• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD 7nm GPU News and Rumours 2018/2019

Soldato
thats IF its the same price, like i said i wouldnt be surprised if it hits near £250 so they dont cannibalise their existing cards.

This is assuming the name is legit and the only product coming. If AMD have taken time to respin Polaris onto 12nm, why only release 1 product? Replace the 14nm products completely.

But then there is talk about Polaris 30 being for OEMs.

Soldato
This is assuming the name is legit and the only product coming. If AMD have taken time to respin Polaris onto 12nm, why only release 1 product? Replace the 14nm products completely.

But then there is talk about Polaris 30 being for OEMs.
I would assume Navi on 7nm will replace Polaris next year but it might not be until Q3 or something, and it looks bad for AMD to not have a product launch in that timespan. At the same time, they might have a lot invested in Navi and so don't want to divert too many resources away for a stop-gap launch. We already know Vega suffered a similar fate.

Soldato
I was always under the impression that Navi was replacing Vega, but talk of "Navi 10" and "Navi 20" makes things murky for me. That being said, I've suggested here and elsewhere that if AMD stick with HBM solely for Navi, they couldn't chop it down enough to be a Polaris-level product and still make any more. So Polaris 30 respin replaces that entire product stack, Navi 10 comes in 2 flavours and directly replaces the 2 RX Vegas, and Navi 20 is the Instinct successor.

I'd love for RX Navi to use GDDR6 though and save the HBM implementation for the big compute cards.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
Well 2 retailers have dropped the 570 8gb price to £160 now so that may indicate something big will drop in the £250 price range

if its the rx590 and it is only 10% faster then its £50 too much, amd need to upset the apple cart rather than just nudge it a little.

Soldato
amd need to upset the apple cart rather than just nudge it a little

And pray tell how do you propose they "upset the apple cart"? You've seen their roadmaps, you've seen how long they've been in trouble, you've seen how long it's taken for Zen to properly take hold. Suddenly AMD are capable of causing immediate mayhem in the GPU space?

Associate
if its the rx590 and it is only 10% faster then its £50 too much, amd need to upset the apple cart rather than just nudge it a little.

Well most of the 570/580/1060 range are in the £200s anyway and people pay extra for a smallish performance boost. If a 590 is clearly better than 580 and 1060 people who have that budget and want the fastest in that price range will go for it. Otherwise why buy a 580 over a 570? It's only 10% difference too.

Soldato
Well most of the 570/580/1060 range are in the £200s anyway and people pay extra for a smallish performance boost. If a 590 is clearly better than 580 and 1060 people who have that budget and want the fastest in that price range will go for it. Otherwise why buy a 580 over a 570? It's only 10% difference too.

It will be a 4870 vs 4890 or 8800gtx vs 8800ultra situation again

Soldato
And pray tell how do you propose they "upset the apple cart"? You've seen their roadmaps, you've seen how long they've been in trouble, you've seen how long it's taken for Zen to properly take hold. Suddenly AMD are capable of causing immediate mayhem in the GPU space?

Indeed. Some believe that if AMD pushed a 2080ti perf GPU at 1/3 the price, they could buy their Nvidia product cheaper.....
Yet we see how that has turned in the CPU market both mainstream and especially HEDT. Where one company completely ignores the competition on HEDT, at same time boasting of best perf when selling 10% more perf at 110% the price on mainstream.....

Soldato
At least they are slashing the pricing of older cards before launching new (refresh) cards, unlike Nvidia pretty much stack new cards on top of old cards' pricing...

The thing is with the free games, the RX570/RX580 are the best performing and best value card for anyone looking at upgrading from GTX670/GTX680/HD7950/HD7970 level or building a entry/mid-range gaming PC. The RX590 would be the fastest for anyone that would spend up to around under £300 absolute max, considering that Nvidia is no going to slash the GTX1070 price down to £300 nor do they comes with games.

OcUK Staff
Well 2 retailers have dropped the 570 8gb price to £160 now so that may indicate something big will drop in the £250 price range

No they are all stuck with tonnes of stock from the mining period and are trying to get rid of something now nobody wants.

Thankfully we have very little RX 570 left so we don't need to panic quite so hard about clearing aged stock.

Associate
At least they are slashing the pricing of older cards before launching new (refresh) cards, unlike Nvidia pretty much stack new cards on top of old cards' pricing...

The thing is with the free games, the RX570/RX580 are the best performing and best value card for anyone looking at upgrading from GTX670/GTX680/HD7950/HD7970 level or building a entry/mid-range gaming PC. The RX590 would be the fastest for anyone that would spend up to around under £300 absolute max, considering that Nvidia is no going to slash the GTX1070 price down to £300 nor do they comes with games.

I suppose the question is what happens with the 2060. Is it a tweeked 1060 or a rebranded 1070?

No they are all stuck with tonnes of stock from the mining period and are trying to get rid of something now nobody wants.

Thankfully we have very little RX 570 left so we don't need to panic quite so hard about clearing aged stock.

I suppose the question is how low will they go? One site that is selling it for £160 has seemingly bought up a shedload of 570 8gb stock in the last 2 weeks (there stock shows when it's in your shopping basket). Wonder what their margin is at £160 and if it'll go any lower now

Soldato
I suppose the question is what happens with the 2060. Is it a tweeked 1060 or a rebranded 1070?
I suppose IF Nvidia is bother to compete in that price segment, I'd imagine to compete against the RX590, all they have to do is launch another Parcal card based on the 1060, but with the 192-bit increased to 256-bit bus with vram increased from 6GB to 8GB, with the steam processor counts also increased but still less than the 1070, so essentially a "1060ti" that's called 2060.

I mean it's entirely plausible only the 2070 and higher that are branded as "RTX" would be based on the Turing architecture, whereas the 2060 and below MAY BE branded as "GTX" and being just rebranded Pascal like how the GTS250 was rebranded 9800GTX+ (considering the Turing cost more to make with its bigger die space for the dedicated units for supporting Ray-tracing etc). Keep in mind that Nvidia did market the "RTX" cards as "from $499", which is the 2070 (though reality it is more like $599).

If Nvidia really going to rebrand the Pascal, it is not necessarily a bad thing, as it would mean people could potentially get a GTX1000 series card on the cheap or people already own GTX1000 series would still enjoy longer driver optimisation for new games than they traditionally would.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff

I suppose the question is how low will they go? One site that is selling it for £160 has seemingly bought up a shedload of 570 8gb stock in the last 2 weeks (there stock shows when it's in your shopping basket). Wonder what their margin is at £160 and if it'll go any lower now

Could simply be a board partner sold them off cheap, we see a lot of 570 deals floating, but we simply don't have the demand for such a SKU to buy large volume, no matter how cheap it gets or if we do, we simply move the stock to one of our group partners who has demand for that.

GAC

GAC

Soldato

like i said IF its £250 its too much, yeah they have the games bundle with them which is good for now but if they get this out the door for £200 rrp they could take a healthy chunk out of nvidias gtx1060s and even some 1070 sales i bet with it being such a saving.

yeah i know navi is coming but as we know nothing about that until january who knows how that will perform or what sort of beast it could be.

il say it again though they need to smash it out of the park while nvidia seems to be fumbling about with the rtx range and comedy price points, and no im not expecting them to do a 1080ti equivalent card for pennies, just a bit more competition in the mid level on price. weather they can do this and remain profitable though is another question.

Back
Top Bottom