• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD GPU sales tanking

:cry:

Would have been tempted but for the moment I am locked to team green for the forseeable until amd catch up, at the time and still applies:

- FSR is and arguably still is abysmal (especially since I game more often at 3440x1440)
- lack of RT grunt (7900xt/x isn't an upgrade over a 3080 in RT :o)
- not being able to play RTX remix titles without artifacting or/and just awful perf.
- no reflex or dldsr competitor

And now we have RTX HDR & ray reconstruction, which is too good to lose.

Yeah I agree now it would take a lot more than price to make you go back.

But if by the 9000 series they get dedicated hardware for FSR and catch up to DLSS, have good enough RT and stop with the we are premium bull crap then maybe they can temp you over :p

I know I could be tempted if they do the above. But yeah, I like what is happening with RTX Remix, but could always just play those games again in a future green upgrade.

Last edited:
Yeah I agree now it would take a lot more than price to make you go back.

But if by the 9000 series they get dedicated hardware for FSR and catch up to DLSS, have good enough RT and stop with the we are premium bull crap the maybe they can temp you over :p

I know I could be tempted if they do the above. But yeah, I like what is happening with RTX Remix, but could always just play those games again in a future green upgrade.

See that's the problem, by the time amd do come out with a proper dlss competitor and RT hardware/grunt, they still have nothing to compete in those other areas I and others would care about, also, for all we know, nvidia will probably improve their stuff even further and be another 1-2 gens ahead or/and release new tech to the RTX feature set.

Also, whilst FSR 3.1 "might" get it on par with the current dlss version, the big problem is that older games most likely aren't going to get this, I don't replay games much but it is definetly a factor. Suspect the modding community might be able to hack/inject it in though, time will tell....

Reactions: TNA
See that's the problem, by the time amd do come out with a proper dlss competitor and RT hardware/grunt, they still have nothing to compete in those other areas I and others would care about, also, for all we know, nvidia will probably improve their stuff even further and be another 1-2 gens ahead or/and release new tech to the RTX feature set.

Also, whilst FSR 3.1 "might" get it on par with the current dlss version, the big problem is that older games most likely aren't going to get this, I don't replay games much but it is definetly a factor. Suspect the modding community might be able to hack/inject it in though, time will tell....

As you know I do like going back and replaying games. I think there are so many I want to replay at this point I can skip a whole gen of gpu and do that if I wanted.

Let's see what Jensen will want for his 5070. If it is stupid I might do just that. At the rate I am going just completing Baldurs Gate 3 will take me until the new cards are out :cry:

Essentially what needs to happen is Nvidia need to **** up big time or/and slow right down with their advancements i.e. like what intel did. I can't see this happening with Nvidia though unless AMD do somewhat drop out from the high end.

Essentially what needs to happen is Nvidia need to **** up big time or/and slow right down with their advancements i.e. like what intel did. I can't see this happening with Nvidia though unless AMD do somewhat drop out from the high end.

Nvidia aren't really advancing at a supernatural pace IMO, Pretty expected with the amount they spend on R&D. It's just that AMD are spread too thin over too many product stacks where as everything Nvidia do kind of revolves around the GPU which can be used in other areas i.e AI etc...

I genuinely think AMD need a bit of an internal reshuffle and give the Radeon division a little bit more funding.

Last edited:
Nvidia aren't really advancing at a supernatural pace IMO, Pretty expected with the amount they spend on R&D. It's just that AMD are spread too thin over too many product stacks where as everything Nvidia do kind of revolves around the GPU which can be used in other areas i.e AI etc...

I genuinely think AMD need a bit of an internal reshuffle and give the Radeon division a little bit more funding.

Yup that's true, this is very evident in their live shows/reveals, for nvidia their gaming/dgpu were much longer and very much focused on "gaming" where as with amd, dgpu/gaming was lucky to get more than 5 minutes of air time, this really stood out to me with rdna 2 and then rdna 3.

Nvidia compared to their competition at the moment, are advancing far more than ever before imo (largely thanks to AI methods). I was amd right from the 3850 up until vega 56 as didn't feel nvidia were worth it (gsync at the start was though and arguably physx but problem with physx was, it was in hardly any games), turing wasn't for me either since dlss 1 and RT was utter **** but the real change has come with ampere and only grown substantially imo, personally I think we're only going to see this gap widen further going forward unless somehow amd can pull of a miracle but obviously as you said, they need to divert some resources to the dgpu space but problem is, amd don't really care that much about this as they have far more lucrative divisions to focus on.

As it is, I'm not overly bothered that much on hardware advancements (still important obviously but think we are somewhat at the point of diminishing returns) but more so software and features now given how much this has advanced with unreal engine 5, ray/path tracing and so on.

Nvidia aren't really advancing at a supernatural pace IMO
At the low end Nvidia have been terrible, a 4060 is only 38% faster than a 5 year old 2060, AMD should be cleaning up here yet AMDs competitor card the 7600 is only 37% faster than a 2060 so it looks like AMD again is happy just to match Nvidia with a slight price cut rather than putting out a much better product which they are very capable of in this segment.

Last edited:

They would have to take it away from more profitable 'growing' segments and with that put those at risk, to do that would be stupid, they aren't going to do that.

Last edited:
they aren't going to do that.
Agreed, people must think that AMD have unlimited allocation they always forget!! :D

Radeon comes last on a fairly long list atm and you can't blame them for prioritising more profitable lines!! I think if AMD can maintain a 20%-ish market share in discrete cards I think that will suit them atm.

Agreed, people must think that AMD have unlimited allocation they always forget!! :D

Radeon comes last on a fairly long list atm and you can't blame them for prioritising more profitable lines!! I think if AMD can maintain a 20%-ish market share in discrete cards I think that will suit them atm.

Is that a typo? The strategy they are employing right now it will be closer to 2% than 20% :cry:

RDNA 4 will do well or flop based on pricing.

RDNA 5 could be great or flop, we don't have enough info, but it does sound promising.

Yeah, its a sunk cost fallacy, dumping more and more money in to radeon isn't going to move the needle anything like enough when you have an 800 pound gorilla in the room with you giving you the side eye.

Nvidia are not Intel, i'm sorry to harp on about that but people who keep using that as an example as to why AMD can do it if they just try, AMD have tried, for decades, Nvidia don't _____ up, when Nvidia out spend AMD they get amazing results. Nvidia No: 1

So what is being said is Nvidia don't **** up.

Well maybe that is why people keep buy nvidia cards then eh? Even they are clearly taking the biscuit with pricing :cry:

RDNA4 just a bug-fix gen so it's rumoured, with 5 they have to come out of the gate roaring for sure and compete on price strongly til then!!

Thing is we have been hearing this kind of thing for years now, poor volta, overclockers dream and so on and so on, every gen supposedly amd are going to destroy nvidia and they just don't.

• Haha
Thing is we have been hearing this kind of thing for years now, poor volta, overclockers dream and so on and so on, every gen supposedly amd are going to destroy nvidia and they just don't.

All they manage to do is destroy their market share unfortunately. That's why I gave up hope. When it happens it happens. If in indeed it ever does.

Not surprised. 6700xt was one of my worst gpu experiences, with constant downclocking and stuttering. I was an AMD guy up until that, but just ditched it and moved to Nvidia , much better experience for not much more.

Not surprised. 6700xt was one of my worst gpu experiences, with constant downclocking and stuttering. I was an AMD guy up until that, but just ditched it and moved to Nvidia , much better experience for not much more.
That's pretty interesting cause my 6700XT was one of the best experiences I've had in a long time across both Nvidia and AMD. It replaced an RTX 3070 which I hated with a passion.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom