Amazon vs Google

Man of Honour
Someone needs to do this, it would be so easy to age catogry and content catogrize videos. Then advertise can select what age and content they want to display on.

Im sure for example violent video game videos would have plenty of advertisers, yet YouTube demontize them
Plenty of game developers, energy drinks etc would have no issue with it.

And YouTube is pretty important for media. For me at least it surpasses conventional TV by a X10 or more.

Cody had his entire channel removed for, and I am not joking here, politely asking why all of his videos had been demonitised. He makes chemistry videos on things like extracting metals from ore or waste, making transparent glass, the effect vacuum has on chemical reactions...nothing anyone could reasonably object to.

He never did find out why his videos had been demonitised. Google is now so deliberately abusive to the people who create content that makes money for Google that they will never even tell them what they're being punished for. There is no way to avoid being demonitised because there is no way to find out what will get a video demonitised. It certainly isn't about violence, sex or anything that simple. Politics seems to play a part, since centre and right seem to be targetted more than left, but even that much isn't clear.

Many content creators now use another video platform as a backup so they can at least tell their viewers what has happened if Google decide to arbitrarily ban them from Youtube without even bothering to tell them why. There is an opening for a company with enough relevant infrastructure (like Amazon) to supplant Youtube at the moment because Google is doing such a bad job of running Youtube.

Piracy will obviously get customers a better service than being caught in between companies competing against each other with little or no consideration for customers or even the content creators the company depends on.

Man of Honour
Cody had his entire channel removed for, and I am not joking here, politely asking why all of his videos had been demonitised. He makes chemistry videos on things like extracting metals from ore or waste, making transparent glass, the effect vacuum has on chemical reactions...nothing anyone could reasonably object to.

yep. as well as microwaving flies. in fact, 75% of youtubers follow have been demonetized. I think its prime time for a competitor. YouTubers can dual upload, it's not like the have to lave the safety of youtube. the vast majority of youtube seemed absolutely ****** off with YouTube god reason, there's no need for youtube to be so extreme, all they have to do is create age brackets and categories for advertisers to select hat ideos they ant to be played on, i is so smple compared tt he oher software oube has.

Man of Honour
Could the chemistry guy's video potentially have flagged something in the search algorithms relating to terrorist training via bomb making etc?

No, that was Thegn Thrand. Maybe. He did a video a few years ago about feudal Japanese pots that some people think might have been used as bombs. He didn't say anything about making the not really an explosive that might have been used in them. It was just a test to see if the hypothesis was historically plausible. It wasn't, although they might have been used for psychological impact.

But a big point is that nobody knows. It might have been because someone took a dislike to him and complained. Google deliberately witholds information from the people who make money for it on Youtube. That's not a good way to run a business and it's only Youtube's near total monopoly that allows it to run like that.

J.T

J.T

Soldato
Many of the people I work with are practically glued to YouTube. I spend at least half an hour most days watching something on there and often my go to for guides on how to do things, etc.

I must admit I am pretty much the same but the point is, if YouTube disappeared tomorrow your/my life would carry on and as for learning things there are other ways to learn either on the internet or off.

Soldato
Not really the same thing at all.

And yet, I know content producers who've moved their content from YouTube to Twitch. Not possible for everyone but certainly a viable alternative for many.

And it wouldn't take as much investment as starting from scratch to turn Twitch into a true YouTube competitor.

Soldato
Given I can't find my Fire stick controller i am really not that fussed but its a dirty move by both companies, local UK government should IP block both companies till they sort out their differences. It would be sorted within a week....

Soldato
Youtube has become the defacto video sharing website as much as facebook as become the default social media platform for normal people to communicate. It will take some doing to change that. Getting people off those platforms is the hardest thing.

The thing about the Youtube demonetisation it doesn't actually effect the end users that use it most so they tend to care less. Most Youtuber's these days diversify their income massively with march, referral links, bakes in adds, patreon etc.

Soldato
is some of the demonetisation just because the business model is not working -
- companies withdrawing advertisiing contracts because their advertising next to inappropriate material
- fear of legislation that causes them to have to rigorously review content / autheticate users

..... so no new comers (perisocope/live-me ...) will be able to avoid these issues either

withdrawing content that is little viewed so does not make money would seem logical too.
monetization strategy of provider getting payed if you just watched first 30s of their material always seemed a bit simplistic too. (is it still that ?)

Man of Honour
is some of the demonetisation just because the business model is not working -
- companies withdrawing advertisiing contracts because their advertising next to inappropriate material
- fear of legislation that causes them to have to rigorously review content / autheticate users

..... so no new comers (perisocope/live-me ...) will be able to avoid these issues either

withdrawing content that is little viewed so does not make money would seem logical too.
monetization strategy of provider getting payed if you just watched first 30s of their material always seemed a bit simplistic too. (is it still that ?)
they can easily avoid it, different advertisers will have different priorities. youtbe however have gone ultra safe, rather than introducing a system where YouTubers and categorise their videos and advertisers can select. some advertisers will happily advertise videos with swear words, or violent video games etc. do you think an advert for likee cod cares that its a gamer playing a violent shooter game.
so yes it is something another platform could easily fix.
On top of that youtubes algorithm has gone so insanely strict, its banning most videos, even those that are advertiser-friendly. and they get unblocked manually, however this takes a few days, and youtubers lose out on most revenue as the most views happen in the first 24hours.
it would probably increase advertising money as well, as advertisers would have more control over what type of videos their adverts our played on.

this is far from an issue that anyone else would have.

Soldato
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Soldato
you will have to explain the video relevance - ftwd ?

this is far from an issue that anyone else would have
not sure I understand the comment - with changes to legislation or more public concern for content 'validation' small guys will not have resources to do this,
effecive legislation would win UK votes.

Google/Youtube may get a better revenue from their growing USA tv channels and the new music streaming payed services
they can diversify away from the content problems, there are demands for them to show what profits they actually make from utube

Soldato
they can easily avoid it, different advertisers will have different priorities. youtbe however have gone ultra safe, rather than introducing a system where YouTubers and categorise their videos and advertisers can select. some advertisers will happily advertise videos with swear words, or violent video games etc. do you think an advert for likee cod cares that its a gamer playing a violent shooter game.
so yes it is something another platform could easily fix.
On top of that youtubes algorithm has gone so insanely strict, its banning most videos, even those that are advertiser-friendly. and they get unblocked manually, however this takes a few days, and youtubers lose out on most revenue as the most views happen in the first 24hours.
it would probably increase advertising money as well, as advertisers would have more control over what type of videos their adverts our played on.

this is far from an issue that anyone else would have.

indeed, i get why some advertisers wont want to be monetising some videos, but at the same time there's plenty who do.

take your bog standard iraqveteran 8888 video- totally understandable some companies dont want to support him, but at the same time there are companies that wouldnt care, or would even want to target his audience.

thing is, youtube's algorithm seems to have taken the "guns are bad mmkay" approach so non-political historical channels are getting lumped in with "top 5 guns for going to college"

Back
Top Bottom