Amazon Prime sucks massive donkey balls

Man of Honour
The fault lies with Amazon's 'guaranteed prime delivery day', and then picking a delivery service that is not guaranteed for that.

Even if they pick tracked 24, Royal Mail just said that's not a guaranteed next day service and it can still take longer. If Amazon actually want to guarantee next day delivery they need to use special delivery or DPD.

Remember people pay £80 a year for this 'privilege', so if they guarantee next / specific day then it had better arrive on that day. At the least they expect you to wait two additional days if an item doesn't arrive, but any longer than that and they advertise a full refund whether it still turns up later or not.

The problem with Royal Mail is they won't leave the item in your 'safe place' and I've had this at least a dozen times.
Yesterday I had a RING notification and asked the Royal Mail postie if he would leave it in the blue dustbin that is about 4 foot from him on the other side of my 4 foot high gate but he refused and left it behind the plant pot.
At least he did leave it, the rest have refused and put them back on the van.

Associate
The problem with Royal Mail is they won't leave the item in your 'safe place' and I've had this at least a dozen times.
Yesterday I had a RING notification and asked the Royal Mail postie if he would leave it in the blue dustbin that is about 4 foot from him on the other side of my 4 foot high gate but he refused and left it behind the plant pot.
At least he did leave it, the rest have refused and put them back on the van.

Actually yes and no.

1) They are not allowed to leave items in your bin, and you cannot select your bins as a safe place.

2) I have rear porch selected as my safe place. They are still too lazy to walk 7 metres down the side of my house, open the garden door, and leave the item in back garden.

Many times they actually still leave my food orders in my green bin even though they are not meant to.

I discussed this with them today as well and mentioned all my Amazon deliveries say 'Safeplace - Rear Porch' on the label, and they actually claim they can't go based on what the label says and it must somehow be communicated to them through Amazon.

Except I also remember setting my Royal Mail preferences to my back garden sometime before as well.

Associate
Made another call to Royal Mail regarding the safeplace issue after closer inspecting my labels - They literally have name, address, then underneath that in a bolded box 'SAFEPLACE - Rear porch'.

Mainly mentioned that the person I spoke to earlier had said that 'Even if it says safeplace on the label, we don't know to leave it there unless Amazon have told us', and ofc this was a load of BS as well as Amazon clearly told them by writing it on every label.

My rear garden door is accessible from the main road too, and right behind my house wall. Even if they can't be bothered, simply leaving it on the front porch as they even do many times is far safer than putting it in the bin when theres usually food items in those deliveries.

Some of their delivery people can be bothered to leave it in my garden, most however can't. I had people mention previously that they aren't going to leave stuff in the back garden because theres often a dog there - I dont have a dog.

Oh, and I have a 'Please ring bell' sign on my front door and still most delivery people don't ring it.

Man of Honour
Maybe they're different companies and one has learnt their lesson on delivering to bins that get taken away on bin day.

They probably know that our binmen only empty bins that are put on the pavement and not halfway up the drive behind a gate.

Oh, and I have a 'Please ring bell' sign on my front door and still most delivery people don't ring it.

This is where a Ring Doorbell is very useful if they don't actually press it, within a couple of seconds of walking to my door I'm notified and can be talking to them if I'm out or I can just tap on the window at the side of me if I'm home.

Soldato
They probably know that our binmen only empty bins that are put on the pavement and not halfway up the drive behind a gate.

This is where a Ring Doorbell is very useful if they don't actually press it, within a couple of seconds of walking to my door I'm notified and can be talking to them if I'm out or I can just tap on the window at the side of me if I'm home.
If they're behind the gate how do they put parcels in there?

Associate
Funny they wont ever open my garden gate because my bins are in front, but open them looking for bins for others.

So if I put my bins it the back they would be more likely to go there to look for the bins rather than the rear porch.

Just had a look at these, surely the batteries can't last very long.

Man of Honour
If they're behind the gate how do they put parcels in there?

Those bins are also being watched by 2x Blinks

https://www.dmpoole.co.uk/pics/amazongate.jpg
amazongate.jpg

https://www.dmpoole.co.uk/pics/amazonblinks.jpg
amazonblinks.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Has anybody bought from Amazon Warehouse?
reduced one year warranty(where they would take care of repair) - can be a risk - see earlier discussions.

Royal Mail have left with my neighbours .. but otherwise, I get the point that safe places, are insecure, and they can't fulfill ther contract. ?

Associate
reduced one year warranty(where they would take care of repair) - can be a risk - see earlier discussions.

Royal Mail have left with my neighbours .. but otherwise, I get the point that safe places, are insecure, and they can't fulfill ther contract. ?

My back garden is fully enclosed with brick walls. Garden tools, shoes and patio mats left out with no issues. Most houses on my street have full garden furniture including fancy ornaments in the front, the house in front of mine uses and outdoor shoe rack to keep all their shoes.

Very safe isolated street, and I've had Royal Mail simply leave stuff in full view at the front door many times. Safeplace stuff is also mostly <£20 orders, I'm not going to expect a PC upgrade to be left outside without being signed for.

Last edited:
Soldato
I know it's not strictly a Prime thing, but you know what really boils my ****? The fact the closet Amazon Hub lockers to me are all 'Restricted Access' and require you to have security access in order to the buildings they're located in.

Soldato
I know it's not strictly a Prime thing, but you know what really boils my ****? The fact the closet Amazon Hub lockers to me are all 'Restricted Access' and require you to have security access in order to the buildings they're located in.

Yup. It always offers me the one situated in the building of a large satellite broadcaster as it's closest. Not that I'm allowed to use it, despite it being sat tantalisingly in the building reception which can be seen from the street!

Second closest one - a large utility company. That's in an industrial park with security guards on the gate, so it's less tantalising. :D

Associate
Now I'm pondering what would happen if one ever ordered a highly expensive 4 figures item using Prime / fulfilled by Amazon, its more than two days late, and you screenshot the 'Sorry its late, if it doesn't arrive by X, you get a full refund'.

That would be rather fun.

Soldato
Now I'm pondering what would happen if one ever ordered a highly expensive 4 figures item using Prime / fulfilled by Amazon, its more than two days late, and you screenshot the 'Sorry its late, if it doesn't arrive by X, you get a full refund'.

That would be rather fun.

A normal, rational person would simply get in touch and ask for the refund. You on the other hand, who knows what you'd do? Maybe get one of your wranglers to hunt down a lawyer for you so you can try scrounging some compensation.

Associate
A normal, rational person would simply get in touch and ask for the refund. You on the other hand, who knows what you'd do? Maybe get one of your wranglers to hunt down a lawyer for you so you can try scrounging some compensation.

I think you missed the whole point.

Amazon would most likely refuse that policy on much more expensive items.

If they did then it would need legal action to pursue.

Compensation is also never scrounging, it is only paid for legit reasons. Do you really think three judges on a tribunal are going to pay me anything for a frivolous lawsuit? I won once because it was a fully valid case. My second letter about my house while it didn't pay out now has a plumber coming on Tuesday and a painter in July for free.

Just the NHS left and that one might actually set me up for life. Stay salty though, its funny how much you envy me.

Back
Top Bottom