• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD demonstrates Ryzen 9 5900X prototype with 3D V-Cache stack chiplet design

Soldato
Why would you say that?
Surely if they are going with the XT naming they are not going to give it the same name as the 5600XT GPU?

5900XT will be 2x chiplets with 6-cores plus v-cache so the 5600X(T) or whatever it is going to be called is a no brainer. They should probably price it at $329 just to annoy everyone too. :p

It will look bad if they do as it will likely have similar multithreaded performance as a 3700X which was released 2.5 years earlier and was also priced at $329 so will be stagnation in MT workloads vs their own previous CPUs and not to mention being around 40% behind the 12600k.

Last edited:
Soldato
Surely if they are going with the XT naming they are not going to give it the same name as the 5600XT GPU?

It will look bad if they do as it will likely have similar multithreaded performance as a 3700X which was released 2.5 years earlier and was also priced at $329 so will be stagnation in MT workloads vs their own previous CPUs and not to mention being around 40% behind the 12600k.

Lol.

Caporegime
To add to that there will be a new range of B2 or B3 stepping amongst the 3D Cache ones.

5600X 4.65Ghz to 6600X 4.85Ghz
5800X 4.85Ghz to 6800X 5.05Ghz
6900X 5.05Ghz 3D Cache
6950X 5.2Ghz 3D Cache

IMO...

Soldato
To add to that there will be a new range of B2 or B3 stepping amongst the 3D Cache ones.

5600X 4.65Ghz to 6600X 4.85Ghz
5800X 4.85Ghz to 6800X 5.05Ghz
6900X 5.05Ghz 3D Cache
6950X 5.2Ghz 3D Cache

IMO...
So you think only the 12 and 16 core will have the Vcache?

Also it's a bit ambitious seeing a clock boost along with the Vcache.

I think we'll see Vcache on all but the clocks will remain the same or very similar.

Last edited:
Caporegime
So you think only the 12 and 16 core will have the Vcache?

Also it's a bit ambitious seeing a clock boost along with the Vcache.

I do...

Process maturity / Improvements, TSMC's n7 has been around for a few years now, 18 months on Zen 3, nearly 4 years since the Radeon VII.

At this point its due for Zen+ like enhancements, that's higher clocks at the same power, perhaps even a marginal IPC improvement of 2 or 3% like there was with Zen+.

Its worth it AMD are going to need these to last another 8 to 10 Months, Zen 4 is probably Q4 2022.

Soldato
I do...

Process maturity / Improvements, TSMC's n7 has been around for a few years now, 18 months on Zen 3, nearly 4 years since the Radeon VII.

At this point its due for Zen+ like enhancements, that's higher clocks at the same power, perhaps even a marginal IPC improvement of 2 or 3% like there was with Zen+.

Its worth it AMD are going to need these to last another 8 to 10 Months, Zen 4 is probably Q4 2022.
Will these be on 6nm though which would make sense given the 7nm constraints AMD has faced with consoles, GPU and CPU all being on the same node and would free up 7nm capacity especially if these will be in production the next couple of years.

Caporegime
Will these be on 6nm though which would make sense given the 7nm constraints AMD has faced with consoles, GPU and CPU all being on the same node and would free up 7nm capacity especially if these will be in production the next couple of years.

That's an interesting question, i don't know, i suppose they could be but its a lot more work an cost to node shrink rather than enhance.

Soldato
How much have AMD lost though in not having enough 7nm supply this past year?.

the real question is how much has everyone lost?

because this is not an amd issue it's a global supply issue

and speaking of global supply, European car manufacturers have made urgent requests for help , because their stockpiles of magnesium used in car production is going to run out in 2 to 4 weeks, all because the factories that produce 90% of the worlds magnesium for commercial use is out of action in China due to not having enough coal and water for electricity generation.

BMW, Audi, VW, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Alfa, Aston, RR, Renault etc you name it - they'll have to start designing car bodies made out of steel or wood cause they won't have any aluminium in 2-4 weeks

Soldato
I don't think AMD have really lost that much, sure for months after release both Zen3 and RDNA2 had supply issues but that's largely cleared up now, leaving 'just' the consoles perennially out of stock.

The consoles are by far the lowest margin so not selling as many of them as they could have with more capacity isn't a huge amount of profit left on the table, they're also the most 'secure' in terms of Zen3 will be 'outdated' in just a few months, RDNA2 will be longer but still compared to consoles RDNA3 products will be out long before the next gen consoles.

Soldato
I don't think AMD have really lost that much, sure for months after release both Zen3 and RDNA2 had supply issues but that's largely cleared up now, leaving 'just' the consoles perennially out of stock.

The consoles are by far the lowest margin so not selling as many of them as they could have with more capacity isn't a huge amount of profit left on the table, they're also the most 'secure' in terms of Zen3 will be 'outdated' in just a few months, RDNA2 will be longer but still compared to consoles RDNA3 products will be out long before the next gen consoles.

But every console SOC produced means less profit made from what could have been from a CPU or GPU so for AMD it would make sense to move some products over from 7nm to 6nm whether it be CPUs, GPUs or console SOCs.

Soldato
But every console SOC produced means less profit made from what could have been from a CPU or GPU
Only if the CPUs, GPUs and consoles are made on the same 7nm process. It's never been confirmed, but I've seen suggestions that the GPUs are made on N7P, which is not the same as the consoles. So console manufacturing does not impact GPU manufacturing.

Soldato
Only if the CPUs, GPUs and consoles are made on the same 7nm process. It's never been confirmed, but I've seen suggestions that the GPUs are made on N7P, which is not the same as the consoles. So console manufacturing does not impact GPU manufacturing.

Radeon supply seems pretty good. Prices are silly but you can at least buy Radeon cards.

Soldato
But every console SOC produced means less profit made from what could have been from a CPU or GPU so for AMD it would make sense to move some products over from 7nm to 6nm whether it be CPUs, GPUs or console SOCs.

That would make sense if they were unable to meet demand for CPU and GPUs sure, but my point was that they are able to meet that demand as is. CPUs have been easily available since around April iirc, GPUs more recently but pretty much the whole range is in stock now.

If you've got enough supply and make more the only thing that's likely to happen is reduced prices and hence margin... Better to concentrate on the chips that aren't in stock/selling out immediately, e.g. consoles.

Back
Top Bottom