• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Bulldozer Finally!

Caporegime
The fix should not improve multi-threaded applications which use more than half the threads an FX CPU uses,ie,only applications using up to 4 threads on an FX8100 series CPU should in theory show some sort of improvement.

It not as clear cut as that.
It depends on the application, it could improve even 8 threaded app's on how the workload is.

However, in lightly threaded app's, this will increase power consumption, as it activates another module per thread upto 4 threads.

Soldato
OTH,that might be balanced by Turbo Core though. I would assume Turbo Core would not go into higher states as often if more modules were active,ie, the voltage would not rise as much to maintain TDP.

I assume core parking would be active now too which should help improve idle power consumption.

Soldato
don't think many people care too much about power consumption regardless of how much of a big 'against' point it apparently is at the moment, considering half the people on here are running monster systems with Crossfire and SLI, with 2500K/2600K clocked to their maximum with triple monitor set-ups and what not.

but indeed, the performance increase I wouldn't expect to be above ~10% in some situations, such as gaming where hopefully the operating system will dedicate modules to these power hungry gaming threads rather than spread them across a module, that alone can be worth 10 - 15% depending on the coding, which isn't to be sniffed at to be honest. in other situations it'll probably make no difference in the slightest and in others it could have a slightly negative impact on performance though wouldn't expect that to be notable difference.

things like that though, potentially 10% boost in performance in some applications where the processor is lacking, essentially for nothing is the sort of thing that goes to show that at least some of Bulldozers problems are entirely software related, granted there are indeed a number of hardware problems like the painfully slow L2 and L3 cache, fix that and Bulldozer would likely be a proper contender when you take into account that ALU performance (measured in Dhrystone) has improved over K10.5 and FPU performance (Whetstone) has also improved, has to be a bottleneck somewhere in the processor, cache could be the likely culprit. ;)

Edit: upon reading some word on the web, apparently gains are there. smoother gameplay and such being the most apparent ones, another interesting thing (which backs up my argument from day one of it not being an eight-core processor) is the fact it now shows up as 4C/8T like a 2600K in Windows. so there we go free performance boost from a simple scheduler update, as a certain supermarket say 'every little helps...'

Last edited:
Soldato
as i said in the other thread, even if they do release the right hotfix it will only give round about 2-10% boost in some things, which gives the same or similar boost as in window 8, and 2-10% boost isn't enough to beat a 1100t clock for clock in most things.

PCZ

PCZ

Associate
i'm surprised that this thread died, i would have expected it to continue with people posting settings and clocks and volts and temps and comparisons and benchmarks etc

Buldozers performance is so bad that folks were too embarassed to post benches.
A lot were returned very shortly after purchase.

Certain people were bigging up the processor and were very active up until the launch then disapeared
Creating a false impression of BD's performance and running away before they could be brought to task over there misinformation.

Perhaps the most famous piece of mis information was "yes there will be IPC improvements"

Last edited:
Soldato
Certain people were bigging up the processor and were very active up until the launch then disapeared

So true.

It was a shame that AMD's new CPU was so poor/average.
A lot of people still fall for "8 core" marketing hype, but the truth is that the CPU was average and allowed Intel to keep their pricing high.
Had this CPU been decent, Intel would've lowered their prices, to compete with AMD. Unfortunately, I had to pay the inflated price for the 2700K.

Back
Top Bottom