• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***AMD Freesync owners thread***

Associate
yeah of course I whacked it up to break it.

Over 60 fps is where we all want to be and the feature works when you set it up to achieve 60 fps or more. But it works perfectly fine at 40-60 fps

Yeah defo :)

In your honest opinion would it be hard to go back to normal gaming after experiencing the free sync smoothness? Drivers aside

Soldato
yeah no doubt it's like the 120 hz back to 60 hz issue. I was surprised how much of a noticeable difference it made to the games I play a lot.

I noticed immediately and I'm going to be sad when i have to give the monitor that gibbo has let me review back. (which will be monday)

I'm trying to work out How I can afford to buy it :D

Last edited:
Associate
yeah no doubt it's like the 120 hz back to 60 hz issue. I was surprised how much of a noticeable difference it made to the games I play a lot.

I noticed immediately and I'm going to be sad when i have to give the monitor that gibbo has let me review back. (which will be monday)

I'm trying to work out How I can afford to buy it :D

That's great to hear then, now give me the crossfire drivers AMD :(!!!!!!

Argh not good, im sure Halifax are offering great prices on limbs at the moment? :D

Soldato
TwsT, Have you ever used/tried a Asus PB278Q.(or anyone else for that matter) How would you compare image quality to the current crop of Freesync monitors?

Was also wondering if you've heard anything from Asus on the MG279Q

Associate
When a monitor runs below 30-40hz it flickers really bad therefore no freesync monitor will support below 30-40hz.

The tech can go to sub 9hz but there is no point if your eyes dont like it.

Caporegime
When a monitor runs below 30-40hz it flickers really bad therefore no freesync monitor will support below 30-40hz.

The tech can go to sub 9hz but there is no point if your eyes dont like it.

People just ignore that because, you know, must big up Nvidia and put down AMD.

Facts are Pcper noticed significant flickering with g-sync below 40fps but claimed it was down to a pre-production monitor and refused to accept it was a real issue... then months later blames Freesync for increased ghosting on a different monitor without just changing the overdrive option on the screen.

Anandtech months and months after the Pcper review also reviewed the Swift with a also noticed flicker below 45fps but basically glossed over it.

Low hz gaming is and always has been ****, whenever a g-sync screen shows flicker, there is some excuse, when AMD/freesync monitors lock out refresh rates that would induce flicker... they get called incompetent.

Money talks when it comes to reviewing and perception, Nvidia has lots of it, because when you keep throwing money at the people who can highlight problems you just generate more sales and more money, it's how the world works.

Beats by Dre, some of the worst headphones ever, put all R&D money into marketing money instead, get famous people to wear them and buy reviews.... generate billions in sales because that is all that matters, perception and who is using them, not how good they are.

Don
People just ignore that because, you know, must big up Nvidia and put down AMD.

Facts are Pcper noticed significant flickering with g-sync below 40fps but claimed it was down to a pre-production monitor and refused to accept it was a real issue... then months later blames Freesync for increased ghosting on a different monitor without just changing the overdrive option on the screen.

Anandtech months and months after the Pcper review also reviewed the Swift with a also noticed flicker below 45fps but basically glossed over it.

Low hz gaming is and always has been ****, whenever a g-sync screen shows flicker, there is some excuse, when AMD/freesync monitors lock out refresh rates that would induce flicker... they get called incompetent.

Money talks when it comes to reviewing and perception, Nvidia has lots of it, because when you keep throwing money at the people who can highlight problems you just generate more sales and more money, it's how the world works.

Beats by Dre, some of the worst headphones ever, put all R&D money into marketing money instead, get famous people to wear them and buy reviews.... generate billions in sales because that is all that matters, perception and who is using them, not how good they are.

Are you paid or have a financial interest in AMD?

Don
Why do you only ask those types of questions to users that don't conform with Nvidia policy?:)

Why are you jumping to his defense?

It's a simple question

I asked it because the discussion is about freesync, yet most posts he writes brings Nvidia in to it in a negative way. Like when AMD talk about something they mostly mention the competition.

Last edited:
Caporegime

It's a simple question

I asked it because the discussion is about freesync, yet most posts he writes brings Nvidia in to it in a negative way. Like when AMD talk about something they mostly mention the competition.

I have Nvidia stock currently actually, and some Intel, and some MS and I'm likely to sell Nvidia and MS soon and get a bunch of AMD stock before Zen comes out, maybe earlier if Mediatek using AMD gpu's is confirmed anywhere.

Does that help you? It's funny because in this thread the response range was the topic of conversation and that is what I was talking about. AMD/monitor makers chose appropriate refresh rate limits that prevent flicker. Nvidia's premium(and massively over priced) g-sync panel has from one huge tech site and one medium sized site both found it flickers below 40hz yet both reviews mention it in passing and barely care about what is a fundamental flaw with Nvidia's implementation. One of those sites openly criticised AMD for their own incompetence in picking the right settings on the monitor, but was clearly a monitor issue. That site which claimed the flickering didn't matter because it wasn't a final product.

This is a post about freesync, my post was about freesync, you decided to try to paint my post in a negative way because it wasn't positive about Nvidia

Soldato

It's a simple question

Its a silly simple question that is used far to often when someone disagrees with what was said, and there are plenty of AMD users doing the same when some other users constantly talk about AMD in a negative way.

And DM has mentioned his stock interest many times in the past.

Last edited:
Don
I have Nvidia stock currently actually, and some Intel, and some MS and I'm likely to sell Nvidia and MS soon and get a bunch of AMD stock before Zen comes out, maybe earlier if Mediatek using AMD gpu's is confirmed anywhere.

Does that help you? It's funny because in this thread the response range was the topic of conversation and that is what I was talking about. AMD/monitor makers chose appropriate refresh rate limits that prevent flicker. Nvidia's premium(and massively over priced) g-sync panel has from one huge tech site and one medium sized site both found it flickers below 40hz yet both reviews mention it in passing and barely care about what is a fundamental flaw with Nvidia's implementation. One of those sites openly criticised AMD for their own incompetence in picking the right settings on the monitor, but was clearly a monitor issue. That site which claimed the flickering didn't matter because it wasn't a final product.

This is a post about freesync, my post was about freesync, you decided to try to paint my post in a negative way because it wasn't positive about Nvidia

Flickering with G-sync was on loading screens and in menu's when the frame count went through the ceiling, Nvidia seem to have sorted it now. i have no real affinity to AMD or Nvidia and will be investing in a freesync monitor myself when a new AMD card arrives.

It was a genuine question with regards to having any form of involvement with AMD, nothing derogatory but you just seem to come in quickly to defend AMD and never really do the same vice versa.

Soldato
OP

It's a simple question

Never asked why you asked it and thought my lack of +1/^this/direct agreement with his post was evident that I didn't have an opinion with his post.

I'll try again, why do you only ask those types of questions to users that don't conform with Nvidia policy?:)

Don
Never asked why you asked it and thought my lack of +1/^this/direct agreement with his post was evident that I didn't have an opinion with his post.

I'll try again, why do you only ask those types of questions to users that don't conform with Nvidia policy?:)

And I will say to you I long lost the will to communicate with you.

Caporegime
Flickering with G-sync was on loading screens and in menu's when the frame count went through the ceiling, Nvidia seem to have sorted it now. i have no real affinity to AMD or Nvidia and will be investing in a freesync monitor myself when a new AMD card arrives.

It was a genuine question with regards to having any form of involvement with AMD, nothing derogatory but you just seem to come in quickly to defend AMD and never really do the same vice versa.

It was in loading screens when the frame count went high... no it wasn't.

Direct quote from Anandtech review..

One of the other issues that you run into with 4K gaming and G-SYNC is that you will frequently drop below 40 FPS in demanding games. At that point, the on-screen pixels begin to decay and you can see a noticeable flicker. That's one more reason to stick with a lower resolution, as staying above 40 FPS isn’t as difficult, but there are other potential benefits. With a 144Hz maximum refresh rate, rather than only drawing a frame twice when the refresh rate drops below 30Hz, it’s possible for G-SYNC to draw frames twice at anything below 72FPS, at which point flicker shouldn’t be an issue. It’s not clear whether or not ASUS (or NVIDIA G-SYNC) do this right now, and the response when I asked was a cryptic “we are not releasing any implementation details on G-SYNC right now”, which means it may be a future feature (and there’s likely a bit of overhead with drawing a frame twice). It would be smart to at least draw twice at frame rates below 45 FPS, though, as that’s when flicker starts to become a problem and there’s no reason a 144Hz display couldn’t refresh twice (effectively 90Hz).

They categorically stated that flicker was visible below 40fps/hz and while Nvidia should start refreshing more often to avoid it they don't and Nvidia wouldn't say why they don't.

Pcper also saw flicker but insisted that it was down to pre-production model.

Anandtech did a review relatively recently with a well into production model. They saw flickering, lots of other reviews hint at it but being supplied with free monitors(and often on site advertising) manage to not believe flickering is a huge deal.

The fact that games themselves stutter along at 30fps anyway just a different kind of stutter seems irrelevant. The Nvidia crowd seem to ignore that going below a certain refresh rate gives you a crap experience as confirmed by many reviews then complain when AMD/monitor makers sensibly make the choice to not allow refresh rates that low.

Even though I had specifically stated it was a problem and in low refresh/frame rates you decided to post to tell me it was an entirely different problem and claimed it was fixed. There seems to be one of us who jumps into threads defending 'their' company every time someone posts accurate and non positive information about said company... and it isn't me.

Soldato
OP
@TwsT,

thanks for the feedback(missed that page:o).:)

Hi there

AMD promised us FREESYNC would have no price premium and they were telling us the truth:

LG 29UM67 29" FREESYNC Gaming Super-Wide Widescreen LED Monitor - Black @ £279.95 inc VAT

MO-128-LG_400.jpg

Stunning:cool:

Entry level AS tech at a cracking price will get a few more undecided on board I imagine.

And I will say to you I long lost the will to communicate with you.

Your multiple diversions to the question asked is answer enough, no more needs to be said, thanks. :cool:

:)

Don
It was in loading screens when the frame count went high... no it wasn't.

Direct quote from Anandtech review..

They categorically stated that flicker was visible below 40fps/hz and while Nvidia should start refreshing more often to avoid it they don't and Nvidia wouldn't say why they don't.

Pcper also saw flicker but insisted that it was down to pre-production model.

Anandtech did a review relatively recently with a well into production model. They saw flickering, lots of other reviews hint at it but being supplied with free monitors(and often on site advertising) manage to not believe flickering is a huge deal.

The fact that games themselves stutter along at 30fps anyway just a different kind of stutter seems irrelevant. The Nvidia crowd seem to ignore that going below a certain refresh rate gives you a crap experience as confirmed by many reviews then complain when AMD/monitor makers sensibly make the choice to not allow refresh rates that low.

Even though I had specifically stated it was a problem and in low refresh/frame rates you decided to post to tell me it was an entirely different problem and claimed it was fixed. There seems to be one of us who jumps into threads defending 'their' company every time someone posts accurate and non positive information about said company... and it isn't me.

I was talking in reference to my own G-Sync monitor and what I have seen, I should have made that clear. I have not noticed the flickering bellow 40fps(but maybe I have not had it as most of the games I play are not that demmanding)

Oh and yes there was flickering during loading screens and some menus(as i wintessed it myself) and is also well documented around the internet, so I suggest you check other "FACTS" before ranting.

Oh and just to add I never once said what you said was incorrect with regards to G-Sync so I have no idea why you are ranting on about that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom