• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD GO WILD: VEGA 56 THE TRUE DEAL OF THE CENTURY AND IT JUST GOT BETTER!!!

Associate
lol fortinet <> fortnite. Fortinet are one of the fastest growing tech companies in the last decade and provide firewall solutions, switches and networking gear. Some really nice stuff to be fair, I run some of their more consumer driven kit at home and more beefy appliances in a couple of offices and i've been really impressed with just how good they are.

Honestly wish I'd heard of them, but not Fortnite. :D

Soldato
AMD clearly dropped the prices to rain on NVidia's 1660TI parade. Any card that launches "underpowered" compared to existing competition gains a stigma which is hard to shake. The 1660TI will be remembered by many as too-expensive and too-slow, even if AMD's price-cuts (and V56 stocks) only last for a few weeks. The damage has already been done. Many people who would otherwise have purchased a 1660TI grabbed a V56 instead. Not many are singing the TI's praises but not many have bought one.

Associate
Brought the vega pulse deal the other day, great deal and very happy with it.

Question, how long does it take to get the game codes? Obviously two haven't even been released yet, but itching to play resident evil 2.

Obviously ive gone to AMD rewards and entered the code i got and the last contact i had was Saturday with them sending me and email "Congratulations on reserving Resident Evil™ 2! We will update your account and notify you as soon as the content key is available."

Last edited:
Soldato
Just saw that rant over at "UFDtech", the site based in South Africa, going on about how its not on that AMD dropped the Vega 56 prices, and how underhand it was, and how all the 56 cards have been sold, funny as I'm still seeing MSI and sapphire cards in stock, no probs.
Well, one for the oldies here, anyone remember when ATI released the 8500 card in about 2001? Just after release of the 8500, Nvidia released a set of "detonator" drivers to give a substantial increase in performance for the equivalent Nvidia card (I can't remember what the card was but I had one at the time) and the performance went up by about 10%-15% just by using these new drivers. This resulted in Nvidia raining on ATI's parade somewhat.
To Me, what AMD have done is a form of one upmanship and is fine by Me. I know its a long time ago but I remember thinking I had an Nvidia card with slightly castrated performance just so Nvidia could get one over ATI.

Soldato
I remember those Detonator drivers. I think that I had a Gerforce TI4200 at the time and those drivers gave a huge boost across the range. The drivers did however cause some cards to artifact badly at stock clocks, and some had to downclock their overclocks to run them. NVidia's rain was a little short-lived though. Soon afterwards, ATI got the sunshine out with their best card ever - the 9700PRO.

What we should also consider is margin. AMD are probably making very small margin out of VEGA 56's at ~£250-£280. I am sure the Nano PCB's cut costs a little, but the 1660TI must be a FAR cheaper card to produce (smaller die, less vram, narrower memory bus, simpler-pcb). NVidia can easily cut the price and still make money, but that would cause a domino-affect on their higher-tier models. Who would buy a £330 RTX 2060 etc.. if 1660TI's dropped to early £200's?

Associate
Brought the vega pulse deal the other day, great deal and very happy with it.

Question, how long does it take to get the game codes? Obviously two haven't even been released yet, but itching to play resident evil 2.

Obviously ive gone to AMD rewards and entered the code i got and the last contact i had was Saturday with them sending me and email "Congratulations on reserving Resident Evil™ 2! We will update your account and notify you as soon as the content key is available."

If you login to AMD rewards it should give you your code. i had to wait until the release, i received an email and had to log into steam to which it automatically put it into my steam library.

Associate
If you login to AMD rewards it should give you your code. i had to wait until the release, i received an email and had to log into steam to which it automatically put it into my steam library.

Cheers. Ive had a look on rewards site and looked at my rewards, no code for any of the games, says the same it said in the email i got. "Wait for code" basically.

Associate
Just saw that rant over at "UFDtech", the site based in South Africa, going on about how its not on that AMD dropped the Vega 56 prices, and how underhand it was, and how all the 56 cards have been sold, funny as I'm still seeing MSI and sapphire cards in stock, no probs.
Well, one for the oldies here, anyone remember when ATI released the 8500 card in about 2001? Just after release of the 8500, Nvidia released a set of "detonator" drivers to give a substantial increase in performance for the equivalent Nvidia card (I can't remember what the card was but I had one at the time) and the performance went up by about 10%-15% just by using these new drivers. This resulted in Nvidia raining on ATI's parade somewhat.
To Me, what AMD have done is a form of one upmanship and is fine by Me. I know its a long time ago but I remember thinking I had an Nvidia card with slightly castrated performance just so Nvidia could get one over ATI.

I find it strange that some people are annoyed about this, as if they work for Nvidia, or have some financial stake in the company or its products!

At the end of the day, we are all consumers, and we should not ally ourselves with any one particular company, as this encourages bad practices from said company. Preference is fine, we all have one, but when you become emotionally invested in a corporation something is very wrong.

Permabanned
I remember those Detonator drivers. I think that I had a Gerforce TI4200 at the time and those drivers gave a huge boost across the range. The drivers did however cause some cards to artifact badly at stock clocks, and some had to downclock their overclocks to run them. NVidia's rain was a little short-lived though. Soon afterwards, ATI got the sunshine out with their best card ever - the 9700PRO.

Even then, they lied with their observations. Who is nvidia? :eek:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/970/16

Associate
What we should also consider is margin. AMD are probably making very small margin out of VEGA 56's at ~£250-£280. I am sure the Nano PCB's cut costs a little, but the 1660TI must be a FAR cheaper card to produce (smaller die, less vram, narrower memory bus, simpler-pcb). NVidia can easily cut the price and still make money, but that would cause a domino-affect on their higher-tier models. Who would buy a £330 RTX 2060 etc.. if 1660TI's dropped to early £200's?
The hbm2 ram alone for the v56 costs about $160 I think.
AMD is likely subsidising the cards, rather than having a margin on them.
They're cracking value at this price.

Associate
Its detracting from the point that why is nvidia releasing shed loads of x060 cards milking the market? There does not need to be so many variations and just give a better stepping of cards in the first place.

I suspect they're trying to bury the opposition under new release after release. The thing is, offering too much actually puts people off, so it's not always a successful tactic.

Soldato
For anyone awaiting their game codes, I received the following response from AMD Support.

Hello,

There is a slight delay in fulfilling your redemption due to high demand. Your redemption for games will be fulfilled as soon as possible.

We apologize for the delay and appreciate your understanding.

Regards
AMD Rewards Support

Soldato
For anyone awaiting their game codes, I received the following response from AMD Support.

Hello,

There is a slight delay in fulfilling your redemption due to high demand. Your redemption for games will be fulfilled as soon as possible.

We apologize for the delay and appreciate your understanding.

Regards
AMD Rewards Support

Just finished downloading res evil from amd this morning, and that was queued as well.

OcUK Staff
OP
We’re selling 100+ Vega per day and that just OcUK so it’s fair to say demand for AMD has exploded.

Last year demand was crazy due to mining.
This year demand is crazy due to gaming. :)

Associate
We’re selling 100+ Vega per day and that just OcUK so it’s fair to say demand for AMD has exploded.

Last year demand was crazy due to mining.
This year demand is crazy due to gaming. :)

Does that also include AMD cards selling for full retail? I can certainly see how the recent sale prices helped shift them, a Vega 56 for less than £250 is a steal!

Back
Top Bottom