• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD CES 2019 - thread with stream link

Caporegime
Where is the $100 cheaper than the 2080 coming from? It's $699 and that's only for a limited time. There are 2080's selling for $699 now.

Slower, more power consumption, no extra features like Ray Tracing or DLSS on the 2080. Not a decent sell at all. The same complaints I levelled at the 2080 at launch can now be applied to the Vega II card.

Slower than what? Are you expecting 2080ti performance from a die shrink at $699? If so please pass the crack pipe this way. :p

Associate
Where is the $100 cheaper than the 2080 coming from? It's $699 and that's only for a limited time. There are 2080's selling for $699 now.

Slower, more power consumption, no extra features like Ray Tracing or DLSS on the 2080. Not a decent sell at all. The same complaints I levelled at the 2080 at launch can now be applied to the Vega II card.

Sorry, I missed the part where Lisa showed all these figures you're quoting to allow you to state these facts.

Slower than what? More power than what? Extra feature that apply to a single game (atm)... I'll survive without them. :p

Plus, where did you get $699 for a limited time only? Only reference to limited time I heard from Lisa was in reference to free games :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
As I've mentioned a couple of times, the V7 isn't cheaper than a 2080 (as of today's date).

I can purchase a 2080 now for less than £650...that's as cheap (or cheaper) than the V7 will launch at.

Remember that these cheap 2080s you're looking at have gimped chips (non-A) & poor coolers. That means a minimum of 10% performance difference compared to the "standard" 2080 cards (which is what everyone's actually reviewing), without adjusting for noise (because you might not want to run the fans at 100% in order to equate the clocks). In which case you're looking more at 15%ish deficit.

Also, AMD's games are sellable, while Nvidia's aren't.

Soldato
Slower than what? Are you expecting 2080ti performance from a die shrink at $699? If so please pass the crack pipe this way. :p

Slower than the 2080. That's what it's been released against. No, the performance is exactly where I thought it would be, that's why I and others didn't think there would be a 7nm Vega card for gamers. It's exactly what I thought it would be.

Caporegime
Slower than the 2080. That's what it's been released against. No, the performance is exactly where I thought it would be, that's why I and others didn't think there would be a 7nm Vega card for gamers. It's exactly what I thought it would be.

The show seemed to imply it was on par if not slightly faster than a 2080. But as those are amd generated benchmarks i'll wait for reviews.

Soldato
Sorry, I missed the part where Lisa showed all these figures you're quoting to allow you to state these facts.

Slower than what? More power than what? Extra feature that apply to a single game (atm)... I'll survive without them. :p
Plus, where did you get $699 for a limited time only? Only reference to limited time I heard from Lisa was in reference to free games :rolleyes:

It's about 29% faster on average than the Vega 64 card, Since these are AMD's number we can take it that they are best case scenario. So that's slower than the 2080. Since its basically the same card as the MI50 it will have a 300W TDP or roughly the same as the Vega 64. So it will use more power than the 2080.

And yes, while Ray Tracing and DLSS aren't in a lot of games, they are still reasons for purchasing a 2080 over a Vega 7. If you are paying $699 for a gpu might as well get the faster performing one that has Ray Tracing.

I must have taken it up wrong about the limited time, maybe it just meant the games.

Soldato
Am struggling to find information that amd directly said they wouldn't make a gaming 7nm GPU?

This was the general write up about 7nm professional card from Web sites.

"It remains to be seen if AMD will release a 7nm Vega GPU for consumers, or if it will wait for Navi."

Nowhere can I find amd publicly statement saying no 7nm gaming. I think ocuk forum in typical fantasy world came up with new stories or some rubbish Web site posted so crap.

Sorry, didn't see this post. Somebody started a thread on here a while back about there been a 7nm gaming card coming in December. That person thought it was Navi. But, it was only the Vega 20 cards for the prosumer. IF you can find that thread I think there are links in there. I can't be bothered searching for it.

But, I did read this piece on Anandtech while I reading about the Vega 7 card.

Speaking of pricing, perhaps the thing that surprises me the most is that we’re even at this point – with AMD releasing a Vega 20 consumer card. When they first announced Vega 20 back in 2018, they made it very clear it was going to be for the Radeon Instinct series only. That the new features of the Vega 20 GPU were better suited for that market, and more importantly as a relatively large chip (313mm2) for this early in the life of TSMC’s 7nm manufacturing node, yields were going to be poor.

I thought that Navi would be coming end of Q1 2019 based on what AMD were saying around the time of Vega 20 announcment.

OcUK Staff
According to gibbo 64 uses less than a 2080 anyway so it's a moot point.

When under bolted which current 56 and 64 respond very well too.

Vega 7 could be different.

Spoken with Sapphire, no 8G versions will be coming or planned and it shall only be MBA cards, custom cooled cards maybe later and maybe more money.

Checked the MBA card, cooler is nice, also very quiet the old MBA hoover and loudness is no more in fact the cooler looks very Sapphire in design. ;)

Soldato
Did I miss the part about power consumption or heat? Watched the whole thing and read the Q&A after and not a mention. So is someone simply guessing (and likely incredibly wrong) again?

It's the same card as the Mi50. That uses 300W so Vega 7, which runs at a faster clock speed, will probably have the same 300W TDP. It's not so much a guess as a logical conclusion.

Caporegime
When under bolted which current 56 and 64 respond very well too.

Vega 7 could be different.

Spoken with Sapphire, no 8G versions will be coming or planned and it shall only be MBA cards, custom cooled cards maybe later and maybe more money.

Checked the MBA card, cooler is nice, also very quiet the old MBA hoover and loudness is no more in fact the cooler looks very Sapphire in design. ;)

MBA card? You talking about the reference board?

Soldato
It's the same card as the Mi50. That uses 300W so Vega 7, which runs at a faster clock speed, will probably have the same 300W TDP. It's not so much a guess as a logical conclusion.
Any hopes that this Radeon VII was going cool and quiet were dashed as soon as the animation showed two 8 pin power connectors.

Mixed and confused marketing from AMD again, Lisa Su claimed "we love gamers we want gamers" then she said the new card uses HBM, WTF? We may not be electrical engineers or chip desingers but a lot of the enthusiasts i.e. the sorts of people who fork £700 for am video card knows HBM doesn't benefit games only users who use large data sets.

The whole event was underwhelming tbh but Ghats what you get for reading rumours of the internet all day.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom