• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD 7nm GPU News and Rumours 2018/2019

Soldato

My fault I wasn't clear enough, when I say "Vega replacements" I mean cards that will take the Vega 56 & Vega 64 spots in the AMD GPU hierarchy. Right now Vega 64 is the highest end AMD GPU (for gaming), and V56 is just a step below it, with RX580 being their mid-range offering. In the wider context, i.e. accounting for Nvidia as well, you might say RX580 is low-end rather than mid-range perhaps but that's going into a too semanatics-heavy discussion.

To simplify, will we see an AMD gpu with performance on the level of a 1080ti, if not 2080ti, in 2019? For me the answer is no based on everything heard so far (which is of dubious veracity, I have to admit). And if the Polaris refresh were the actual replacement for mid-range then it would also be a very strange launch because that would mean the GTX 2060 will be strictly superior (since it's supposed to be near a 1070 in performance), and that's one segment where AMD can actually put up a fight at - so now they'd give up even there, effectively losing out at every single GPU segment.

Again, we don't know for certain if they will lead with mid-range or high-end, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Soldato
Simplification of my own then:

Navi 10 will improve on Vega 10; power draw will be a good chunk lower from the node shrink and AMD can afford to properly bin their chips this time. Navi 10 will also see a performance boost to consistently beat the 1080, but probably not the 1080 Ti. If AMD have the money to implement Navi on 2 different memory controllers, Navi 10 will be built with GDDR6, bringing costs down a good whack.

End result is a solid upper midrange card that will be a chunk cheaper than the GTX 10 series equivalents and perform better (could "Navi 64" be a better proposition than the RTX 2070?).
Navi probably can't be stripped down enough to be profitable at the existing RX500 market segment, so if Polaris 30 is true then that's where we'll see it.

Both of these things should give AMD a good chance to soak up some market share in the mainstream segments.

If "Big" Navi 20 happens, it'll probably be a HBM pro card, I don't see much point in releasing an expensive HBM gaming card that probably still won't beat the 1080 Ti sufficiently to justify the price.

The only thing I am sure about is Navi 10 is happening (because it's on the roadmap) and the gaming cards based on it will be GDDR6; after RX Vega there is no way AMD could justify repeating the same mistake with an overpriced HBM gaming card.

Associate
giphy.gif

Soldato
That's pretty expected, it was obvious there weren't going to be any major changes to it. I'm curious what the clocks end up at, and if it will OC higher than the 580s. 2250 memory, that's expected but doable on 580s. 1500 core clock as average luck? Maybe it can be pushed to 1550? That would be something. They certainly would need that if the 5-10% perf. increase it do be believed. Hopefully it will also still be CF compatible with the older cards.

It's really not a bad stop gap until Navi at all.

Soldato
AMD Polaris 30 Based Radeon RX 570 Successor With 2048 Cores Launching in Mid-October, RX 580 Successor Launches in November

https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-polaris-30-gpu-october-launch/
Hmm, that's not what the source article says. Use your trusty translator. This is the source:
http://diy.pconline.com.cn/1179/11799687.html

They guess that the 570, 2048sp, might be 12nm. They say it will be released on October 12~15 which is either this Friday or Monday of next week.

They have no info on 580 at all right now.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
oh dear. i really hope this isnt it from amd or its going to be another couple of years before we hear anything new and nvidia can carry on laughing all the way to the bank with their pricing.

Soldato
OP
So this is Polaris++... Didn't AMD finish Intel's book on how to do it? First establish market dominance, THEN implement incremental gains.

The annoying thing is that for 1080p gaming the 680 is actually likely to be a really great card, I just wanted them to do better.

Don
oh dear. i really hope this isnt it from amd or its going to be another couple of years before we hear anything new and nvidia can carry on laughing all the way to the bank with their pricing.

Its a stop gap until they have something more worthwhile. 7nm Vega or Navi parts aren't coming until next year and never were, but OEMs and indeed end users expect something at least - rx670/680 or whatever they end up being called are a quick easy win to have something to ship

GAC

GAC

Soldato
Its a stop gap until they have something more worthwhile. 7nm Vega or Navi parts aren't coming until next year and never were, but OEMs and indeed end users expect something at least - rx670/680 or whatever they end up being called are a quick easy win to have something to ship

yeah its a stop gap and obviously its not going to be a big leap but it smells of a quick cash grab for christmas money with the minimal bump they could get out of the door in as quick of a time as possible. at best what we looking at the 570's replacement matching a 580 ? if so it better be a sub £200 card and as for the 580's im guessing it will still be behind a gtx 1070, in performance and price but this is the better of the two cards in my mind, if this is a sub £250 card could be a great 1080p card. but as has been pointed out this is just another upgraded to the 400-500-600 ? so nothing new just tweaks. hopefully come jan amd surprise us but im getting that feeling next years going to be a bit of a dud from amd when it comes to gaming gpu's.

Soldato
So this is Polaris++... Didn't AMD finish Intel's book on how to do it? First establish market dominance, THEN implement incremental gains.

The annoying thing is that for 1080p gaming the 680 is actually likely to be a really great card, I just wanted them to do better.

Not just 1080p, 1440p too. Hell, I use an RX480 at 1800p even. Not everyone needs max settings 144fps. So the difference between mine and the RX680 could end up at like 20%. That's significant.

Permabanned

If it is a stop-gap, why so late? Why hadn't it been launched together with the new 12nm Ryzen back in April?

OH goody another card similar to the 290(x) performance but will likely be sold for £350+, what a bargain! :rolleyes:

You are right. The only option for AMD is to relegate that performance already to RX 660 levels and 150ish pounds.

Soldato
People like me on a 4GB RX 480 might just do a little upgrade to an 8GB RX 680, if the price is right.
The price will be similar to the ones today. £200-250 bracket.

Also it wouldn't surprise me it it was very close to the GTX1070 performance either.
Already in some games the 1070 is just 10%-15% faster than the 580, if that, at 1440p and 1080p.

Permabanned
Tbh I wound't mind a limited number of Vega 20, sold by AMD like a Titan for example.

It doesn't have the gaming performance, whatsoever. That's why they wouldn't even try to sell it as a consumer product.

Fab availability? Change of plan? Customer demand? Waiting to see what Nvidia did at the low end? Who knows?

I dont expect to see any 7nm till at least Q2 next year, so makes sense to release something at least?

I don't know. RTG shows very pronounced signs of extremely struggling entity, like not knowing what exactly to do, and what plans they actually have. Something similar to 3dFX, if I can recall it correctly. We all know what happened to 3dFX.

Back
Top Bottom