• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD demonstrates Ryzen 9 5900X prototype with 3D V-Cache stack chiplet design

Soldato
Hang on, where did we actually hear that AMD's V-Cache desktop CPUs are going to be delayed?

The last launch date I read about was Q1 2022.

Soldato
Hang on, where did we actually hear that AMD's V-Cache desktop CPUs are going to be delayed?

The last launch date I read about was Q1 2022.

That is a delay in of itself. When Lisa first showed these chips it was due to be launched in Q4 2021, then it became December 2021 and then Q1 2022

I'm very curious as to what is causing these delays.

perhaps alder lake is better than they expected and they are trying to push Zen3 v cache harder

Soldato
The prototype Zen 3 V-Cache CPU AMD built was based on the 5900X:
https://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/147882-amd-demos-ryzen-9-5900x-prototype-added-3d-v-cache/

It's probably not a coincidence that they only presented this model back in June 2021. This generation will probably be limited to 12 cores, so. the '6900X' is likely to be the top model, due to power and heat constraints.

Personally, I think that will be more than enough for gamers, which is who AMD are aiming these CPUs at (the 5900X was considered overkill by many, for the 5000 series).

Last edited:
Soldato
That is a delay in of itself. When Lisa first showed these chips it was due to be launched in Q4 2021, then it became December 2021 and then Q1 2022

perhaps alder lake is better than they expected and they are trying to push Zen3 v cache harder

Is that due to be launched based on AMD statements or based on wccftech/videocardz/some-other-idiot-on-the-internet? I don't recally them giving any dates until they announced Q1 2022?

Soldato
I thought AMD said "start production" in Q4 2021, not "go on sale".

It's not "too late" if its stronger than anything your competition is selling at the time.

I hope to see as much back and forth as these companies can give us. I will enjoy the fruits of the competition as well as the entertainment the fanboys are sure to bring as they ride their emotional roller coasters.

Caporegime
Is that due to be launched based on AMD statements or based on wccftech/videocardz/some-other-idiot-on-the-internet? I don't recally them giving any dates until they announced Q1 2022?

Right...

Both wccftech and videocardz announced AMD was launching a chip code named Warhol, now this chip name never appeared on any of AMD's marketing slides, earlier this year wccftech and videocardz announced AMD had cancelled Warhol, again this was a chip code name AMD had never said anything about.

So accoding to wccftech and videocardz AMD had cancelled a figment of wccftech and videocardz imagination, Warhol was never a thing and to save face wccftech and videocardz framed it like they had got it right but AMD cancelled it.

Those are the type of people wccftech and videocardz are. they are full of crap.

Soldato
Right...

Both wccftech and videocardz announced AMD was launching a chip code named Warhol, now this chip name never appeared on any of AMD's marketing slides, earlier this year wccftech and videocardz announced AMD had cancelled Warhol, again this was a chip code name AMD had never said anything about.

So accoding to wccftech and videocardz AMD had cancelled a figment of wccftech and videocardz imagination, Warhol was never a thing and to save face wccftech and videocardz framed it like they had got it right but AMD cancelled it.

Those are the type of people wccftech and videocardz are. they are full of crap.

Yeah... That's what I was getting at :p

Soldato

Delays? What delays? Lisa never said available Q4 2021, she said "enters production end of 2021". She also never actually said when they'd come out, everybody assumed a production start of end of 2021 would be a Q1 2022 release.

Soldato
The prototype Zen 3 V-Cache CPU AMD built was based on the 5900X:
It's probably not a coincidence that they only presented this model back in June 2021.
It's not a coincidence. The original 5900X reveal pushed it as AMD's "ultimate gaming CPU". So, if you're going to demonstrate a 15% gaming uplift, then you use the same CPU for the comparison.

This generation will probably be limited to 12 cores...
Unfounded.

In order for this to be correct, AMD are only applying V cache to chiplets after they've been binned to find defective cores. That's not going to happen, because the cache is part of the manufacturing process. So then if AMD have a perfectly working 8 core chiplet with cache, why bother with the additional manufacturing expense if they're not going to use it? Now granted it could just get whisked away for a Milan-X build, but what if AMD have a 8 core v cache chiplet that's too leaky for server?

These v cache chiplets are going to be binned in exactly the same way as before, and will be used accordingly. There is no reason whatsoever for AMD to not refresh the entire Ryzen 5000 line with v cache chiplets.

...the '6900X' is likely to be the top model, due to power and heat constraints.
Where has tis talk of power and heat constraints come from? How much extra power do you think a tiny sliver of cache is going to use? The capability to stack cache was in the Zen 2 chiplet, it just wasn't used, so this design is well known to AMD. Do you think they'd bother if there was suddenly a power and heat issue?

Highly, highly doubtful, but of course we'll have to wait.

Soldato
Delays? What delays? Lisa never said available Q4 2021, she said "enters production end of 2021". She also never actually said when they'd come out, everybody assumed a production start of end of 2021 would be a Q1 2022 release.

The 5 years of Zen video from AMD did say Q1 2022 availability. (Still not "delayed" though unless they come out Q2 or later)

Soldato
@LePhuronn - Compare the total power usage of 8 core Zen 3 CPUs, 1 with 16MB of L3 cache, one with 32MB:
https://tpucdn.com/review/amd-ryzen-7-5700g/images/power-multithread.png

So around 25w higher power usage, maybe slightly less taking into account small clock frequency differences.

So perhaps ~20w for an increase of 16MB is a fair estimate.

If we assume a 5800X with an additional 32MB of L3 cache (64MB in total) was released, I'd expect that to result in an additional 40w of power usage, putting it over 200w under full load.

This assumes the extra V-Cache is just as power efficient as adding extra cache to the main CCX chip /chips.

The problem is that it's still Zen 3 on the same TSMC 7nm fabrication technology.

Looking at the 5950X, it's not a very power efficient CPU already, hitting 248W with all cores clocked at 'just' 4.5ghz:
https://tpucdn.com/review/amd-ryzen-9-5950x/images/power-multithread.png

With a notably lower base clock than the 5900X.

I think it would be a smart move for AMD to release the V-Cache desktop CPUs with some powerful coolers included in the box (with the option to buy without a cooler too).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom