are just stupid. My loyalty is to my money!

Soldato
I had to wait quite a while, about 5 days (ok not long but by today's standards, quite a while) for Amazon to refund me from a faulty warehouse deal 1070, presumably they checked it properly because it was returned to them via their locker so it was scanned straight away as being returned.

I think any potential scammers are taking a decent risk, unless they don't actually live at the delivery address.

Soldato
Thought it was only AMD that glued their chips together? :p

Some old Xeons and stuff were even classier...

r88MCqtg.jpg

(Unless this is a cunning photoshop, but I'm 90% sure I remember a dubious flirtation with double pentium4 chips on a single package... It didn't end well. Nor did this guy's delid :D )

Soldato
OP
r88MCqtg.jpg

(Unless this is a cunning photoshop, but I'm 90% sure I remember a dubious flirtation with double pentium4 chips on a single package... It didn't end well. Nor did this guy's delid :D )

The Pentium D was basically two downclocked Pentium 4 dies on the same chip, they had nothing to compete with the Athlon 64 X2 so had to resort to putting out chicken **** and trying to blag/trick everyone into believing it was chicken salad until the Core Duo was ready.

Soldato
Some old Xeons and stuff were even classier...

r88MCqtg.jpg

Pretty sure the Core 2 Quads was like as well. See, Intel has been using glue well before AMD!

EDIT: And it seems to be pretty bad glue from the looks of it: http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/9...entsfield_arrives_with_four_cores/index2.html

Seriously though, luckily these fakes don't have pins so it shouldn't damage the socket unless a lot of force was used...

Last edited:
Associate
I bought an i3-4160 once 2nd hand and a crappy Core 2 Pentium arrived instead in the i3 box with cooler. Think it was something like an E5200 or something.

Thankfully getting a refund wasn't an issue but you do get a bit worried, wondering if they'll think you yourself are in fact trying to pull some sort of scam....

Associate
i THINK IF THE lettering is too crisp and nice then its a fake .. even on the new chips from intel the lettering is quite faint. I am worried now tho that I bought a s/h i5 4590t for silly money and it may not even BE an i5..I havent had time/oppo to test it yet ...

Associate
haha thats good ... but its sitting in a small plastic bag inside a small plastic box which is inside a large plastic box, which has about twenty sata cables and twenty power leads ...and ten network cables, plus I always dock my bar on the top of the screen (23%+ productivity )
NB it was a CEX crime ..

Man of Honour
The Pentium D was basically two downclocked Pentium 4 dies on the same chip, they had nothing to compete with the Athlon 64 X2 so had to resort to putting out chicken **** and trying to blag/trick everyone into believing it was chicken salad until the Core Duo was ready.

The Pentium D were an abomination - funny thing was some of them overclocked like absolute crazy but still couldn't touch the Athlon X2, etc. or the Core CPUs that came after it. The Core 2 Quads for all their on paper "gluing together" worked pretty well in reality and in modern multi-core tests don't show any penalties versus more modern approaches (obviously slower CPUs as an overall package).

Soldato
I'm quite sure that Amazon know exactly who the previous buyer/returner was and will pursue the ones where the product value is high. Problem is poor sods who DO get a 1050 instead of a 1080 and don't know the difference so just fit it and run it...

These people will exist, and sometimes the fraudster will get away with it :/

To be honest if someone can buy a £6-700 graphics card and they don't have the knowledge to check that its the correct one then maybe they shouldn't buy one. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom