• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD GPU sales tanking

Caporegime
Q4 2023 saw $1.4 billion in "gaming revenue" this was down 17% on Q4 2022 due to semi-custom (Consoles) but offset by higher Radeon sales.

Q1 2024 saw $950 million in gaming revenue, due to "Lower Radeon sales"

After being on the market for 18 months the RX 7600/XT, RX 7700 XT, RX 7800 XT, RX 7900 GRE, RX 7900 XT still haven't made it on to the Steam Hardware survey listing.

Ok, go to almost any mainstream review outlet, what they all say is the same thing, IF you're buying AMD buy RDNA 2 GPU's instead of RDNA 3, because for example an RX 6800 XT is $40 cheaper than an RX 7800 XT and there is no difference between them, the latter there is a lie, the RX 7800 XT is faster, more efficient, has much better RT capabilities, it has AV1, it has dedicated AI, i can run Stable Diffusion XL (IE CUDA) with ROCm. With my RX 7800 XT, i can't do that with an RX 6800 XT because it doesn't have ML.
WTF? why would i pay £30 less for a slower inferior GPU? Are these people just stupid or do they have an agenda?

Now all the RDNA 2 GPU are drying up, and people looking are being told RDNA 3 isn't worth buying, hence the aforementioned.

There are reviewers out there lamenting RDNA 2 drying up "oh no, what are we going to recommend now? This is a disaster"

_____ me!

Last edited:
Soldato
The success of their CPUs shows that if they consistently produce a product that is attractive enough compared to the competition's offerings people will buy it.
Unfortunately they lack ambition to employ an early ryzen like strategy in the GPU division and just seem content with slightly undercutting Nvidia no matter how ridiculously Nvidia price their GPUs which in turn just makes AMD cards look like a joke at release.

Soldato
Since they bought ATI all AMD have wanted to do was make a success of it, they did that for far longer than was practical or even sane from a business point of view, and now its over.
AMD just had the opportunity of a lifetime to take a chunk of market share off Nvidia with the RTX 40 series dumb pricing but they blew it.

All they had to do was follow the RDNA2 pricing / naming model. Instead they got greedy and thought people would overpay for their cards as well despite not having the mindshare.

Caporegime
AMD just had the opportunity of a lifetime to take a chunk of market share off Nvidia with the RTX 40 series dumb pricing but they blew it.

All they had to do was follow the RDNA2 pricing / naming model. Instead they got greedy and thought people would overpay for their cards as well despite not having the mindshare.

If greed is knowing that selling a product for 10% margins means you have to sell 2X as many of those products as you do with 20% margins just to break even and the chances of one achieving that are nil then yes AMD are greedy.

But this does not make AMD foolish, it makes people angry because its doesn't stop Nvidia's pricing from spiraling out of control, that however is a you problem.

Last edited:
Soldato
If greed is knowing that selling a product for 10% margins means you have to sell 2X as many of those products as you do with 20% margins just to break even and the chances of one achieving that are nil then yes AMD are greedy.
Do we know AMD's margins on discrete GPUs?

Soldato
Ok, go to almost any mainstream review outlet, what they all say is the same thing, IF you're buying AMD buy RDNA 2 GPU's instead of RDNA 3, because for example an RX 6800 XT is $40 cheaper than an RX 7800 XT and there is no difference between them, the latter there is a lie, the RX 7800 XT is faster, more efficient, has much better RT capabilities, it has AV1, it has dedicated AI, i can run Stable Diffusion XL (IE CUDA) with ROCm. With my RX 7800 XT, i can't do that with an RX 6800 XT because it doesn't have ML.
WTF? why would i pay £30 less for a slower inferior GPU? Are these people just stupid or do they have an agenda?

For people that only game a lot of this is irrelevant, and for those that do the improved RT performance hardly matters given the same outlets and most of social media frequently say Nvidia is the way to go for RT.

I regularly recommend older AMD GPU's, but the reason being is that you can get a 6750XT for £300 and a 6800 for £370, there's literally nothing else in that bracket worth taking from either vendor otherwise. Half of the issues AMD has is poor marketing and outreach, it managed to climb that ladder with it's CPU's so why is it struggling in the GPU department? AMD GPU's absolutely have very distinct advantages in a number of scenarios, but they fail to sell those aspects -- CoD is huge for example and massively favours AMD. Why not broker a deal with streamers and the studio, go on a mass advertising campaign regarding it? It's not the only example where AMD absolutely has a huge advantage in raw gaming performance, and frankly a number of games that tank with RT on don't even use it in an appreciable way, yet it's never addressed.

I've owned more ATI/AMD GPU's over the years than Nvidia, but the fact they're becoming a hard sell is largely on them imo.

Man of Honour
OP

But this does not make AMD foolish, it makes people angry because its doesn't stop Nvidia's pricing from spiraling out of control, that however is a you problem.
i dunno mate, i think what radeon desperately needs is marketshare and mindshare, if that means taking less % profit per gpu sold, then so be it...just as amd did for ryzen 1000/2000 series

Soldato

This true and they eventually wised up too late IMHO. Strangely though AMDs discrete GPU market share did increase.

Caporegime
i dunno mate, i think what radeon desperately needs is marketshare and mindshare, if that means taking less % profit per gpu sold, then so be it...just as amd did for ryzen 1000/2000 series

I don't blame Nvidia at all they are not acting in any way that is morally or legally reprehensible, its just impressive is what it is.

I've said this so many time now but i'm going to keep saying it until it sinks in, ATI tried to combat Nvidia by spending big on R&D and then taking the hit on retail pricing by under cutting Nvidia.

You know what Nvidia did in response? Nothing, they didn't even engage in a price war, Nvidia sat on their hands and waited for ATI to run out of money, sure enough ATI went bust.

People have such fond memory's of ATI, its why veterans have a hate for AMD, they think AMD bought them and then ruined them, ATI ruined themselves, AMD bailed them out.

Oh... ATI made such good GPU's at such low prices.... right! But you still bought Nvidia!

Now we have a situation where people think DLSS is worth more than raw performance.

Man of Honour
OP
Oh... ATI made such good GPU's at such low prices.... right! But you still bought Nvidia!

not old enough to have bought a gpu at the time, but for what it's worth, convinced my dad to buy a radeon 9700 :cry:

It always ultimately falls back on us, whatever AMD do it means nothing if we don't buy them, and we don't.
is there a compelling reason to buy radeon compared to nvidia?

Soldato
I'm personally at a point where I own Nvidia cards because they're more suitable for my needs. I think the focus on hardware being the fault in terms of upscaling tech needs to be balanced against the dog poo engine standards we have with the likes of UE. FSR is frankly awful currently.

It's meaningless either way unless AMD hire a competent marketing team for their GPU department. Hell, I remember people crapping on the 7000 series a decade ago even after AMD released a huge overhaul that placed them ahead of Nvidia in every respect for less money. They relied entirely on enthusiast websites like Guru3D, GN etc to tell that story with almost zero marketing investment, nothing has changed to this day.

Last edited:
Caporegime
is there a compelling reason to buy radeon compared to nvidia?

To me there is, right now, i did. But i'm in the extreme minority.
---------------

The Ryzen 1700X was $400 in 2017.
The Core i5 8600K was $260 in 2017 and much better at gaming, it also scored near as high in Cinebench.

The Ryzen 3700X was $330 in 2019
The Core i5 9600K was $270 in 2018 and still better in games

And yet with those products AMD had taken huge chunks of Intel's market share, the Idea that AMD was successful with Ryzen was because they were better and cheaper than Intel is a myth.

Last edited:
Soldato
To me there is, right now, i did. But i'm in the extreme minority.
---------------

The Ryzen 1700X was $399 in 2017.
The Core i5 8600K was $260 in 2017 and much better at gaming, it also scored near as high in Cinebench.

The Ryzen 3700X was $330 in 2019
The Core i5 9600K was $270 in 2018 and still better in games

And yet with those products AMD had taken huge chunks of Intel's market share, the Idea that AMD was successful with Ryzen was because they were better and cheaper than Intel is a myth.

I think you're comparing a little unfairly here, the 1700x was an 8c16t CPU and more of a competitor to i7 chips.

People are far more likely to buy a CPU for general use than a GPU.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom