• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD 7nm GPU News and Rumours 2018/2019

GAC

GAC

Soldato
dont want to pour water on all of this 7nm excitement but il say it again, amd need to ship something on par with a 1080ti and cheaper to show they have moved forward. and if all we are going to get is 7nm refresh of the rx series which again is a refresh of the previous gen yeah we'l get a bump but its yet more middle and low end cards. maybe a 7nm vega will be better but again just a refresh and nothing actually new. if they announce the refresh and then a new gpu coming soon they will only cannibalise possible sales of one or the other. but what they need to do if they cant beat nvidias 1080ti/2080 is to beat them on price and by a good chunk.

Permabanned
dont want to pour water on all of this 7nm excitement but il say it again, amd need to ship something on par with a 1080ti and cheaper to show they have moved forward. and if all we are going to get is 7nm refresh of the rx series which again is a refresh of the previous gen yeah we'l get a bump but its yet more middle and low end cards. maybe a 7nm vega will be better but again just a refresh and nothing actually new. if they announce the refresh and then a new gpu coming soon they will only cannibalise possible sales of one or the other. but what they need to do if they cant beat nvidias 1080ti/2080 is to beat them on price and by a good chunk.

When lagging behind its competition, be it Intel or nVidia, AMD, historically, has set its own disruptive levels of prices. At least for this, we can be 100% sure.

The Ryzen 7nm CPUs will be released and that will be the gaming reference.

Ryzen has nothing to do with gaming. Gaming is just one of the dozens of applications, processors can have.

Soldato
Vega Nano was going to be the exact same Vega chip thoguh, just hand picked like with Fury Nano and a some downclock/voltage.

We do know that navi is not a new architecture, that git postponed when Raja left so everything has been renamed,

Vega Nano was an undervolted Vega56 not Vega 64
Fury Nano, was the full FuryX chip which was power limited to overclock to 1100 :p FuryX could do 1190....

Don
if all we are going to get is 7nm refresh of the rx series which again is a refresh of the previous gen yeah we'l get a bump but its yet more middle and low end cards.

Any refresh of RX5xx cards will surely be 12nm refresh - don't think it's been mentioned at 7nm, and I would suggest they are possibly already in production for a January launch at the same time as the announcement.

7nm announcement in January will either be a gaming version of the 7nm refresh (of which Vega Instinct professional cards have already been announced), or 7nm Navi. Regardless of it potentially being announced in January, any 7nm parts are unlikely to be available in quantities so the release date could be much later (hence the 12nm RX5xx refresh parts to fill in the gap?)

Last edited:

GAC

GAC

Soldato
i just get the feeling its going to be a shuffle like so many in the past with no real raising of amd's performance bar or cheaper cards which is a shame really and means another 12 months or nvidia doing whatever they want.

Soldato
Regardless of it potentially being announced in January, any 7nm parts are unlikely to be available in quantities so the release date could be much later (hence the 12nm RX5xx refresh parts to fill in the gap?)

My Google Fu is weak today so I more than likely have this wrong, but have AMD said recently they were going to commit to a 6-monthly release cycle for GPU products for the foreseeable future? If that's the case, plays out well for the next couple of years.

H1 '19: RX600 with 12nm Polaris 30 (replaces RX500)
H2 '19: RX Navi with 7nm Navi 10 (replaces RX Vega)
H1 '20: Navi Instinct on Navi 20? 7nm or 7nm+? Maybe Arcturus Instinct with Navi 20 released the previous quarter?
H2 '20: RX Arcturus (replaces RX Navi)
H1 '21: Arcturus refresh on 7nm+?

Doesn't seem too far fetched given the roadmaps we've seen. But after that we'll see what happens.

Caporegime
Vega Nano was an undervolted Vega56 not Vega 64
Fury Nano, was the full FuryX chip which was power limited to overclock to 1100 :p FuryX could do 1190....

No, The Vega Nano was supposed to be an under clocked Vega 64. AMD never released it though, and without explanation.

Caporegime
Ryzen has nothing to do with gaming. Gaming is just one of the dozens of applications, processors can have.

No **** Sherlock.:rolleyes:
The gaming reference in AMD's keynote speech will be in regards to Ryzen for gaming. GPU wise I doubt they will mention anything much for gaming. The7nm Vega GPU will be for HPC, the 12nm Polaris refesh should appear well before CES.

Soldato
You're thinking of the Powercolor Vega 56 Nano, it's a completely different card it's just similar looking. The Vega Nano was intended to be V64 performance at lower power/heat following a refresh.

Show me links to any where that says this. The first mention of a Vega Nano from AMD was the Vega 64 Nano and it was using the same chip as the Vega 64. They even had specs listed on the Videocardz site.

there were lots of rumours of a Vega refresh but, they were just rumours as it turns out the 7nm Vega refresh is for professional cards only and the consumer cards are going to be Navi.

Associate
Any refresh of RX5xx cards will surely be 12nm refresh - don't think it's been mentioned at 7nm, and I would suggest they are possibly already in production for a January launch at the same time as the announcement.

7nm announcement in January will either be a gaming version of the 7nm refresh (of which Vega Instinct professional cards have already been announced), or 7nm Navi. Regardless of it potentially being announced in January, any 7nm parts are unlikely to be available in quantities so the release date could be much later (hence the 12nm RX5xx refresh parts to fill in the gap?)

AMD themself have stated that Navi will release after Epyc and Ryzen3 for desktop have launched. So definitely no early 2019 release, as these also need some time. Best case is an architecture announcement as with Polaris and Vega and a release after Computex.

Permabanned

Well, the 12nm RX580 refresh should be in a different performance segment. Navi should be considerably faster.
This makes sense if they use the old 12nm process for mass quantities, and the 7nm process for the top-of-the-line parts.

The gaming reference in AMD's keynote speech will be in regards to Ryzen for gaming.

I doubt they will do that, mistake to mention any gaming unless it is a specific GPU for gaming.

Soldato
Annual AMD GPU releases according to a 24 Mon YouTube video on the subject.

I feel they are going to apply multichip solutions on one GPU PCB. I know GPU s are already massively parallel but feel AMD are taking a different approach somehow...

Soldato
My Google Fu is weak today so I more than likely have this wrong, but have AMD said recently they were going to commit to a 6-monthly release cycle for GPU products for the foreseeable future? If that's the case, plays out well for the next couple of years.

H1 '19: RX600 with 12nm Polaris 30 (replaces RX500)
H2 '19: RX Navi with 7nm Navi 10 (replaces RX Vega)
H1 '20: Navi Instinct on Navi 20? 7nm or 7nm+? Maybe Arcturus Instinct with Navi 20 released the previous quarter?
H2 '20: RX Arcturus (replaces RX Navi)
H1 '21: Arcturus refresh on 7nm+?

Doesn't seem too far fetched given the roadmaps we've seen. But after that we'll see what happens.

Afaik the replacement for RX480 will be a Navi card equal in performance to a GTX 1080 (for $300ish), and coming out towards the latter part of 2019. No other gaming GPUs launch besides that (except maybe some lower end ones) in 2019. The Polaris 30 rumours were for this October, so this year at least (if they are true and not just some OEM rebranding misunderstanding). Actual Vega replacement, i.e. fighting with something above the XX60 from Nvidia line, is not coming until 2020 supposedly, probably near the new consoles releases.

Caporegime
i just get the feeling its going to be a shuffle like so many in the past with no real raising of amd's performance bar or cheaper cards which is a shame really and means another 12 months or nvidia doing whatever they want.
If AMD don't move perf/£ forwards with their next gen of GPUs, then that doesn't bode well for the next-gen consoles either. You could then perhaps expect next-gen consoles to be about $200 more expensive, just to get a perf boost worth upgrading for.

If AMD can't or won't move perf/£ forwards, then something is seriously wrong, and it won't just be PG gamers that get shafted.

Permabanned
Afaik the replacement for RX480 will be a Navi card equal in performance to a GTX 1080 (for $300ish), and coming out towards the latter part of 2019. No other gaming GPUs launch besides that (except maybe some lower end ones) in 2019. The Polaris 30 rumours were for this October, so this year at least (if they are true and not just some OEM rebranding misunderstanding). Actual Vega replacement, i.e. fighting with something above the XX60 from Nvidia line, is not coming until 2020 supposedly, probably near the new consoles releases.

This doesn't make any sense because in 2020, they will be two or three generations behind nVidia, plus a new threat from emerging Intel.

Annual AMD GPU releases according to a 24 Mon YouTube video on the subject.

I feel they are going to apply multichip solutions on one GPU PCB. I know GPU s are already massively parallel but feel AMD are taking a different approach somehow...

Link?

GAC

GAC

Soldato
If AMD don't move perf/£ forwards with their next gen of GPUs, then that doesn't bode well for the next-gen consoles either. You could then perhaps expect next-gen consoles to be about $200 more expensive, just to get a perf boost worth upgrading for.

If AMD can't or won't move perf/£ forwards, then something is seriously wrong, and it won't just be PG gamers that get shafted.

the thing is they will move it forward with the 7nm stuff, but if they are just rehashing the polaris and vega stuff its not a new gen much like intels recooking year after year amd maybe doing the same thing which they have already done ones with the polaris going from 400 to 500, yeah the die shrink will lead to performance increases and lower power heat, as for price could be the same as we get now which does mean they move the perf/£ along and make some gains but what happens next, as i have already said theres plenty of low and mid tier cards out there amd need to drop something more higher performance to make a move and give nvidia a kick in the backside.

i think with the head guy leaving radeon tech group (be it pushed or quit) will have upset their development run guess we find out come jan what they will be releasing but i still fear its going to be another 12 months before we see anything worth getting excited about from amd, as for when we will be able to buy it, end of 2019 i guess. im not saying they wont have new stuff just they wont have anything thats going to get nvidia worried or force them to massively adjust the rather idiotic pricing which is now in full swing.

Soldato
This doesn't make any sense because in 2020, they will be two or three generations behind nVidia, plus a new threat from emerging Intel.

They can only do what they can do, whether they are 1 or 10 gens behind Nvidia doesn't change that. Developing and getting out a new architecture will always take years and there's not much they can do in the meantime to speed it up, and it's a story AMD went through before with their CPU line as well. As for Intel being a threat, maybe in 2030 if they're successful at all.

I wouldn't say it's not possible that they release Vega replacements first in 2H 2019 but we've had not even a rumour of that being the case. I think all of us would welcome that, but at the same time I'm not getting my hopes up.

Soldato
I wouldn't say it's not possible that the release Vega replacements first in 2H 2019 but we've had not even a rumour of that being the case

Quoi? Navi is the Vega replacement, always has been. Just because the rumour mill has said that Navi is pitched at the midrange doesn't automatically mean it's replacing Polaris.

RX Vega can be "pitched" as a flagship card all AMD want, but it only has upper midrange performance, being as it trades blows with the 1070 and 1080. RX Navi coming out with better-than-1080 performance (but probably not quite 1080 Ti) still makes it midrange given the existence of the RTX, but that doesn't replace the Polaris territory segment.

That's why the 12nm Polaris 30 rumour made sense in the bigger picture. Now yes I was a bit wild with my pipe dream post earlier in this thread, but market segmentation is such that AMD couldn't get a Polaris product into the upper midrange bracket, and couldn't strip down a Navi 10 enough to be a mid to lower tier product.

So we get a new 12nm Polaris 30 to refresh the RX500 line and 7nm Navi 10 replace the RX Vega line.

Of course, factor in "Big" Navi 20 and all of the above goes out the window; Navi 10 is the little one to replace Polaris, Navi 20 replaces Vega. Would this mean Arcturus gaming cards wait until 2021? "Next Gen" was 2020 on the roadmap, but that's going to be a pro card first surely.

Back
Top Bottom