• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD GPU sales tanking

Associate
May I add a somewhat offshoot to this, because sales tanking is not just a AMD thing.

Apples new Ipads are actually decently priced for what they are, even the new M2 Ipad air saw a base model reduction from last one, its £599.

Seems like even Apple anticipates that holding high prices or new products, higher price doesn't work.

Even the new oled Ipad pros aren't obscene from last generation.

Other than Nvidia and logitech and you can bet Samsung will still try it as well, but other brands must surely see the writing on the wall that they can't price stuff high anymore.

Lets hope the industry reconsiders a price correction for products, really this is the main reason sales are tanking.

Associate
May I add a somewhat offshoot to this, because sales tanking is not just a AMD thing.

Apples new Ipads are actually decently priced for what they are, even the new M2 Ipad air saw a base model reduction from last one, its £599.

Seems like even Apple anticipates that holding high prices or new products, higher price doesn't work.

Even the new oled Ipad pros aren't obscene from last generation.

Other than Nvidia and logitech and you can bet Samsung will still try it as well, but other brands must surely see the writing on the wall that they can't price stuff high anymore.

Lets hope the industry reconsiders a price correction for products, really this is the main reason sales are tanking.

Hope your prophecy turns to reality :p

Associate
"AMD consumer graphics is low margin and in terminal decline"

There's no real substance in that article,

However it isn't surprising sales are down. GPU prices are still too high albeit getting better, there is an obscene amount of people that are still using a Nvidia 10xx series GPU and due to price people aren't bothering to upgrade.

Also the sales of Xbox and ps5 have started to level out/drop off, due to where they are in their generation life cycle, and both Sony and Microsoft have screwed themselves over with the lack of releases and independent content

Soldato
Not surprised but people stick to what they know, I guess it could end up like Intel back in the P3 days with Nvidia no compilation and no incentive to lower prices or innovate. Shame my last 2 gpus have been AMD and I prefer them.

Suspended
The last thing we need in any capacity is a monopoly. I don't care if it's AMD, Nvidia or Intel that drops out, more is better.

It's why I will never understand people who mindlessly support any one company.

We already have a monopoly, there isn't anything that AMD or Intel can do to realistically combat Nvidia.

People say "Make your GPU's better and cheaper" You know Nvidia might have spent $2 billion on making DLSS as good as it is, with 80% market share and 50% margins they will make that back in a year, now lets say AMD spend $2 billion on making FSR as good as DLSS, will that move the needle enough for AMD to make that back in a year? or 2 years or 3 years?

No.... we want them cheaper don't forget.

Last edited:
Soldato
We already have a monopoly, there isn't anything that AMD or Intel can do to realistically combat Nvidia.

People say "Make your GPU's better and cheaper" You know Nvidia might have spent $2 billion on making DLSS as good as it is, with 80% market share and 50% margins will make that back in a year, now lets say AMD spend $2 billion on making FSR as good as DLSS, will that move the needle enough for AMD to make that back in a year? or 2 years or 3 years?

No....
Maybe that's the hit they have to take if they want to compete?
Can't blame Nvidia for investing, improving and making profits, that's what a business is supposed to do.
You can't blame customers for buying what they think is best.

The people responsible for making AMD more successful are AMD. Can't blame Nvidia or customers for not helping them (I'm not saying you were).

The success of their CPUs shows that if they consistently produce a product that is attractive enough compared to the competition's offerings people will buy it.

Reactions: TNA
Suspended
Can't blame Nvidia for investing, improving and making profits, that's what a business is supposed to do.

The people responsible for making AMD more successful are AMD. Can't blame Nvidia or customers for not helping them (I'm not saying you were).

The success of their CPUs shows that if they consistently produce a product that is attractive enough compared to the competition's offerings people will buy it.

I don't blame Nvidia at all they are not acting in any way that is morally or legally reprehensible, its just impressive is what it is.

I've said this so many time now but i'm going to keep saying it until it sinks in, ATI tried to combat Nvidia by spending big on R&D and then taking the hit on retail pricing by under cutting Nvidia.

You know what Nvidia did in response? Nothing, they didn't even engage in a price war, Nvidia sat on their hands and waited for ATI to run out of money, sure enough ATI went bust.

People have such fond memory's of ATI, its why veterans have a hate for AMD, they think AMD bought them and then ruined them, ATI ruined themselves, AMD bailed them out.

Oh... ATI made such good GPU's at such low prices.... right! But you still bought Nvidia!

Now we have a situation where people think DLSS is worth more than raw performance.

Last edited:
Soldato

They tried that as ATI and then again with early AMD GPU releases and it failed. Much cheaper GPUs that were slower but competitive with Nvidia and gained market share but with very low margins.

All it proved was that people think AMD are a budget brand and they only want AMD to compete just so they can get the Nvidia GPU cheaper.

That article read like an Nvidia fanboy simply lamenting that AMD were much worse than Nvidia for “features, so no wonder they are failing”.

Last edited:
Suspended
There is a reason for all these "AMD have admitted defeat" articles, they have had a change in mindset, they have surrendered the dGPU market to Nvidia, they still have a low market share percentage in notebook, its a hugely profitable market, its worth 10's of billions per year and right now AMD don't even have $2 billion of that share, Intel have the rest, its all Intel have left, AMD know they can take it from them and they will.

Nvidia are a distraction.

Soldato
There is a reason for all these "AMD have admitted defeat" articles, they have had a change in mindset, they have surrendered the dGPU market to Nvidia, they still have a low market share percentage in notebook, its a hugely profitable market, its worth 10's of billions per year and right now AMD don't even have $2 billion of that share, Intel have the rest, its all Intel have left, AMD know they can take it from them and they will.

I really hope you're wrong. The only people that will suffer from any one of these companies leaving any market they're in is the consumer.

Soldato

That seems like a bad thing too, then there will be less competition in that space. Again it'll be us that suffer.

Suspended
It is a bad thing and i do hope i'm wrong, but look at their actions, all talk of Radeon has stopped, RDNA4 is like an after thought, all they talk about now is AI and APU's, and look at those APU's they are amazing, that's where the R&D has gone.

Since they bought ATI all AMD have wanted to do was make a success of it, they did that for far longer than was practical or even sane from a business point of view, and now its over.

Associate
I really hope you're wrong. The only people that will suffer from any one of these companies leaving any market they're in is the consumer.
I didn't believe the are leaving the market.

I'm gonna assume hard here is, they were waiting on the return of people spending again.

There's no point in theory to release something that there isn't a buying demographic at the moment.

Bare in mind this is true for a lot of stuff.

Even Nvidia consumer segment isn't selling as much as you think either.

Not too mention how reduced handheld are, the rog ally is far cheaper then any gaming laptop in a more attractive form Factor. Stuff like that actually makes people 2nd guess paying a time of money on a GPU.

Back
Top Bottom