• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***AMD Freesync owners thread***

Mei

Mei

Soldato
anandtech looks the least pointless out of all of them but still pretty bad
guess im hard to please! lol

>back to hots

Associate
Yeah that is what I am thinking too! As mentioned, probably have the more aggressive overdrive setting for the benq.

They really should have checked the settings of the screens and done the same test but without freesync etc. running...

From my understanding, freesync can go as low as 9HZ, the end result just comes down to the monitor manufacturers and the type of panel used.

PCM2 (pcmonitors.info) has stated that the benq freesync range operates between 40-144.

Really glad i went with the BENQ then, 40-144hz is a very good range, if im dipping into that territory i would add an additional card i would have thought

Caporegime
FreeSync technology gets the gold award from TTL and OC3D. :)

It isn't the first system that attempts to fix this problematic issue and, with Adaptive VSync on the horizon it wont be the last, but it does it with aplomb and the more graphical horsepower you have on hand the better the benefits are. To manage to do this without any drop in frame rate is perhaps the single most impressive thing. We're so used to having a frame rate hit when improving image quality we struggle to understand this. After all, AA and AF come with performance hits and to remove tearing you have to cap to the monitor refresh, which loses frames. Especially as VSync comes in massive steps - if you go from 60FPS to 59 the frame rate actually drops to 30. So the Freesync system takes into account these performance changes without leading to a noticeable difference in smoothness to the user.

uoBP6Mw.png

Source
http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/amd_freesync_review/7

Caporegime
Sorry Mei. :p

Performance award from Hardware Heaven.

There are four main modes which are available to us and they are created from the on/off status of FreeSync and VSync. they are:

Free on V on – Smoothest experience, refresh rate limited performance. (E.g. 75Hz on LG, up to 240Hz supported by FreeSync)
Free on V off – Benefits of FreeSync up to refresh rate. Framerate not limited so tearing can occur.
Free off V on – Display limited FPS, no FreeSync benefits.
Free off V off – Maximum FPS, no FreeSync benefits

For those who want the smoothest performance the On/On combination is the way to go. Why would we choose FreeSync On, VSync Off? Thats all about getting access to the lowest possible mouse latency. That said, AMD do note that with On/On latency is typical and not worse than a standard display.

Starting with FreeSync itself, quite simply it works great. Our gaming experience was smooth, we encountered no bugs and no real effort was required to set it up.

AMD FreeSync and LG’s 34UM67 offer an exceptional gaming experience. Smooth, great image quality and a simple setup with the added bonus of competitive pricing.

dOqr6vW.png

Source
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/content/reviews/graphics-cards/54551/amd-freesync-review-lg-34um67

Caporegime
I switch it off on both my BenQ monitors. I see it added more ghosting with it on.

That's incorrect I'm afraid mate, switching it off actually increases G2G response times.

Here is an image with it off: kJBf8oO.jpg

Here's with it set to high: UQyWAjw.jpg

Here's with it set to premium: JW0ZaE7.jpg

As you can see neither is ideal but the high setting has the least noticeable ghosting.

Caporegime
Is there anything stopping Asus supplying a firmware update on the ROG swift to enable freesync?

That panel uses non industry standard timings, unfortunately it does not work well with our graphics cards at all. I think the chances of a firmware update to either address this issue or enable FreeSync are slim to none.

Caporegime
Matt will there be a way for me to test freesync today on my 295x2 by disabling crossfire. Or will it be locked out by detecting the card itself.

Excellent question Adam, i will have to check on this one as I'm honestly not sure. I'll get back to you.

Hi Adam,

I'm afraid there is no way to disable Crossfire on the 295x2 to enable FreeSync as if it were a single gpu, so i don't think it will work I'm afraid.

Caporegime
Incredibly dumb rollout imo, was the same for eyefinity and the same for framepacing, considering amd were saying freesync would be in reviewers hands in september 2014 i can't see why they went the same direction with this.

First you've to wait on the monitor, then you've to wait on the driver, then if you've more than one card you've to wait on another driver....wtf?? Idiotic at best. :confused::(

Back
Top Bottom