• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD 7800XT Reference Card or.....4070

Caporegime
Yeah, can you match your quote to my edit please, i realised people who aren't fanatics also wear similar headdress :)
Not a problem :)

IEI.gif

Soldato
To those who own the reference 7800XT, in all honesty what's it like in terms of its cooler, i like the design, i know its warmer and louder than any AIB model, apart from Gigabyte maybe, my question is how loud and how warm? What's the Hotspot temps?

The reference 7800XT is £473.47

It says 92 degrees C on Techpowerup's review:

With higher average GPU temps as well.

Wonder if that's correct?

Even higher than I thought. Higher RPM on the fans as well.

My brother opted for the Hellhound, partly due to significantly lower hotspot temp.

I've seen the Merc 319s go for £500, I think they'd be a better buy...

Last edited:
Soldato

My brother opted for the Hellhound, partly due to significantly lower hotspot temp.

Wasn't there a bad batch of these or was that the 7900xt where in a certain orientation it would overheat?

Suspended

Yeah 92c... that's what worries me about them, 35db is not bad at all but the hotspot temps running right at the limit like that.... i don't like it.

Suspended
Do any of the variants with 2 fans have a reasonable hotspot temp?

Maybe these GPUs should've been 3 fan cards only.

According to TPU this one is 85c, 61c edge temp, that's a high delta... but that's at 26 db, now when you consider that a quiet whisper from 2m away is 30 db 26 is almost imperceptible, a quiet still room is 20 db. IMO the fan curve on it is set too low.

So there is some room to turn the fans up quite a bit and it still be quiet, my card is very quiet at 32 db, its a dammed good card especially for £510, it is apparently also well made, it has a plastic shroud but overall its build is quality. Its why i can't get over the fact that a similar quality 4070 Vanilla should cost £600, some of those at around £550 are just crap, in 2024 some of those shouldn't even be a thing, they are just bad.
There aren't any actually crap cards among the 7800XT or 7700XT range...

Last edited:
Associate
To those who own the reference 7800XT, in all honesty what's it like in terms of its cooler, i like the design, i know its warmer and louder than any AIB model, apart from Gigabyte maybe, my question is how loud and how warm? What's the Hotspot temps?

The reference 7800XT is £473.47
It’s a bit late. Sorry been away for a few weeks on work. Did you get a MBA 7800xt in the end? I can say max hotspot even when overclocked to 2900mhz core and 2600mhz vram and undervolted to 1040mv is around 81C tops. The fans are a tiny bit loud on load but honestly in my case I have 10 fans so I struggle to hear the card tbh. I really love the MBA looks and tried the Merc and didn’t like the looks or the fact the IO bracket wasn’t screwed into the cooling shroud so was supported only by the display ports so potentially a point of weakness.

Last edited:
Associate
i'm just a little worried about the Hotspot temps, i don't want that to be much over 80c, its the Hotspot temps that actually matter and once you're getting to 90c+ you're at the limit
Is clock scaling linked to the hotspot or average temp? I wouldn't let that trouble you IMO. My 6800 XT's had a hotspot in the low/mid 90's since I bought it 3 years ago yet it's never throttled as a result. When OCing without an undercoat it hit around 100°c and still didn't blink.

Caporegime
Is clock scaling linked to the hotspot or average temp? I wouldn't let that trouble you IMO. My 6800 XT's had a hotspot in the low/mid 90's since I bought it 3 years ago yet it's never throttled as a result. When OCing without an undercoat it hit around 100°c and still didn't blink.
Starts to throttle the clocks at 110c+ (hotspot).

Back
Top Bottom