• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD : FreeSync Monitors Shipping in December – Will Cost $100 Less Than Nvidia G-Sync

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Some monitors could be enabled with just a FW update, but it won't happen.

Let's say I am Monitor Company A Ltd. I have a display out there I've been flogging for £200 for ages. I can offer a FW update, but it could cause warranty issues when people brick monitors, and I get nothing from it.

Or, I could sell a £220 "Freesync Edition".

Which do you think we will see? This isn't under AMDs control.

Soldato
OP
Can you not read? I said "equal". Not better.

And again, we've been getting rammed down our throats that frame rate isn't the defining factor of performance.

The two won't be "equal" as a blanket statement, even at 1080p.

Frame rate isn't... But what makes you think an FX83 vs i5 would have worst frame latency? you have anything to back that up? <--- honest question

Soldato
That is true! I am ready for disappointment :p I can easy keep doing what I doing right now.

:D

Can you actually update a monitors firmware through those cables? Or are you guessing? I literally have no memory of firmware updates on a monitor.

Not guessing, 100% sure, done it on a Samsung monitor before(as it had a firmware update to cure a black screen fault), it's basically like installing a driver but you need to run it with dual screens or a laptop and it flashes it through the display cable.

Soldato
OP
You're not getting it.

What am I not getting? My monitor now has a USB you saying a new monitor with the possibility cant have some sort of fail proof firmware updating system?

Most newer Motherboards now have this! my Asus p8z77 can even update without having CPU or RAM installed.

You making it sound like its Alien and no one can update monitor or they will blow.

Caporegime
Not guessing, 100% sure, done it on a Samsung monitor before(as it had a firmware update to cure a black screen fault), it's basically like installing a driver but you need to run it with dual screens or a laptop and it flashes it through the display cable.

Awesome, that's all I needed. Looking at the BenQ's, it's not that simple at all, needing external hardware with Windows, or using Linux and some "special" driver.

I imagined that it'd only really be easy via USB upstream, and having never updated a monitors firmware before, logically there was no reason to think otherwise (Obviously, with the exception of other data input, Ethernet etc)

Last edited:
Caporegime
What am I not getting? My monitor now has a USB you saying a new monitor with the possibility cant have some sort of fail proof firmware updating system?

Most newer Motherboards now have this! my Asus p8z77 can even update without having CPU or RAM installed.

You making it sound like its Alien and no one can update monitor or they will blow.

I'm not even sure you're reading what I'm typing, so I won't bother.
It's almost like you're reading one thing, and getting four other things. It's so frustrating. I just want to chuck my monitor out the window.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm not even sure you're reading what I'm typing, so I won't bother.
It's almost like you're reading one thing, and getting four other things. It's so frustrating. I just want to chuck my monitor out the window.

You said how did I update I told you by Wifi, cable or USB... Ok on TV you have choice update by internet it will download and flash the firmware. By USB go to Site and download the file put on USB plug into TV go to firmware page and click USB..

Is that what you really wanted to know? Its a bloody file you install, not some sort taking apart the display and installing new hardware.

My God! you ever updated a MB firmware? its just like that.

Soldato
You're not getting it. In fact, you're actually frustrating me.

How I feel when I tried to read these posts looking for facts and relevant known information, not just PR guff.

Updating a monitors firmware and updating a TV's firmware is totally different in the majority of cases.

Remember the benq z series that had firmware issues....

http://www.blurbusters.com/benq/diy-firmware-upgrade-for-benq-z-series/

Unless specifically done to allow firmware updates during manufacturing (extra cost and lots of variables depending on features) then doing it on an old monitor is going to be one difficult job for the average user.

Caporegime
You said how did I update I told you by Wifi, cable or USB... Ok on TV you have choice update by internet it will download and flash the firmware. By USB go to Site and download the file put on USB plug into TV go to firmware page and click USB..

Is that what you really wanted to know? Its a bloody file you install, not some sort taking apart the display and installing new hardware.

My God! you ever updated a MB firmware? its just like that.

You're STILL not getting it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom