• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD 7800XT Reference Card or.....4070

Soldato
Morning All,

I am thinking of upgrading ym RTX 3070 and after considering the 4070 I am eyeing up a return to team red. That's brought me to the 7800xt and there's a great price on the reference card.

Anything I need to be aware of going for an AMD reference card? Predaliction for coil whine or is there support going direct poor/good etc?

Or anyone feel I should stay team green?

Really appreciate any input

Soldato
OP
@Bill Turnip

I have a Dell G3223D which is a 32" 1440p monitor.

I play a mix of things from fortnight with my boy, BF22042 and whichever titles catch my eye so I want something versatile. Ideally so I have headroom for all the bells and whistles where it suits.

Last edited:
Associate
The nvidia card will be better for Ray tracing if you are interested in that, but I can't see a reason not to go with the 7800xt like you said. Haven't used one myself, my brother has a 6800xt and is a big fan of it - it works well for him.

There's possibly benefit with a nvidia card for dlss, but the amd cards have their own scaler which (whilst probably not being quite as good, but still absolutely fine) you may not particularly need at 1440p. You won't go wrong with either card.

Soldato
DLSS is my sticking point. IM well embedded and familiar with nvidia cards. Hmm I might see how the new supers affect pricing.

I would wait until the new releases are out as the RTX4070 and RX7800XT prices will be pushed downwards.

Fortnite is UE5 based and UE5 seems so far do a bit better overall on the RX7800XT compared to the RTX4070:

What CPU do you have? AMD cards seem also appear to lose less performance on slower CPUs than Nvidia ones:

Last edited:
Soldato
@welshdragon how long has it been since you had an AMD card?

I always had AMD cards historically, up until 6-7 years where I had a 1070 & 3070, I went back to AMD last summer, and if anything the Nvidia software etc all seems pretty outdated in comparison.

I love my new card (7900xt) and would not be in a hurry to go back to Nvidia.

Associate
I'd be inclined to choose the 4070 but I agree you should wait to see what happens to pricing with the Super release.

DLSS is too good IMO, and the gap is widening compared to FSR, not shrinking.

Last edited:
Associate
Do we think the AMD will react in any way to the super launches ? the 7800XT seems like the sensible choice to me right now pre super launch, be nice if that droppped a little.

Suspended
I would wait until the new releases are out as the RTX4070 and RX7800XT prices will be pushed downwards.

Fortnite is UE5 based and UE5 seems so far do a bit better overall on the RX7800XT compared to the RTX4070:

What CPU do you have? AMD cards seem also appear to lose less performance on slower CPUs than Nvidia ones:

He states here that you should consider that DLSS frame gen is avalable in 4 UE5 games while FSR frame gen only in 1..... and completely ignores FMF which is driver level and doesn't need the engine or game to support it at all.

This is why no matter what AMD do they cannot compete, tech jurnoes will always go with Nvidia better by ignoring AMD tech when its better, they have been doing crap like this for decades and it is the reason we are where we are.

Last edited:
Associate
With price and performance being so similar (with one better at raster Vs RT and vice versa) I'd suggest the better metric is the quality of card you can get for the price in terms of noise levels , cooler performance & looks if that matters to you.

Associate
Have a 3070 and considering the 4070 Super. Some of comments here about 12gb mem being bare min and the base price/perf v AMD have got me twitchy now.
I also have a 1440P setup but running older 3700X which I could also upgrade to the 5800X3D with mobo I have.
It's a dilemma....

Back
Top Bottom