• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Confirms GCN Cards Don’t Feature Full DirectX 12 Support – Feature Level 11_1 on GCN 1.0, Featur

There is a big difference between current features and the full implementation of DX12.

Maxwell will not support all the upcoming features of DX12.

Having said that the same can be said of AMD cards making all this arguing about which brand is better rather pointless as they both come up short.

Quoted for truth...:) Well said.

Surely DM posted EXACTLY what you've just posted in your excessively long quote? In fact his words are so similar to those in the quote that you could be forgiven for thinking he'd read exactly the same thing and paraphrased it in his post.

And here you come starting an "I'm right, he's wrong" thread that's a blatant 100pc attempt to get a reaction. I.e. you're trolling. Again.

You are quite correct and having just re-read DM's post, he does say that, so please accept my apologies and happy to hold my hands up. 4am starts all week meant my brain was a little mashed :)

There is a big difference between current features and the full implementation of DX12.

Maxwell will not support all the upcoming features of DX12.

You can't make a card for unknown additions that might come in a couple of years or might not but as it stands at the moment, 9 series Maxwell fully supports DX12.

A bit harsh and because I enjoy tech and want to know what is what, I didn't realise that was obsessive research. Also, I had no intention of amending the title and copied and pasted as it was. Sorry if that offends you (clearly does) but I tell it like it is and no egg shells around me to stand on.

I don't like egg shell in my omelette. I wasn't asking you to amend the title but simply pointing out that it would be unlikely for cards released two years ago and designed even longer ago to be fully compatible with the dx12 spec.

I don't like egg shell in my omelette. I wasn't asking you to amend the title but simply pointing out that it would be unlikely for cards released two years ago and designed even longer ago to be fully compatible with the dx12 spec.

Well here is the thing, I see the article and copied and pasted it "as it was" and put the link in so others could read it (and it gives credit to the author that way). I didn't really feel it fair to change the title as well.

Now AMD fans have been saying how DX12 was fully compliant with AMD's GCN cards and posted charts/graphs with all different parts which can do this and that. I said on a number of occasions that GCN couldn't do ROV's and Conservative Rasterization (2 key parts of DX12) but that got ignored and then a few posts/threads later, the same FUD charts/graphs get posted and again, I tell them that GCN can't do ROV's or Conservative Rasterization and I get told I am wrong and just being a fanboy etc.

Now whilst I agree that 2 year old tech was unlikely to fully support DX12, some seemed to think it would because of some dodgy graph. I also question weather Grenada will support DX12 fully as well, as I believe it is mainly a rebrand of the 290 series? But fingers crossed, Fiji fully supports DX12.

AMD are about to do an entire refresh with reportedly much higher prices and yet they haven't bothered to update them either according to reports, surely that's the main story? the fact that with an entire new set of "new and updated" cards AMD's only fully compliant card will be the Fury.

Last edited:
Thought so, wasn't expecting full support for my 7950 considering it's age. By the time games I'm interested in supports DX12 anyway it should be around the time I want to upgrade. It's only the last year I found DX11 games that are still good to play even now :p. The fact it supports Mantle is good enough for me.

So Maxwell support two optional features that the 2 year old GCN cards not.
Shocking.

OFC now that NV has an advantage these are the most important two features in the world.

NVidia Maxwell does not support the full implementation of DX12 either.

Best wait for DX12 and Win10 to see what is what in real use rather than debating theoretical points of order.

Are you sure about that...We're talking about the iteration we're due, not further ones (DX12.1 and so on, which Maxwell supports also)

Last edited:
Do we have DX12 games?

Will hardware that doesn't fully properly support it be relevant by the time DX12 itself is relevant?

Why are people so worried about this?

Last edited:
I think the backlash against Greg in this thread is ****ing ridiculous to be honest.

My thoughts on it is that its a timely planted reminder from AMD that you need to buy their new card to boost sales by planting a story 1-2 weeks before release.

oh, and lets not forget that DX12 is simply a reskin of Mantle, hence why GCN GPU's fully support DX12

and posting made up graphs = well done
posting accurate information = trolling?

you big fat troll greg, how dare you be interested in a subject and keep on the lookout for verified source material

Back
Top Bottom