• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***AMD Freesync owners thread***

Associate
That's incorrect I'm afraid mate, switching it off actually increases G2G response times.

Here is an image with it off: kJBf8oO.jpg

Here's with it set to high: UQyWAjw.jpg

Here's with it set to premium: JW0ZaE7.jpg

As you can see neither is ideal but the high setting has the least noticeable ghosting.

Off looks like the best option there as trails from slow pixel response don't intrude nearly as much as overshoot for me and on high the overdrive is causing a whole load of overshoot!

Last edited:

Mei

Mei

Soldato
look out for my all new hardware reviews where i pout a lot and gregster tries to pronounce ubisoft!!!

all these review sites suck!
they about to learn what time it is!!!

Soldato
OP

huge plaudits to AMD and their partners for FreeSync, and to VESA for implementing Adaptive Sync as a optional standard in DisplayPort 1.2a. With continued support many more people should be enjoying tear-and-stutter-free gaming in the very near future. In the mean time we have more to look at with FreeSync, and will be adding to this article accordingly. Even so, despite this being a strictly first impressions, FreeSync has to get our Elite award for being an absolute game changer.

First quick impressions are very good.. It really does smooth out the frame itch /stutter you get when frame rate drops..

Perfect test is to blow something up in Battlefield and close range and then move about really fast.. It remains smooth

More testing needed could only use it test range for couple mins..

:cool:

Any severe frame drops or flickering and do you think it's worth the investment?

Soldato
I think it's worth the investment unless you're one of those people who likes everything on ultra so you get less than 40 fps.

It's rubbish and doesn't work under 40 fps.

Soldato
yes the benq is range is 40hz - 144hz

so below 40hz the freesync doesn't work

at below 40 fps the vsync can't sync to the hz so it is just as crap as it always was. (it is actually better with v sync disabled at this fps) Metro Last light is a good game to test this on if anyone wants to confirm it :)

This obviously won't be a problem for Xfire users except that as far as i am aware Xfire doesn't work on freesync.

As soon as i dropped some of the tessalation and got the fps above 40 the freesync kicked in and worked just fine.

Soldato
yes the benq is range is 40hz - 144hz

so below 40hz the freesync doesn't work

at below 40 fps the vsync can't sync to the hz so it is just as crap as it always was.

This obviously won't be a problem for Xfire users except that as far as i am aware Xfire doesn't work on freesync.

Allright, thought freesync worked at lower hz.

Soldato
Allright, thought freesync worked at lower hz.

Well it does it works at 40hz, Realistically PC gamers buying a XL2730Z will be looking to utilize the 144hz side of things.

Other panels may go lower and focus on a smaller range. (and IPS freesync for example may focus on (30-75 hz)

honestly with it enabled and vsync turned on the game basically works as well as it ever could aslong as the fps is above 40 on the Benq.

TTL writes this

As always there are a few small caveats. The most obvious, and it's so obvious it barely needs mentioning, is that you need an AMD card to use this. In some ways we fear it will go the same way as PhysX because of this, where the technology that wins is the one that works on everything. The second thing of note is that, at the time of writing, there is no CrossFire support. R9 295X2 owners or those of you with multiple physical cards need not apply. At the time of writing there is no support for Eyefinity either which is a massive shame considering that this was one of the things AMD had absolutely nailed. Given that the biggest gains from Freesync are to be had when you're above the usual 60FPS limit then it behooves you to have as much graphical prowess as possible and so we're sure that AMD will fix this limitation sooner rather than later. Lastly in titles with particularly low frame rates, 20-odd FPS in Metro for example, having Freesync on brings with it a stuttering that isn't present with Freesync off.

Soldato
Depends on the monitor.

Even if we see monitors that work down to 9hz or whatever I don't think you want to be gaming at anything lower than 30.

indeed i was going to get to that. at 9 fps I don't care if theirs taring I'm not playing it :D

There comes a point where you have to focus on performance and i would say 30fps is the absolute minimum. The Benq is no doubt aimed at FPS gamers who play csgo cod bf4 it works so well on bf4 and with the mantle too it's great. Looks great feels great. I could honestly say with freesync I'd be more happy to play games at 60fps than i was before freesync. I've always sacrificed my Graphical Quality for fps in the past to keep it up to as close as 120 fps as possible.

Associate
Well it does it works at 40hz, Realistically PC gamers buying a XL2730Z will be looking to utilize the 144hz side of things.

Other panels may go lower and focus on a smaller range. (and IPS freesync for example may focus on (30-75 hz)

honestly with it enabled and vsync turned on the game basically works as well as it ever could aslong as the fps is above 40 on the Benq.

TTL writes this

I honestly believe gamers who are dipping that low would either change settings to accommodate or get more GPU grunt, whether that be multiple GPU or just a better GFX card. I was quite worried at first but don't anticipate to dip as low as that

Caporegime
Another good point TTL made was if you're spending £500 on a screen you should be spending at least that on your graphics cards.

Obviously the 1080p screens will be cheaper so the same rule will apply as you won't need as much grunt.

Soldato
I honestly believe gamers who are dipping that low would either change settings to accommodate or get more GPU grunt, whether that be multiple GPU or just a better GFX card. I was quite worried at first but don't anticipate to dip as low as that

yeah of course I whacked it up to break it.

Over 60 fps is where we all want to be and the feature works when you set it up to achieve 60 fps or more. But it works perfectly fine at 40-60 fps

Back
Top Bottom