• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD 7nm GPU News and Rumours 2018/2019

Soldato
so can we expect a RX 590 heavily OC to match GTX 1070?

if AMD can bring these in at £230-£240 price point, i can see them selling large number of cards.

Soldato
But the point was that even the TWICE higher performance RTX 2070 doesn't cost 500 in its cheapest flavours.
If the 590 occupies the 199.99 of the current cheapest 580, then fine, if more not fine and 0 sales.
Well £480 then but 590 is not in the same league as a 2070. If they are priced where a premium level 1060 is they will sell imo. They will sell buy the truck load if they are £200 but I doubt it.

Associate
On AMD's homepage, they have all the new stuff from the event earlier this week and I noticed something that struck me as odd.

It says, The World's First "Vega 7nm" GPU...

I wouldn't have expected it to say Vega 7nm, just 7nm GPU.

Does this suggest there are more Vega 7nm GPUs to come?

Soldato
On AMD's homepage, they have all the new stuff from the event earlier this week and I noticed something that struck me as odd.

That is the instinct lineup designed for datacenters primarily.

bru

bru

Soldato

Seeing as AMD have bothered to shrink Vega down to 7nm I would be astounded if they don't bring us a 7nm Vega 64 variant.

Soldato
so can we expect a RX 590 heavily OC to match GTX 1070?

if AMD can bring these in at £230-£240 price point, i can see them selling large number of cards.
Overclocking doesn't always guarantee performance increases and any increase is certainty not going to be linear. Most of the bottleneck found on Radeon cards is in geometry and vertices processing which are handled by fixed function hardware no amount of overclocking will fix that, what will do is reduce the performance hit when turning up settings and resolution.

Soldato
Seeing as AMD have bothered to shrink Vega down to 7nm I would be astounded if they don't bring us a 7nm Vega 64 variant.

The Vega 20 is very expensive to make. Personally I wouldn't buy a £1000 card tbh.
Navi is out next year, anyone with a Vega 64 wouldn't be looking to upgrade until then.

Soldato
OP
The 7nm Vega shrink is very specifically an enterprise card. It is vastly different to a vega64.

I would love to think there's going to be a vega 64 refresh with 30% higher clocks, but I seriously doubt it at this stage.

bru

bru

Soldato
If you all think that AMD are going to go through all the trouble of shrinking Vega down to 7nm and then not use it for a gaming card, well I dunno. I must have missed AMD suddenly having so much cash they don't need to use each chip for everything they can.

Caporegime
If you all think that AMD are going to go through all the trouble of shrinking Vega down to 7nm and then not use it for a gaming card, well I dunno. I must have missed AMD suddenly having so much cash they don't need to use each chip for everything they can.
Needing cash is a good reason to sell every Vega they can make into the Pro market... where there is probably plenty of demand to gobble up every single one they make.

Selling them as gamer cards probably only results in less income, not more. We all have read by now that these things have a stupidly high cost to manufacture (BOM), and probably aren't even capable of making a profit in the consumer space.

Soldato
Last edited:
Caporegime
LOL, they can't even decide if it's the last GCN or the first non-GCN. WCCF reporting earlier this year it was 6th gen GCN.

Also flip-flopping between 1H'19 and 2H'19 (most likely 2H otherwise why bother with the 590).

Soldato
So, essentially a £250ish Vega 56 with lower power draw? Not bad at all, though not ground-breaking either. It's good if it were to arrive in 1H but I don't see it, and if it's 2H it's just not as interesting. I said it before but I think a lot of people will kick themselves over not having gotten the Red Dragon V56 when it had the bundle (-> £300 V56 basically).

Back
Top Bottom