• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD 7nm GPU News and Rumours 2018/2019

Soldato
AMD chief Lisa Su confirms new high-end GPU; “we will be competitive in high-end graphics”
AMD-Ruby-feature2-672x372.jpg

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/amd-...-we-will-be-competitive-in-high-end-graphics/

Don't want to burst any ones bubble but check the sources. First off it is regarding Navi and not Vega 20 in that article but when i check the source it goes on about a trade war with US and china...

https://www.barrons.com/articles/amd-ceo-lisa-su-interview-1540478258

Soldato
OP
Holy Context Batman. Good spot, Competetive in high end depends entirely on definition and says nothing about beating Nvidia just competetive with.
The 590 is looking good though.

Soldato
Intel already feels it and the nail goes into their coffin next year.
its not like amd is out of it,
amd 590 king with 1080p.
vega king with 1440p
the rest 4k and so on is like less than 10% of a user base that will overpay for stuff anyhow.
The majority of users isn't buying 1500 euro cards.

amd will ryzen again with gpus to :)

There is a big reddit discussion about Vega crossfire. Even today 80% of the games will work with CF out of the box, and a 10% need to create a profile.
However the biggest baffling result is the better scaling of Vega CF at 4K than lesser resolution.

Ahh and there are some games, like Wolfestein 2, that if you activate CF, works on 1 GPU. If you turn off CF, it scales to 101%! (103% scaling happens on RE7).

Soldato
There is a big reddit discussion about Vega crossfire. Even today 80% of the games will work with CF out of the box, and a 10% need to create a profile.
However the biggest baffling result is the better scaling of Vega CF at 4K than lesser resolution.

Ahh and there are some games, like Wolfestein 2, that if you activate CF, works on 1 GPU. If you turn off CF, it scales to 101%! (103% scaling happens on RE7).
It might have something to with the chips design, at higher resolutions the demand falls on extra shading performance which GCN is good at because of all those shader cores, the demand for geometry and vertices doesn't really change going from 1080p to 4k.

Permabanned
Holy Context Batman. Good spot, Competetive in high end depends entirely on definition and says nothing about beating Nvidia just competetive with.
The 590 is looking good though.

Yes, it is looking better than expected.

It might have something to with the chips design, at higher resolutions the demand falls on extra shading performance which GCN is good at because of all those shader cores, the demand for geometry and vertices doesn't really change going from 1080p to 4k.

We need more performance at 4K. Better to have 2x 30 FPS at 2160p than to have 2x 150 FPS at 1080p.

Permabanned
That's the line that throws a spanner in the works, because any 7nm Polaris replacement GPU with about 35% improvement in performance, is going to be knocking on Vega's 56 door anyway.

Navi should get very close to Vega, I think it'll be how it was when Polaris released & those of us with Fiji had nothing new to upgrade to, This time we may see a 7nm Vega appear to tide us over, I can't see it being much of a jump over the current Vega 64 though so probably not a valid upgrade for those that already have Vega cards.

It honestly gets boring seeing this same trend every year. Sites hype things up to stupid levels, people jump on the bandwagon then when it finally arrives its a disappointment because "AMD said" it would be this or that. When in reality AMD didn't say anything and people just believed the bs websites were pumping out which along the way somehow got engraved in stone as 100% factual info.

That's not entirely true, AMD do things like place the Poor Volta image in a video, That's what sets the hype train off, What I find sad is how sites that post fake info eventually become valid sources due to things like we saw with Koduri & WCCFTech, They were posting fake info again and again but because it was rubbish like Polaris is going to being a 980ti competitor when it releases Koduri starts giving them respectability by plugging their name while on stage at events with the intent of letting them fuel the hype train with their lies.

Associate
Navi should get very close to Vega, I think it'll be how it was when Polaris released & those of us with Fiji had nothing new to upgrade to, This time we may see a 7nm Vega appear to tide us over, I can't see it being much of a jump over the current Vega 64 though so probably not a valid upgrade for those that already have Vega cards.

That's not entirely true, AMD do things like place the Poor Volta image in a video, That's what sets the hype train off, What I find sad is how sites that post fake info eventually become valid sources due to things like we saw with Koduri & WCCFTech, They were posting fake info again and again but because it was rubbish like Polaris is going to being a 980ti competitor when it releases Koduri starts giving them respectability by plugging their name while on stage at events with the intent of letting them fuel the hype train with their lies.

The thing is, where is Volta in gaming GPUs? Nowhere, that's where. I maintain that Volta didn't live up to expectations in that Nvidia couldn't cut it down into a gaming GPU and hence they had to come up with a Plan B, which is where Turing came into being.

On the AMD front, I can see Navi replacing the entire stack as it currently exists, up to and including the Vega 64, and competing with Nvidia cards up to 1080ti (2080) level.

Caporegime
PC gaming need cards like this to become entry level.
The truth is these days PC gaming only jumps forwards when console hardware jumps.

Until the next console gen devs aren't going to bust a gut to improve PC image quality or anything else.

This is esp true because we've had the same mid-range PC perf for about 4+ years now. And also because Navi is now PS5 first, PC second.

Caporegime

The problem with the poor volta thing is people made waaaaaay too much of it (as usual). For all we know it was an internal jab at nvidia for something AMD knew, and nvidia knew but the consumer didn't. Volta at one point seemed to be the next geforce product then turing suddenly appeared, much like pascal did. Pascal appeared on the roadmap out of the blue which suggests it was more of a stopgap product (after all that was around the time of the 28nm stall for several years so maybe volta wasn't possible on it?). Its possible that something went on with volta that we weren't privvy to and that was the source of the dig. It certainly wasn't implying that polaris was any kind of competitor, that was a product that didn't turn out as well as expected.

Soldato

Yup, I don't even pay attention to people who talk about mGPU configs if they don't at least boot up the game at 5K.

Permabanned
The problem with the poor volta thing is people made waaaaaay too much of it (as usual). For all we know it was an internal jab at nvidia for something AMD knew, and nvidia knew but the consumer didn't. Volta at one point seemed to be the next geforce product then turing suddenly appeared, much like pascal did. Pascal appeared on the roadmap out of the blue which suggests it was more of a stopgap product (after all that was around the time of the 28nm stall for several years so maybe volta wasn't possible on it?). Its possible that something went on with volta that we weren't privvy to and that was the source of the dig. It certainly wasn't implying that polaris was any kind of competitor, that was a product that didn't turn out as well as expected.

That's just making up an excuse for AMD which is something a lot of people think we all do anyway, I can't see it, I'd bet that it was nothing to do with AMD taking an internal jab at Nvidia, It was done in a highly anticipated promotional gaming video where everyone was waiting for some sort of news about the upcoming high-end Vega based gpu's As for Volta not appearing on the mainstream market I think it's more likely it didn't happen because it didn't have too happen, We've had Pascal for 28 months & it's remained unchallenged as the top gpu range, Volta's only issue was not being needed, We got one Volta card and that's a cut down Titan V, & it's faster than Turing is for non rtx gaming, It's more likely Nvidia jumped over Volta due to their dominant position, 28 months between architectures is a long time & I think Nvidia used the current situation to work on finally bringing the RTX tech to the table.

Permabanned
The thing is, where is Volta in gaming GPUs? Nowhere, that's where. I maintain that Volta didn't live up to expectations in that Nvidia couldn't cut it down into a gaming GPU and hence they had to come up with a Plan B, which is where Turing came into being.

On the AMD front, I can see Navi replacing the entire stack as it currently exists, up to and including the Vega 64, and competing with Nvidia cards up to 1080ti (2080) level.

I think the Titan V proves that Volta was more than capable of holding it's own, Pascal remained at the top of the food chain for 28 months and that gave Nvidia the opportunity to leap frog over Volta & concentrate on getting the RTX tech they've been working on for years into a product they could bring to market.
We may see Navi filling the entire stack but that doesn't guarantee there will be a viable upgrade option for Vega owners, If we see Navi matching Vega performance they may faze out RX Vega, The next question mark is related to what memory type we'll see, Will Navi have HBM or will it be cut from the RX range of products. I think Navi is a mid-range Polaris replacement that may make a big enough performance leap that it compete's with Vega or even edges ahead but it's still only a mid range product.

Associate
I think the Titan V proves that Volta was more than capable of holding it's own, Pascal remained at the top of the food chain for 28 months and that gave Nvidia the opportunity to leap frog over Volta & concentrate on getting the RTX tech they've been working on for years into a product they could bring to market.
We may see Navi filling the entire stack but that doesn't guarantee there will be a viable upgrade option for Vega owners, If we see Navi matching Vega performance they may faze out RX Vega, The next question mark is related to what memory type we'll see, Will Navi have HBM or will it be cut from the RX range of products. I think Navi is a mid-range Polaris replacement that may make a big enough performance leap that it compete's with Vega or even edges ahead but it's still only a mid range product.

Well, bearing in mind that Vega is now 'mid-range' performance compared to the opposition, then that is where Navi will end up surely?

Navi isn't going to be Polaris level mid-range as that level of performance is now budget or entry level stuff.

Permabanned
Well, bearing in mind that Vega is now 'mid-range' performance compared to the opposition, then that is where Navi will end up surely?

Navi isn't going to be Polaris level mid-range as that level of performance is now budget or entry level stuff.

Of course, It's a new generation of cards with a new architecture so it's to be expected, I mean by taking it's position in the product stack. We saw a similar situation with Fiji when Polaris released where it couldn't match the 28nm Fury's performance, I think we should be expecting more of the same with the die shrink being equivalently sized (although that might not be the whole story), We went from 28nm Grenada & Fiji to 14nm Polaris & Vega halving the nm size, next it's from 14nm Polaris & Vega to 7nm Navi and possibly 7nm Vega, Halving the size again, If Navi is still GCN based I'm expecting a similar situation, I'd like to be wrong though.
I

Don

Polaris level of performance isn't budget or entry level, and won't be for some years to come - the market has stagnated (mainly due to AMD not being competitive) and so we haven't had anywhere near the "trickle-down" of performance that we should. Cards such as the 1050Ti or RX560 are still ~£150 and only offer the same performance as a 6 year old 7950 or GTX670.

In an ideal world a £100 Navi part would give RX570 performance, and that would really drive a price/performance shake up across the board (e.g. RTX2080ti prices couldn't be justified)

Back
Top Bottom