• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Bulldozer Finally!

Soldato
...sked ten random friends the other day 'know who AMD are...?' one person knew...ONE! and they all knew what Intel is, that speaks volumes about AMD's problem!

The problem is that AMD rarely advertise, nationally.
With Intel, they advertise on national TV, which improves the brand image and also lets joe publilc know, who Intel are and what they produce.

I also see adverts for computers which emphasise, "Intel inside". This further pushes the Intel brand into the public's faces.

AMD need to learn from this and push their brand harder. Of course, this means spending huge quantities on branding, but if they spend big in this area and demand increases (as it definitely will), AMD will be unable to cope with the demand. As it is, they are unable to meet supply.

I think the key for AMD is to produce enough CPUs to meet/surpass demand. Their next step should be push their brand (unfortunately, I don't see this happening, as they don't seem to want push their brand image, in the same way that Intel do).

Associate
Do you really believe Amd are that unaware of Intel AD campaigns? they don't advertise in domestic markets because there's no profit in it or they can't afford to, I don't believe it's an oversight.

Soldato
AMD are aware, but like I stated, for whatever reason they don't want to push their brand.

I live in the UK, and UK is a big market. I've never seen any adverts on the telly for AMD (that I can remember).

Advertising and marketing is always a risk. If you spend £1M on marketing, you may or may not get that back in additional profit. There is no magic formula. You have to try and see.

At present Intel are their main competitors. They advertise nationally. They are HUGE. Perhaps AMD should go down the route of pushing their brand. It may benefit them, but they won't know, until they try.

Soldato
yeah, agreed! everyone and their dog know who Intel are, what they do and what they manufacture, hell everyone even knows their brands like Pentium and Core which goes to show how powerful marketing is.

have seen a couple of Advanced Micro Devices mentions in written media, like adds in the newspaper for example and their badge on the TV a few times on other adverts, but surely they must understand how powerful marketing is? to sound like the devils advocate a bit to beat Intel they must beat them at their own game, Llano and Trinity give them the perfect attack point against Intel and they aren't exploiting that since Llano beats Intel offerings in that market quite nicely, Trinity is quite a bit better than Llano so should do even better, exploit it for crying out loud!

'this smart laptop with impressive battery life, 4GB of memory, massive 1TB of storage, featuring the latest powerful and versatile Fusion processor from Advanced Micro Devices, offering superior performance, stunning graphics, all at an nice affordable package, the perfect gift for Christmas...' see its not hard at all! :D and the point of superior performance and stunning graphics are both true and very valid points!

Associate
When i made the point that part of amd's problem in the past was complete lack of advertising in popular media i got shouted down by some on here and had JF-AMD talking about whether i wanted them to spend a billion on cpu development or a billion on advertising :rolleyes:. They do have to get a presence in the popular culture and become known by more then just enthusiasts and bargain hunters but they seem to have an allergy to doing it not sure why.

All that said though as it stands right now if they were well known the net would be full of complaints about them not being able to supply the product so maybe there is logic to their reasoning afterall as they rarely seem to have volume until well into a products release life. I said before i sometimes get the feeling amd are quite happy to be number two and don't seem to push themselves like they once seemed to to alter that maybe it is just me :).

Soldato
indeed, know your frustrations all too well, K8 was a world beater and had Intel potentially by the nut-sack but they never went for the jugular back then, imagine how much market share K8 could have bought them with better marketing, if people knew who they were, did everything Prescott did but better, cheaper, cooler and using less power, win win win situation!

they have the same thing going right now, Trinity is potentially another world beater by them and it will dominate the market its intended to enter, Intel just aren't competitive in that respect but without marketing nobody is going to know that, it'll be the same old 'Intel Inside' dominating as per usual, which is a damned shame! well aware they have limited resources but sometimes one has to take a leap of faith, put all your eggs in one basket, take an educated risk, they would have to put some cash into marketing Trinity but with better brand awareness I think it would work out well for them in the long run.

same thing goes will Bulldozer, fair enough its not performing where it should be at the moment, but it has an absolute ton of room for improvement, the architecture is sound and isn't the problem, manufacturing can and will improve and so will instructions/cycle I am sure, little tweaks here and there. if B3 comes out with some tweaks and gets the instructions/cycle to what they originally expected then Bulldozer will go from being as Intel fans say 'the worse processor in history...' to an incredibly competitive product, but again without brand awareness because of lack of marketing who is going to know about this, 99 out of 100 users don't read reviews, don't care about benchmarks, they just want a good processor for good price, but at the moment as far as the majority of the market is concerned there is only Intel.

Associate
I am looking forward to see what they manage to do with b3 and hope it gets bd back where it is supposed to be because if it doesn't not sure amd will challenge in the near to mid future. I do have an inkling for the underdog and also not very happy with some of intels corporate dealings which makes me reluctant to buy their products but at the end of the day i want the best for my budget and if that is an intel then i will buy it. Would be nice to see amd putting up some sort of fight advertising wise as the whole "intel inside" campaign has worked brilliantly for intel and shows how a decent ad can put you into a good position even if your products don't merit it as was the case with p4.

Soldato
1 rule of a marketing/advertising:

a poor product with excellent marketing

will outsell

a fantastic product with poor marketing

A company should spend big part of their total budget on marketing/sales teams & employees.

In terms of marketing/advertising, for me, Apple are in a different league to everybody else. No one else even comes close. As a result they are the biggest tech company in the World, by market value - this would not have been possible without their slick marketing campaigns.

Marketing/advertising is the life-blood of any company. Unfortunately, AMD do not seem to share this philosophy. Perhaps they have a good reason.

Soldato
read a very in depth review of Bulldozer the other day (shocking I know, since it showed its not a bad processor!), where the reviewer under-volted the processor, so it was running stock frequencies at 1.10V, bringing load Wattage down to 102W for the processor, down from 136W which is drop of 34W which is pretty good, brings it down to under that of a Phenom II X4 970.

so like I keep saying time and time again on here, there is stacks of room for improvement. there are a ton of people reporting the same thing with Llano based processors, with them running perfectly fine with lower voltage, think this again (for the millionth time) points toward manufacturing issues more than anything. also some indication that Bulldozer does well when all of its instructions are used, rather than un-used like in Cinebench and various other programs, just goes to show what optimisation can do for a product. ;)

Soldato
That's a biased view there Gashman.
You can undervolt the Phenom II X4 970. It should be better than the Phenom II's by default.

Same as the 2500k was better than its replaced part ; i5 750/760.

how the hell is it biased? all I said was it can be under-volt to bring wattage down, which is what so many people are whining about endlessly. you can under-volt most processors to get better power consumption figures, there is nothing biased about that...:confused:

also again totally unbiased is that it does well in applications that make use of its instructions rather than leave them sitting there doing nothing, anything that uses AVX or XOP tends to perform well on Bulldozer, again not biased just based on reviews I have read. don't quite understand where the bias in that is? also never said its performance was fantastic compared to previous generation either, neither ever recommended that someone buy the processor in its current form over competitors or previous generation.

Soldato
Even tho BD performance is a little bit underwhelming, I still feel like I want one... :o

If I upgrade my Qx9650 to a 2500k, in my head, its still 4 cores and 4 cores, but BD is 8! (Yea I know IPC is basically everything, but the heart wants what the heart wants! :rolleyes:)

When is piledriver due out?

If they can make it perform similar in performance to a 2500k then I might just get one. I want 8 cores (not that I need them!)

Does any one know if BF3 scales to 8 cores?

Edit*

Mehhh I take it back, looking at more benchmarks, this is just not defendable.

Last edited:
Caporegime
But then surly the argument comes in where it would cost more to manufacturer two different products.
I am sure it is cheaper for them to just disable modules than it is to produce a different CPU without the module.

I agree that by doing it the way that they are doing it now, that they are wasting resources. at the end of the day though it all comes down in what is cheaper for them to produce

It costs SIGNIFICANTLY less to produce 2 module chips to sell as 2 module chips than cut 4 module chips in half.

There are exceptions and points in production that better is true or not. Early on, it isn't always true simply because you WILL have failed cores so earlier on there should be a decent supply of 4 module chips with only 2 or 3 modules working. While yields aren't great it can sometimes be better to make only 4 module chips and sell off the non working ones smaller, because the margins on 4 module chips are much larger and offset lower production numbers.

Think about it like this, a two module chip at say 157.5mm2, or a 4 module at 315mm2, the bigger chips would AT BEST produce just under half as many chips per wafer. The wafer cost is pretty much irrelevant, call it £10k, and call it 500 2 module chips, meaning its $20 per core, and you can sell them for £95, thats 500 chips at £95 = £47.5k.

Now take 240 chips off the same wafer £41 a chip, but you sell them for £240 a chip, you're making £57.6k.

Basically its not a huge difference, but generally speaking more people are interested in the higher end models. Though this ignores yields, (well mostly) and how much you lose on 4 module chips that only work as 3/2 module chips and native 2 module chips that only have 1 module working..... there would be little to no interest these days from anyone for a 1 module chip, the performance of a not epic dual core is, well, meh these days and the kinds of computers you might want them in, low end laptops and maybe that performance level in a tablet, can be achieved with FAR better low power optimised architectures.

This ignores the fact that, Trinity will be more profitable than a 2 module Bulldozer, which is also a dead end core soon to be replaced. Producing the masks alone for a 2 module bulldozer would cost a few million, and they want to push trinity, not a 2 module bulldozer, so its essentially a waste.

They're already supply constrained enough as it is .... making several separate production lines which are unnecessary would pretty much put them out of the desktop processor market, at the moment.

It's something they could consider once the Gulf money for GF eventuates in more production facilities.

TSMC don't have any suitable processes for the bigger desktop CPUs ... besides, they have horrific problems with sub 40nm themselves, and will have zero spare capacity for the foreseeable future.

Essentially, not really, its not more production lines, just using a different mask set on the wafers, they'd be done on the same lines. The problem is, or not problem the thing is they have no interest long term in making 2 module Bulldozers, as 2 module Piledrivers + a gpu will be both faster, and make a higher margin and be of more interest in all the markets they want to sell volume in. Every wafer start of a 2 module Bulldozer, is one less wafer of Trinty's being made, and that is the product laptop makers, desktop builders want.

If we see 2 module Piledrivers towards the end of 2012 when we see 8 core piledrivers as well, who knows, potentially.

AMD are aware, but like I stated, for whatever reason they don't want to push their brand.

I live in the UK, and UK is a big market. I've never seen any adverts on the telly for AMD (that I can remember).

Advertising and marketing is always a risk. If you spend £1M on marketing, you may or may not get that back in additional profit. There is no magic formula. You have to try and see.

At present Intel are their main competitors. They advertise nationally. They are HUGE. Perhaps AMD should go down the route of pushing their brand. It may benefit them, but they won't know, until they try.

As always, if you can make 30mil chips a quarter AND you can sell 30mil chips per quarter, every cent you spend on marketing is lost profits. AMD's production has been borderline insane from their fab, they push their fab harder than most.

Think about the recession a couple years back, Intel shut down 2 fabs as demand was down, AMD didn't and remained at full capacity, because they have one fab, not 5 and they run it at near 100% capacity, with demand far above that. While Intel run their fabs at a lower capacity, so it was cheaper to run a few fabs at higher capacity than all their fabs at 70-80% capacity. This also means Intel can generate more sales from marketing as they have spare capacity, AMD can't.

When AMD have hugely more capacity available to them, its possible we'll see more marketing, the other problem is of course that Intel are STUPID rich, cash rich, and can spend an extra couple billion on marketing if they want, AMD are still in debt, meaning spending on marketing isn't as easy.

If Intel spend say 500mil a year now and AMD spend next to nothing, if AMD spent 500mil, Intel could spend 2billion and simply out advertise them into oblivion.

Last edited:
Soldato
Microsoft has released a Windows hotfix for BD:

http://www.techpowerup.com/156844/AMD-Bulldozer-gets-an-Update-from-Microsoft..html

"This article introduces an update that optimizes the performance of AMD Bulldozer CPUs that are used by Windows 7-based or Windows Server 2008 R2-based computers. Currently, the performance of AMD Bulldozer CPUs is slower than expected. This behavior occurs because the threading logic in Windows 7 and in Windows Server 2008 R2 is not optimized to use the Simultaneous Multithreading (SMT) scheduling feature. This feature was introduced in the Bulldozer family of AMD CPUs.

Note This issue may occur when you use applications that run in multiple threads."

Back
Top Bottom