• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***AMD Freesync owners thread***

Crossfire doesn't work but I added a profile for a game, disabled crossfire and then set that profile to system wide so the 2nd core is switched off, restarted and CCC let me enable freesync, the monitor also shows it enabled.

It's not ideal but at least I can test it out :)

Crossfire doesn't work but I added a profile for a game, disabled crossfire and then set that profile to system wide so the 2nd core is switched off, restarted and CCC let me enable freesync, the monitor also shows it enabled.

It's not ideal but at least I can test it out :)

Well, great job Adam. Looking forward to seeing how you find it. :)

You are just talking absolute garbage about G-Sync and basing your whole flawed argument on early review samples. Just FYI, I run G-Sync and never get flickering except if I alt and tab out and that is literally a split second.

You totally ignore what anyone has to say and keep banging the same garbage. Compare the 2 by all means and link to shiny reviews as well but give it up with the G-Sync nonsense please. Tiresome droning is all I am reading from you.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8915/asus-rog-swift-pg278q-g-sync-monitor-review/2

One of the other issues that you run into with 4K gaming and G-SYNC is that you will frequently drop below 40 FPS in demanding games. At that point, the on-screen pixels begin to decay and you can see a noticeable flicker. That's one more reason to stick with a lower resolution, as staying above 40 FPS isn’t as difficult, but there are other potential benefits. With a 144Hz maximum refresh rate, rather than only drawing a frame twice when the refresh rate drops below 30Hz, it’s possible for G-SYNC to draw frames twice at anything below 72FPS, at which point flicker shouldn’t be an issue. It’s not clear whether or not ASUS (or NVIDIA G-SYNC) do this right now, and the response when I asked was a cryptic “we are not releasing any implementation details on G-SYNC right now”, which means it may be a future feature (and there’s likely a bit of overhead with drawing a frame twice). It would be smart to at least draw twice at frame rates below 45 FPS, though, as that’s when flicker starts to become a problem and there’s no reason a 144Hz display couldn’t refresh twice (effectively 90Hz).

You are the second Nvidia user to come to the defence(in the past couple of days) claiming something other than what it is. Feb 2015 review, it's not preproduction. The other Nvidia guy also decided to say it was pre-production issue and ONLY happened at high framerates in game menus. Twaddle.

Low refresh rates suck balls, always have, always will, no idea why people think that will have changed. Learn about the screen technology, the length of time the light is on, why low motion blur modes aren't compatible with *sync and why it's crucial to run it at very high refresh rates, and with a consistent refresh rate.

I trust Anandtech over you and couple other extreme Nvidia fan boys who just randomly claim counter arguments that are stupid. If you linked to something that said, you know, this is a problem that has been fixed, that is one thing. But every rebuttal is "it was only early reviews" or "it was an entirely different issue, you didn't read it right", even when I've quoted the piece from the review.

You claim it's pre-production model issue only yet the review is from a month ago.

Well this thing about freesync and ghosting may hold true.

Not sure if it's freesync, this monitor or because I've been playing at higher fps and with blur reduction enabled but ghosting is instantly noticeable again in FIFA and Shadow of Mordor with freesync on.

Well this thing about freesync and ghosting may hold true.

Not sure if it's freesync, this monitor or because I've been playing at higher fps and with blur reduction enabled but ghosting is instantly noticeable again in FIFA and Shadow of Mordor with freesync on.

AMDMatt mentioned this has to do with the monitors quality rather than Freesync.

If this occurs on more expensive and better quality monitors, we will have to wait and see to judge.

Well the worry is this is likely going to be one of the most expensive freesync monitors, the 1080p variants will be a lot less. I can't see many screens of similar specs being higher priced, apart from ASUS.

It's starting to look like the monitor is the problem as I've just turned freesync off and left blur reduction disabled and the ghosting is the same.

So it seems the only way to completely get rid of ghosting in the games that really show it is to use blur reduction but that doesn't work with freesync.

Reading into it a little more, the panel may not be to blame entirely either, it could actually be freesync:

As we understand it, G-Sync uses its on-board memory to buffer the previous frame, using this data combined on-the-fly with the next incoming frame to calculate appropriate drive voltages and compensate for ghosting (similar to overdrive).

FreeSync relies on the regular adaptive sync TCONs that at present don't seem capable of correcting for this when operating in VRR modes. The BENQ panel does have a 'Blur Reduction' mode, but that drops it out of FreeSync mode and shifts to constant refresh when enabled. One note - switching this while running the FreeSync demo hung the display and I could only get the screen back up after rebooting both the system and hard restarting the panel by unplugging it.

...but FreeSync / adaptive sync *are* introducing it. This is an issue that was corrected years ago in constant refresh rate LCDs, and continued to be corrected with G-Sync. The issue is now re-introduced with current non-G-Sync VRR panels. Whoever's fault it is is not relevant to the fact that ghosting *is* present in the first three FreeSync panels we have looked at so far.

Last edited:
Well the worry is this is likely going to be one of the most expensive freesync monitors, the 1080p variants will be a lot less. I can't see many screens of similar specs being higher priced, apart from ASUS.

It's starting to look like the monitor is the problem as I've just turned freesync off and left blur reduction disabled and the ghosting is the same.

So it seems the only way to completely get rid of ghosting in the games that really show it is to use blur reduction but that doesn't work with freesync.

Reading into it a little more, the panel may not be to blame entirely either, it could actually be freesync:

Honestly what is your opinion now you've tested it? I've literally just bought this monitor and have a 295x2 so haven't been able to test as of yet

You tried adjust the contrast?

Freesync is excellent, I noticed right away just how much cleaner and smoother the image was but ghosting is really apparent for me in some games and not something I expect from a £500 screen. I'm going to hold out till some of the proper monitor only sites like tftcentral get their review out. If they confirm it as well then it's getting sold, ghosting is not something I'm willing to put up with.

You tried adjust the contrast?

Had it set at 40 mate, seems to reduce it a little but don't know if it's just placebo as ghosting was still there.

Freesync is excellent, I noticed right away just how much cleaner and smoother the image was but ghosting is really apparent for me in some games and not something I expect from a £500 screen. I'm going to hold out till some of the proper monitor only sites like tftcentral get their review out. If they confirm it as well then it's getting sold, ghosting is not something I'm willing to put up with.

Had it set at 40 mate, seems to reduce it a little but don't know if it's just placebo as ghosting was still there.

Sorry Ayahuasca is they anyway if you get a spare few minutes talk me through the process for me to be able to try out freesync on this screen and my 295x2 please? tried adding a BF4 profile but couldn't see the other wide setting. regards!!

Sorry Ayahuasca is they anyway if you get a spare few minutes talk me through the process for me to be able to try out freesync on this screen and my 295x2 please? tried adding a BF4 profile but couldn't see the other wide setting. regards!!

Add the profile, at the bottom it will show AMD CrossFireX Mode, set that to disabled, then right click the profile and click use as system settings. Turn off blur reduction mode if you have it on, restart your PC and then go to the My Digital Flat-Panels properties tab in CCC, tick the freesync box at the bottom and click apply.

It's less obvious in the FPS games I've tried, CSGO for example you really have to look to see it but for any games where there's decent sized objects moving at a fast pace it becomes instantly noticeable for my eyes, especially on FIFA as you have bright colours moving against the green grass. Ghosting is one of those things some people are sensitive to and notice and others don't, so your experience could be different.

I just find it rather strange how every freesync panel reviewed so far has shown it. I didn't notice it at all on my previous BenQ and I didn't even use blur reduction on that.

My Setting
Game Settings
Blur Reduction - Off
Black EQ - Off
Colour Vib - 10
Low Blue Light - Off
Instant Mode - On

Picture Settings
Mode - Standard
Brightness - 100%
Contrast - 40%
Sharpness - 5%
Gamma 5
Color Temp - Normal
AMA - High
Dynamic Contrast - Off

Cheers mate, just updating to the new drivers and will give a few games a wack to see if I can notice it, I only really play fps and mmo's but not happy if I can see it...

Back
Top Bottom