AMD FX-4170 Gaming build, Nvida GPU, Watercooling

Soldato
You still could have got a better system with nice ssd's and a monitor for less then your spending now lol...... XD way to go Oliver.

You sure you dont work for Labour? that kind of bad spending woah.

Soldato
You still could have got a better system with nice ssd's and a monitor for less then your spending now lol...... XD way to go Oliver.

294x294px-LL-a0823f7c_Oh-Boy-here-we-go-again.jpeg

Associate
OP

Aha no. I'm hoping to keep this thread going to ask for advise on future buys, e.g. Desk, Screen Mounts, Keyboard Mouse, Audio Equipment.

I am also relying on you guys to give me ideas when designing my desk. Installing Solidworks2012 Tonight. I will pop up a few ideas then will just need improvements.

Thanks so far!

Last edited:
Soldato
ViewSonic VX2336s-LED has a 14ms response time. Thanks for the quick reply though :)

The Dell one looks good, response time slightly higher then what I want but i'm sure it doesn't matter that much for the sake of 3ms. Is 23Inch considered large? (Dirty minded people keep your mouth shut...)

I could easily stretch to £200, just would prefer £160.

In practice the Viewsonic will be fine for gaming and is wall mountable too as it has a VESA 100 mount. It also costs around £120 to £125 too.

Associate
OP
can we have some "keep ollies thread going" tshirts made please, maybe AMD can sponser it as some pr/marketing campaign :D

Well I need advice with other purchases, like monitors and keyboard and mouse, Speakers, Desk materials, maybe printer, custom watercooling loop, etc..

If you would prefer me to create a new thread for each item and clutter up the Hardware Forum then sure, or I will keep this thread going as its a lot easier to centralize everything I'm asking for.

Did you even read the last page or 2 before posting that comment?

Associate
OP
Will Piledriver work with your AM3+ board?

Really hope it's a good cpu series so you have room to upgrade.

Yes, Its based on Piledriver Cores and will be socket AM3+. I am hoping for large improvement over Bulldozer. I know Bulldozer didnt live up to expectations but I am hoping AMD will fix that with Piledriver, making it what Bulldozer should have been, if not give it a year and I'll consider Intel :)

Associate
Yeah, just low threaded apps and games may still struggle due to the low IPC still, but it's not like having an old 2006 hardware so should not be a complete nightmare.

I'd say if piledriver is decent and matches at least sandybridge (gaming wise) then look at sticking with the platform to upgrade when you can/want. If not try and sell and switch to intel.

Associate
Almost as funny as this thread. Oh, but this thread only exists because you waxed shed loads of cash on a **** poor build and only asked for advice after the event. Gfg fella! :cool:

Sorry, forgot to add...on finance too. Good show!

Back
Top Bottom