• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Amazon plagued with counterfeit Ryzens

Soldato
To be honest if someone can buy a £6-700 graphics card and they don't have the knowledge to check that its the correct one then maybe they shouldn't buy one. :rolleyes:

To be fair, I could go buy a mid spec BMW without knowing how to check the engine was the one the salesman said... doesn't feel like this should preclude me from being allowed to buy a car though :D

Associate
Ryzen boxes have seals from AMD. How could they get replaced?
Read the OP as these aren't sealed brand new but customer returns in opened boxes that Amazon sell at discount.

I've bought a lot from Amazon Warehouse and had to return often due to faults or missing items but rarely because of the wrong item in the box.
But I have had some great bargains so happy overall.

Caporegime
Ryzen boxes have seals from AMD. How could they get replaced?

People are buying new CPUs from Amazon, keeping the shiny Ryzen and stuffing an old CPU in the box and returning them to Amazon.

The switch isn't picked up by the Amazon returns team (who aren't going to be doing anything other than a cursory glance) and then the returned items get sold via Amazon marketplace.

Soldato
Looking at my box I reckon you could slide it out the bottom. Or they are using a hair dryer on the seals.

The seals have cut corners. Any attempt at peeling it will destroy the seal.

As for getting the chip out without cutting or removing the seal? No chance.

I reckon these are market place sellers who have less quality control than amazon having this happen to.

The article

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-rma-fraud-on-amazon/

suggests they are simply "Fulfilled by Amazon" orders i.e. it is stock belonging to a 3rd party seller.

2vum05v.jpg

2mhxums.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
The seals have cut corners. Any attempt at peeling it will destroy the seal.

As for getting the chip out without cutting or removing the seal? No chance.

I reckon these are market place sellers who have less quality control than amazon having this happen to.

The article

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-rma-fraud-on-amazon/

suggests they are simply "Fulfilled by Amazon" orders i.e. it is stock belonging to a 3rd party seller.

2vum05v.jpg

2mhxums.jpg

You are looking at the wrong box :p

2z4zigp.jpg

1zmcrq8.jpg

Caporegime
Looks like you have the bottom sticker missing gavinh87.........................maybe it's a fake ? :p

20170719_185133002.jpg

The left hand side of that box as it's seen looks quite vulnerable to being pulled open like a door, you could then slide everything in and out and then stick it back together?

Back
Top Bottom