• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD 7800XT Reference Card or.....4070

Have a 3070 and considering the 4070 Super. Some of comments here about 12gb mem being bare min and the base price/perf v AMD have got me twitchy now.
I also have a 1440P setup but running older 3700X which I could also upgrade to the 5800X3D with mobo I have.
It's a dilemma....
AMD has a lower windows bottleneck than NV regardless 37/58x3D.

12Gbs not enough on the 4070, just like most of the 30 series, it has the capacity to run higher textures but can't unless you turn on DLSS.

12Gb will not stop games from running, but going forward it will neuter the GPU in some games, more so with unreleased upcoming games.

My launch bought 4070 is still a great GPU, but has the same vram problem my 3070 and 3080 shared,

However Nv's got market leading R/PT'ing and DLSS3, but the vram-it is what it is and as you'll know DLSS helps massively in this regard if you use it for performance benefits.

There probably will be an AMD price shift as well.

Choice is there, if you upgrade every gen, the 4070 should still be a great purchase, if your keeping it, more vram or NV features.

Have a 3070 and considering the 4070 Super. Some of comments here about 12gb mem being bare min and the base price/perf v AMD have got me twitchy now.
I also have a 1440P setup but running older 3700X which I could also upgrade to the 5800X3D with mobo I have.
It's a dilemma....
I think im going to wait for the super to appear and see where the land lies. The 7800xt is a good price but maybe there will be some shift. If the standard 4070 dropped in price its still a tough call for me.

~£470 for the RX 7800 XT reference model is a good price, I doubt you would regret it.

If you can get a triple fan card for £500, could be worth it, as the hotspot temps should be lower. It's a shame the reference model doesn't have 3 fans.

If you have a 1080p /1440p monitor, upscaling isn't very important, generally I think below 1440p native quality isn't worth it. If you need to improve performance, just lower the resolution.

The RTX 4070 is a slower GPU with less VRAM...

Last edited:
@g67575 If I go that route would prefer a triple fan. Got the space in my case . I feel at the moment the 7800xt is the right way but just holding to see what the prices do over the next few weeks. This is a rare display of self restraint for me :cry:

Last edited:
My 2 Fan 7800XT pulse version is usually running at 62C

Trouble is with holding back on buying and waiting for price drops - the resale value for whatever you are replacing the card with will drop as well...

Just hold, i can only see more price drops from AMD with each Super launch. It's only gonna get better for the rest of this year.

The reference 7900XT went UP £9 today on their store. Which is somewhat mental when you can get a nitro for £799 which has a far better cooler.

The reference 7900XT went UP £9 today on their store. Which is somewhat mental when you can get a nitro for £799 which has a far better cooler.

When you look at their store page, it's like they've given up on pricing. Maybe they're just expecting AIB Models to be the cheaper models and the MBA versions in their eyes are the premium versions.

Back
Top Bottom