• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD CES 2019 - thread with stream link

Caporegime
Any hopes that this Radeon VII was going cool and quiet were dashed as soon as the animation showed two 8 pin power connectors.

2 8 pins doesn't necessarily mean hot and loud. Look at the cooler it has for starters. My Vega 64 strix has 2 8 pins yet sometimes it struggles to break 60c while being quiet.

Soldato
The whole event was underwhelming tbh

You found an engineering sample 8c/16t Zen 2-based Ryzen with unspecified clocks beating a 4.7GHz 9900K at 27% less system power and 40% lower TDP to be "underwhelming"? There's no pleasing some people.

And you do realise that ES Ryzen was literally half of what it's capable of because there was only 1 chiplet?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
https://videocardz.com/76487/amds-7nm-vega-is-much-smaller-than-14nm-vega

AMD have already shown the chip off. Its the 7NM machine learning Vega they showed off last year with 4 stacks of HBM2.

Edit!!

Its around 331MM2:
https://community.amd.com/community...nm-gpu-and-fastest-double-precision-pcie-card

That is quite good if only around 331MM2. Surprised by the asking price then, must be HBM2 price again or just AMD working out demand and supply. Had they gone $599 I am sure it would have much better reviews and reception by people and sell a lot more which they may not be able to supply just yet perhaps.

You found an engineering sample 8c/16t Zen 2-based Ryzen with unspecified clocks beating a 4.7GHz 9900K at 27% less system power and 40% lower TDP to be "underwhelming"? There's no pleasing some people.

And you do realise that ES Ryzen was literally half of what it's capable of because there was only 1 chiplet?

Let’s be honest, the Vega 7 is very underwhelming at that price point. Good that they can provide up to 2080 performance now, but considering it is 7nm even that is very underwhelming.

But I completely agree with you, there is nothing underwhelming about Zen 2! AMD are bringing the competition in the CPU space and I hope they can do that again in the next 2 years time in the GPU space. Not had a all AMD machine in well over a decade now, looking forward to it :)

The first PC I purchased had a AMD CPU in it. As I recall it was much cheaper than the Intel version and performance was better too. After that all my CPU’s were exclusively AMD for years as they always offered better price for performance. My first Intel CPU was the core2duo, then went for the Q6600 which was a beast and lasted me ages. Had a Sandybridge cpu for a short while before selling and moving away to laptop gaming which lasted about a year or so, then got my 4770K on release which even though I am no fan of intel I have to admit has been the best CPU I have ever owned. Had it 5 and half years :)

Caporegime
The show seemed to imply it was on par if not slightly faster than a 2080. But as those are amd generated benchmarks i'll wait for reviews.

That is if you trust AMDs numbers. We all know these are cherry picked with odd settings. The reality will be performance between 2070 and 2080. In some games it might handily beat the 2080, something that needs a load of bandwidth arc. But you can be sure to take 5-10% off AMD's figures

Associate
The show seemed to imply it was on par if not slightly faster than a 2080. But as those are amd generated benchmarks i'll wait for reviews.
Just 1-2 FPS faster and those are cherrypicked numbers in AMD friendly games. It will be slower than the 2080 in most games.

Caporegime
Navi is 7nm and the future of AMD, so most people presumed that's the 7nm GPU She was going to be talking about. Which makes me worry about the timeline and the performance of Navi.

This. The fact that Navi wasn't mentioned at all and instead they rebadge failed MI60 chips as a gaming card points to issues with either the 7nm process or Navi or both. There is a reason Nvidia stuck with 12nm for Turing. IMO, 7nm still has a long way to go to be truly mainstream for large dies.

Vega7 is an emergency stop gap because they don't have anything else

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
If you recall the Fury X show also implied it was better than a 980 Ti. We all know how that turned out when the reviews came out.

It is best to wait and see the reviews.

This. The fact that Navi wasn't mentioned at all and instead they rebadge failed MI60 chips as a gaming card points to issues with either the 7nm process or Navi or both. There is a reason Nvidia stuck with 12nm for Turing. IMO, 7nm still has a long way to go to be truly mainstream for large dies.

Vega7 is an emergency stop gap because they don't have anything else

Agreed. 7nm mainstream seems to be far away. I thought Navi was a lot closer. But it is probably 9-12 months away. Even when it comes I can’t see it beating Nvidia’s rasterising performance on the cards that will have RTX on top in the larger die unless they have really made many changes to the architecture.

When would you say 7nm 3000 series will come out from Nvidia? Q1 or Q2 2020?

Glad that I picked up my Titan for £460 from members market, it seems it will be in service for longer than I expected :D

Caporegime
If you recall the Fury X show also implied it was better than a 980 Ti. We all know how that turned out when the reviews came out.

It is best to wait and see the reviews.

Agreed. 7nm mainstream seems to be far away. I thought Navi was a lot closer. But it is probably 9-12 months away. Even when it comes I can’t see it beating Nvidia’s rasterising performance on the cards that will have RTX on top in the larger die unless they have really made many changes to the architecture.

When would you say 7nm 3000 series will come out from Nvidia? Q1 or Q2 2020?

Glad that I picked up my Titan for £460 from members market, it seems it will be in service for longer than I expected :D

I always said Navi would be Q3 2019 and this seems more apparent now, potentially Q4 or even later. If the rumours are true then the fastest Navi would be close to Vega 7. when Vega20 was released last year AMD made it absolutely clear Vega20 was only for HPC/deep learning, with a Navi for Gaming coming later. They have since decided to release salavaged Vega20 to consumers, probably with minimal to non-existent margin. Navi might be longer out than we realized, possibly delayed.

As for Nvidia 3000 series, I would say probably Q2 2020. There is a good reason that nvidia stayed with the 12nm process for Turing. 7nm just isn't ready for mainstream large dies, and the performance gains off the bat are quite small. As AMD have shown, you gain about 25% performance over GF 14nm process for the same power. To really get benefits you have to make use of the higher transistor density, which is done using a new architecture that can exploit the extra billions of transistors to make some meaningful new features or design feasible. Nvidia said at CES that Moore's Law is dead, which is very true. 7nm has taken longer to arrive and offers much less of an improvement compared to previous node iterations.

Now I expect Nvidia to release a 7nm successor to Volta this year (Ampere), probably in the summer. Nvidia's HPC and gaming GPUS are diverging more and more though so I don;t know if we could learn much from Ampere.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I always said Navi would be Q3 2019 and this seems more apparent now, potentially Q4 or even later. If the rumours are true then the fastest Navi would be close to Vega 7. when Vega20 was released last year AMD made it absolutely clear Vega20 was only for HPC/deep learning, with a Navi for Gaming coming later. They have since decided to release salavaged Vega20 to consumers, probably with minimal to non-existent margin. Navi might be longer out than we realized, possibly delayed.

As for Nvidia 3000 series, I would say probably Q2 2020. There is a good reason that nvidia stayed with the 12nm process for Turing. 7nm just isn't ready for mainstream large dies, and the performance gains off the bat are quite small. As AMD have shown, you gain about 25% performance over GF 14nm process for the same power. To really get benefits you have to make use of the higher transistor density, which is done using a new architecture that can exploit the extra billions of transistors to make some meaningful new features or design feasible. Nvidia said at CES that Moore's Law is dead, which is very true. 7nm has taken longer to arrive and offers much less of an improvement compared to previous node iterations.

Now I expect Nvidia to release a 7nm successor to Volta this year (Ampere), probably in the summer. Nvidia's HPC and gaming GPUS are diverging more and more though so I don;t know if we could learn much from Ampere.
Yeah, it is a shame to see the shrink to 7nm brining so little benefit relative to what we used to get.

Hopefully Nvidia can get DLSS working much better by the time the 3000 series arrives, otherwise ray tracing won’t be very viable on that either at higher resolutions.

It does feel like we are reaching the point where I will be buying a graphics card and keeping it 3-5 years without needing to upgrade. Like I have with my 4770K.

Caporegime
yeah, graphcis cards updates will be more like CPU updates form now on I reckon.

In regards to ray tracing, Nvidia should be able to improve performance a lot going to 7nm. The extra transistor density will facilitate many more RTX cores, and ray-tracing scales much better than traditional rasterization. Nvidia's next gen GPU might only bring 25% rasterization performance gains but more than double the ray tracing performance. And that is likely one of the reasons Nvidia is pursing Ray tracing at this stage. If you can only make modest improvements in traditional rendering but can make massive generational jumps in ray-tracing, then there is the unique selling point to entice people to upgrade.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
yeah, graphcis cards updates will be more like CPU updates form now on I reckon.

In regards to ray tracing, Nvidia should be able to improve performance a lot going to 7nm. The extra transistor density will facilitate many more RTX cores, and ray-tracing scales much better than traditional rasterization. Nvidia's next gen GPU might only bring 25% rasterization performance gains but more than double the ray tracing performance. And that is likely one of the reasons Nvidia is pursing Ray tracing at this stage. If you can only make modest improvements in traditional rendering but can make massive generational jumps in ray-tracing, then there is the unique selling point to entice people to upgrade.
Yeah. That is why I skipped the 2000 series. Way over priced also.

Hopefully Nvidia price the 3000 series better. As I would like to get a 3080 Ti, but not paying a four figure sum for it. That will probably last me a very long time. After that I think I will be sticking with mid range cards like 2070 or whatever AMD is offering at the time and just upgrade that every 2-3 years, as it will probably provide a much better bang for buck and I would get something new to play with, assuming there is anything semi exciting released. Either that or stay 1 gen behind and buy people’s old stuff on members market :p

Far too many people emotionally involved with a company / product here. Either employee`s whom care or need to seek adult mental health services.....

:D

Caporegime
Don't hold your breath :p

This, more overpriced GPUs. Happens in every industry. Something sells at a high price, why compete when you can just do the same.

Only thing that can change it is a new comer, but it's just too expensive a field to start in. Prices are just going to go up and up. :/

Caporegime
As I've mentioned a couple of times, the V7 isn't cheaper than a 2080 (as of today's date).

I can purchase a 2080 now for less than £650...that's as cheap (or cheaper) than the V7 will launch at.

Where is the $100 cheaper than the 2080 coming from? It's $699 and that's only for a limited time. There are 2080's selling for $699 now.

Slower, more power consumption, no extra features like Ray Tracing or DLSS on the 2080. Not a decent sell at all. The same complaints I levelled at the 2080 at launch can now be applied to the Vega II card.

I have been a bit distant of late and just skimmed the thread. I thought it was $100 cheaper than a 2080 but if not, that isn't so good. Like Melmac said, no DLSS and no raytracing will be a harder sell at the same price point.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I have been a bit distant of late and just skimmed the thread. I thought it was $100 cheaper than a 2080 but if not, that isn't so good. Like Melmac said, no DLSS and no raytracing will be a harder sell at the same price point.
Where you been, not kayaking in this weather surely mate? :p

When comparing the two, the only negative I can see for the 2080 is it only having 8GB of VRAM. But most people are not even on higher resolutions and by the time you need more than 8GB it will be time to upgrade anyways. So yeah, even though I want to see AMD do better and claw back some market share from Nvidia, I have to agree, if priced the same and it performs about the same, I would rather go with the 2080 and get DLSS and Raytracing.

AMD probably only have so many of these cards so they are pricing it accordingly.

Caporegime
Where you been, not kayaking in this weather surely mate? :p

When comparing the two, the only negative I can see for the 2080 is it only having 8GB of VRAM. But most people are not even on higher resolutions and by the time you need more than 8GB it will be time to upgrade anyways. So yeah, even though I want to see AMD do better and claw back some market share from Nvidia, I have to agree, if priced the same and it performs about the same, I would rather go with the 2080 and get DLSS and Raytracing.

AMD probably only have so many of these cards so they are pricing it accordingly.
Kayaks put away for the Winter bud. Decorating mainly (the usual demands from her indoors) :D

16GB of HBM is great and all but don't feel it is needed. And a 2080 is on par with a 1080Ti minus the RT and DLSS stuff and they have been around for quite some time. I will have to do some reading up in a bit and see what is what. I might be missing something with Vega II?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Kayaks put away for the Winter bud. Decorating mainly (the usual demands from her indoors) :D

16GB of HBM is great and all but don't feel it is needed. And a 2080 is on par with a 1080Ti minus the RT and DLSS stuff and they have been around for quite some time. I will have to do some reading up in a bit and see what is what. I might be missing something with Vega II?
Don't think you are missing anything I don't think. The pricing probably reflects them not having the card in high enough quantity of which it would sell at if priced for less, that would be my guess. Either that or they are just about braking even or something. Got to remember, these are not 100% gaming cards, Vega was not designed for that primarily hence HBM2 and all the other features that are not needed and never get used for gaming which increases price.

Back
Top Bottom