• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD GPU sales tanking

Soldato
When talking about OEM's no one wants AMD's add-in GPU's, but they do want AMD's APU's, they like those, so make them an APU so powerful it doesn't need an add-in GPU even if you're talking about a gaming laptop.
Problem is DDR's bandwidth lands in the range of 50-60 GB/s whereas GDDR is in the 450 GB/s (afaik/iirc) so an APU so powerful it doesn't need an add-in GPU is always going to be hamstrug unless the APU comes with gobs of onboard memory.

Soldato
Slightly off topic but..

Im still honestly amazed at what people are willing to pay for partially damaged graphics cards that could potentially completely fail down the line. There’s one on ebay right now for a 7900xtx going for £600 and thats not the final bid yet. Baring in mind you can buy used and in working condition for a tad more.

Wonder what drives them to do this.

Last edited:
Soldato
Slightly off topic but..

Im still honestly amazed at what people are willing to pay for partially damaged graphics cards that could potentially completely fail down the line. There’s one on ebay right now for a 7900xtx going for £600 and thats not the final bid yet. Baring in mind you can buy used and in working condition for a tad more.

Wonder what drives them to do this.
Stupidly.as for some reason they don't mind paying higher prices on the eBay.
Never understood it myself

Soldato
People like to think they got a bargain. They also hate to lose.

Paradoxically you see people who don’t want to lose who then bid more than they wanted to and pay what is objectively poor value for a used item.

When buying on eBay I look for items that are attractively priced buy it now and offers accepted. I hate the whole auction process.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Problem is DDR's bandwidth lands in the range of 50-60 GB/s whereas GDDR is in the 450 GB/s (afaik/iirc) so an APU so powerful it doesn't need an add-in GPU is always going to be hamstrug unless the APU comes with gobs of onboard memory.

You're actually right, sort of.

LPDDR5X-8533 is 34.125 GB/s per 32 Bit, this is per memory IC, so on a 256 Bit bus, 8 memory IC's it comes to 273 GB/s.

Last edited:
Soldato
uk was called treasure island because global companies could get away with with charging higher prices compared to Europe, the practice(accusation) was going on for for decades, iirc the creation of single market was supposed to sort it, but took an age. not a Brexit thing or illegal immigration thing. :p :)

When I worked in multiple EU countries the company I worked for called the UK "Ripoff Britain" and having moved back now for a few years I can understand why, We are also decades behind when it comes to general living standards compared to the rest of Europe, It's pretty shameful and you don't realize how badly off the average working person of the UK has it until you work elsewhere.

Soldato
LPDDR5X-8533 is 34.125 GB/s per 32 Bit
No, a single LPDDR5X chips bandwidth is 8533 Mbps (small b = bit) 8.0 GB/s (large B = bytes).
No wait..... its Dual Date Rate "DDR" 546 GB/s.

Your CPU is 64 Bit (68.5 GB/s) dual rate 137 GB/s

Vs 256 Bit at dual rate, 546 GB/s.
You're conflating per die/module bandwidth with the sticks bandwidth, seemingly with the instruction set used by the CPU.

Last edited:
Soldato
That would amount to about 60 GB/s, about the same as my 3200 DDR4 on the CPU.
Doesn't matter what it equates to because it's still at least 10x less bandwidth than GDDR.

GDDR-Graph-2.jpg

(Source)

DDR-comparison-graph-between-FPGA-card_v3.svg

(Source)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom