• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD demonstrates Ryzen 9 5900X prototype with 3D V-Cache stack chiplet design

Soldato
AMD's implementation of resizable BAR (allowing higher VRAM usage simultaneously) seems to have been better implemented than Nvidia's, which in many cases hasn't so far resulted in improved performance on Ampere cards.

Anyway, completely different feature to RDNA2's infinity cache.

Associate
AMD hasn't mentioned any cancellations and according to the Gamers Nexus video of AMD's livestream event they expect the 5900X3D and 5950X3D will come while they are uncertain of the 5600X3D as the gains may not scale well enough with that CPU.

Associate
cancelled due to poor yields and high heat
Where has this been said? I just watched a HUB video that said the 3D Cache only really made sense in the 5800X in the first instance but they expected other versions to come.

Could you share what you know for fact about the thermals, would be really interested to see if they get as hot as ADL can. Personally i think we are only seeing 5800X versions due to the success of Milan X, that is however speculation on my part and not as factual as your post infers

Soldato
Where has this been said? I just watched a HUB video that said the 3D Cache only really made sense in the 5800X in the first instance but they expected other versions to come.

Could you share what you know for fact about the thermals, would be really interested to see if they get as hot as ADL can. Personally i think we are only seeing 5800X versions due to the success of Milan X, that is however speculation on my part and not as factual as your post infers

The 5800X3D has a lower clock speed than the vanilla 5800X. There's a reason for that. I don't know if it's heat specifically, power, the ability of a large amount of cache to reach certain speeds...whatever it is..the clock speed fell off.

Soldato
There is a 5600 non X its the 5600G ;) , theres also Ryzen 3 5300 as well (all OEM parts). But yes Steve did suggest the non x for retail - but i think we got the 5600G instead.

My point is, I don't think he actually knows. (We also don't know that there isn't going to be more vcache SKU's)

Soldato
GN also said the expected a 5600 non-X back when the 5600X was brand new.
That would be hard considering the 5600X is a just a renamed 5600 non X to make the price hike look less harsh, a true 5600X would have been a 95w part like all the 600X parts AMD has made since the beginning of zen.

Associate
Will 5900x and 5950x 3d come we don't know, they tested 5900x with it and it works, but we will see. Most important thing is AMD have gaming crown again with old architecture, while Intel worked hard and created completely new architecture just to be beated with simple cache integration.

Soldato
Will 5900x and 5950x 3d come we don't know, they tested 5900x with it and it works, but we will see. Most important thing is AMD have gaming crown again with old architecture, while Intel worked hard and created completely new architecture just to be beated with simple cache integration.
How can they have the gaming crown with an unreleased CPU which hasn't even been independently tested yet?

Associate
The 5800X3D has a lower clock speed than the vanilla 5800X. There's a reason for that. I don't know if it's heat specifically, power, the ability of a large amount of cache to reach certain speeds...whatever it is..the clock speed fell off.
Not denying that. I was replying to a quote that specifically mentioned yields and heat and was mentioned as a matter of fact. I wondered if there was proof of this? I ask because the HUB video linked it directly to the speed of the V-Cache.

Associate
How can they have the gaming crown with an unreleased CPU which hasn't even been independently tested yet?
The same way everyone claimed Intel had regained the gaming crown after Intel released their internal benchmarks pre release. Hell at least one poster on here even claimed teh 11900K had regained the gaming crown befroe a single piece of factual information had been released.

Soldato
Not denying that. I was replying to a quote that specifically mentioned yields and heat and was mentioned as a matter of fact. I wondered if there was proof of this? I ask because the HUB video linked it directly to the speed of the V-Cache.

It's more likely that AMD are just binning the chiplets to higher margin products, in other words EPYC, since this is where they make the margins. They've committed 6nm to the new APU's and GPU's, so if they are running short of wafer allocation and increasing demand then they have no choice.

Soldato
The same way everyone claimed Intel had regained the gaming crown after Intel released their internal benchmarks pre release. Hell at least one poster on here even claimed teh 11900K had regained the gaming crown befroe a single piece of factual information had been released.
That was about a week before the CPUs came out and they were independently verified a couple of days later, the 5800X3D isn't out for around 4 months yet.

Back
Top Bottom