AMD FX-4170 Gaming build, Nvida GPU, Watercooling

Caporegime
I only have the 7970 DCII owned at the moment.
660Ti will be gone soon enough.
GTX680 was launch day, sold for the 7970 because Nvidia have pathetic active 3D support that isn't their 3D Vision.

Used a 680Sli, also used a 7970 Crossfire.

Had a launch day 7950 which I had sold for the 680, as the 7950's came out horrendously overpriced (Higher priced than what I picked my 680 for)

That's my story for this gens GPU's :p

Associate
This thread was a good read, huge waste of money on numerous parts though. Maybe get your head out of the sand and listen to proper advice next time you wanna build a computer? You seem extremely stubborn and unable to comprehend your HUGE mistake with buying this build?

There's no way to defend your purchase, it is extremely inferior to anything Intel based in terms of gaming, and any multi threaded app Intel would annihilate this build with any of their i5 CPU's. Most games only use 2 cores/threads, therefore an i3 would outperform your CPU in ALL those situations, in 3+ core/threaded games your CPU will be roughly equal to or slightly worse than an i3 on average since it is much faster per core and also has hyper threading. There is literally NO reason to buy any AMD FX4 CPU's at the moment, other than if it was dirt cheap and the FX8's are nearly as rubbish apart from in a few select apps that their 8 threads are useful.

If I was you I would return the order, take the advice like a man and reorder the parts you should have ordered. Major face palm.

This ^^

Wish someone had posted that a few pages back, although this thread has been hilarious I must say!

Soldato
Actually as a Core i3 2100 owner,I did some more research on this after my last comment in this thread. An FX4100 overclocked to around 4.5GHZ should be around ballpark Core i3 2100(not faster) level performance with an HD7970 in SC2 which uses only two threads.

In fact,the OP should have ordered an FX4100 as these are around £70 with the cashback. The FX4170 does have slightly higher native CPU-NB speed though,so perhaps the OP needs to look at that too when overclocking their CPU,as the Phenom II CPUs had decent performance boosts when CPU-NB frequency was increased.

Last edited:
Soldato
I started reading this thread by accident, but then I was like :O

I noticed he said something about SLI in the future - has anyone pointed out to him that would be (another) complete waste of money as his CPU would be utterly bottlenecked?

I'm still a little :O

Associate
this guy also seems to want to give out advice, i think this thread should be posted anytime he does so that people maybe think twice before listening to what he has to say :S, this guy giving out advice on pc parts is like arekgreenman giving advice on building an enviromentaly freindly pc.....

Associate
OP
What like asking what cooler he needs for a massive overclock to make his PC greener? :D

What? Are you referring to something arekgreenman done?

I am smart enough to know that no matter what cooler you use it will not reduce the power used by your CPU. Though saying that if you used a crap one then it would thermal throttle causing it to down-clock and use less power, but that is obviously not a suitable answer to that question.

For someone that stupid you could just tell them to have no cooler so it burns out and dies so it will no longer use any power, but again not a suitable answer.

Associate
OP
On a side note, I am now looking in to buying a medium/large monitor as using the HD TV as a temp monitor is already doing my head in. Great for gaming due to the size, but terrible for reading anything, constantly zooming in to pages.

Budget of £160. at least 1920x1080, no built in speakers, Wall mountable as it will be going on a stand with another monitor of the same model in the future.

I have just found out that a member of the family has been accepted for a mortgage so they will be moving out, allowing me and my girlfriend to use there room as a bedroom and knock a hole in the wall to put a door into ours, then use ours as a living room with a large corner desk with multiple monitor setup. We already have a Sofa in our bedroom and a large tv, so moving the double bed out will mean my space for a desk almost triples.

I will be getting the desk custom made with underhanging channels for cable management.

Hopefully going to be making a 3D Model of our room tonight/tomorrow to give everyone an idea. I will also model all furniture in the room.

Thanks in advance.

And yes for once I am going completely on peoples opinions. I haven't bought a monitor and then asked, I haven't even looked for a monitor.

Requirements:
- 1920x1080 or above.
- Wall Mountable.
- Black Gloss/Matt finish.
- Fairly high contrast ratio.
- 5-2ms response time.
- DVI Input (obviously)

Impress me!

Last edited:
Soldato
On a side note, I am now looking in to buying a medium/large monitor as using the HD TV as a temp monitor is already doing my head in. Great for gaming due to the size, but terrible for reading anything, constantly zooming in to pages.

Budget of £160. at least 1940x1080, no built in speakers, Wall mountable as it will be going on a stand with another monitor of the same model in the future.

I have just found out that a member of the family has been accepted for a mortgage so they will be moving out, allowing me and my girlfriend to use there room as a bedroom and knock a hole in the wall to put a door into ours, then use ours as a living room with a large corner desk with multiple monitor setup. We already have a Sofa in our bedroom and a large tv, so moving the double bed out will mean my space for a desk almost triples.

I will be getting the desk custom made with underhanging channels for cable management.

Hopefully going to be making a 3D Model of our room tonight/tomorrow to give everyone an idea. I will also model all furniture in the room.

Thanks in advance.

And yes for once I am going completely on peoples opinions. I bought a monitor and then asked, I haven't looked for a monitor.

Requirements:
- 1940x1080 or above.
- Wall Mountable.
- Black Gloss/Matt finish.
- Fairly high contrast ratio.
- 5-2ms response time.
- DVI Input (obviously)

Impress me!

I think you will struggle to find a 1940x1080 screen. However, I can find you a 1920x1080 screen. :p

Anything that has a VESA mount should be wall mountable IIRC.

Associate
OP
The ViewSonic VX2336s-LED can be had for under £150 and gets great reviews. It uses an IPS panel. Alternatively,have a look at the Dell U2312HM which is around £180 to £190 AFAIK.

ViewSonic VX2336s-LED has a 14ms response time. Thanks for the quick reply though :)

The Dell one looks good, response time slightly higher then what I want but i'm sure it doesn't matter that much for the sake of 3ms. Is 23Inch considered large? (Dirty minded people keep your mouth shut...)

I could easily stretch to £200, just would prefer £160.

Soldato
ViewSonic VX2336s-LED has a 14ms response time. Thanks for the quick reply though :)

The Dell one looks good, response time slightly higher then what I want but i'm sure it doesn't matter that much for the sake of 3ms. Is 23Inch considered large? (Dirty minded people keep your mouth shut...)

I could easily stretch to £200, just would prefer £160.

Take the IPS panel, you will not regret it.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/advancedcontent.htm#problems with overdrive

Associate
OP
Soldato
I don't know, I love the look of the Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 24 inch IPS Widescreen LED Monitor, I know its over budget but I could stretch.

Call me picky but i do not like the curved bottom on that ViewSonic monitor, I much prefer the shape of the Dell monitor.

Thanks for the link though, very informative :)

Get the U2312HM if you want a cheapish Dell screen. The U2412M is actually 16:10 with a resolution of 1920x1200 which will show black bars when you are playing back HD content.

The TFT Central website is run by a former Don called Baddass. He's been doing this for a very long time. ;)

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17772691

Back
Top Bottom