• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD GPU sales tanking

Caporegime
All that shows is Nvidia is the same with their value for money dropping like a stone but they are the market leader and can afford to put customers off.
I think that's the first time i have seen you make that concession, well done. :) I might be pushing my luck now but i'll give it a go....

If a 3070 Ti is a perfectly usable RT card then so is the RX 7800 XT.

hfdCMAR.png

Last edited:
Soldato
I think that's the first time i have seen you make that concession, well done. :) I might be pushing my luck now but i'll give it a go....

If a 3070 Ti is a perfectly usable RT card then so is the RX 7800 XT.

hfdCMAR.png
A 3070ti just about scrapes RT though and that’s with DLSS, DLSS is the tech though that really adds the extra value to Nvidia.

If AMD could match DLSS then maybe they could get away with pricing closer to Nvidia but until that time they almost need to price the cards at raster level equivalent performance to an Nvidia card running DLSS quality.

Caporegime
I think they are priced just fine the way they are, off the top of my head, that doesn't mean i don't think there are any problems...

AMD should be cheaper than Nvidia, but i also want it to be worthwhile for AMD, i want them to stay, i don't want them to provoke a pricing war with Nvidia because AMD would not survive that.

I also want Intel to stay, i want them to feel like its worth staying.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think they are priced just fine the way they are, off the top of my head, that doesn't mean i don't think there are any problems...

AMD should be cheaper than Nvidia, but i also want it to be worthwhile for AMD, i want them to stay, i don't want them to provoke a pricing war with Nvidia because AMD would not survive that.

I also want Intel to stay, i want them to feel like it’s worth staying.
I think your in the minority if you think AMDs pricing is fine, they were terrible at launch, granted they are now better priced than they were last year but so is Nvidia.

Nvidia doesn’t want a price war nor do they want to get rid of AMD as then they would be classed as a monopoly and their behaviour would be under more scrutiny from the FTC so it’s in Nvidia’s interests if AMD stick around as a sort of lame duck competitor.

Associate
I think we're missing a critical point here - price dictates demand. But what of supply?

Does AMD have a huge inventory sitting around, or are they selling everything they make? If they don't have the extra stock they could sell, dropping the price gets them nothing.

Soldato
I think we're missing a critical point here - price dictates demand. But what of supply?

Does AMD have a huge inventory sitting around, or are they selling everything they make? If they don't have the extra stock they could sell, dropping the price gets them nothing.
The fact they have been dropping prices would imply they are struggling to move stock, if they were selling everything they made then they wouldn’t need to drop the price.

Soldato
RX580 released in april 2017 for $229 offering GTX 980 raster performance and 100% more VRAM

And nearly 3 years later when the GTX 1060 had been out for nearly a year at £299.

7800XT launched in August 2023 for $500 offering RTX 3080 raster performance with 60% more VRAM but worse RT and upscaling.

And almost 3 years later.

Daniel Owen has an interesting video on the matter:

Soldato
And nearly 3 years later when the GTX 1060 had been out for nearly a year at £299.

And almost 3 years later.

Interesting video; either people lie about owning AMD for clout, or AMD owners are the most vocal group on the internet

Reactions: G J
Soldato
Interesting video; either people lie about owning AMD for clout, or AMD owners are the most vocal group on the internet
Maybe this why AMD keeps on getting the pricing wrong and never gains any significant market share as they probably hear all the noise made by small but very active and vocal minority saying that pricing is fine and the cards are good value when the

Associate
Maybe this why AMD keeps on getting the pricing wrong and never gains any significant market share as they probably hear all the noise made by small but very active and vocal minority saying that pricing is fine and the cards are good value when the
If you read the car forum, you would think everybody in the country owned a luxury or supercar, the vast majority of people buy what they are told is the best and simplest at their price point and then forget about it.

Associate
I agree with everyone tbh. Nvidia have more attractive cards with better tech. AMD are always lagging behind but offer more vram and in reality they are always on Nvidias coattails, sometimes even surpassing them. But Nvidia are brilliant at marketing and this is where AMD fall down. It's certainly interesting watching intel coming up the rear*,so let's see what happens.

*No pun intended.
**No homo

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure why Joxeon is talking about the RX580. It was overclocked RX480 launched 10 months after the RX480.It was a bit of a pointless release IMHO.

RX480 launched in June 2016 at $239 for the 8GB model with the GTX1060 GB following a few weeks later for $249 to $299:

The GTX980 launched in late September 2014 at $550:

Both offered near GTX980 performance.So,in slightly more than 20 months we had near GTX980 performance for less than half the price and with more VRAM.

The $650 RX6800XT launched at an RRP technically $50 under the $700 RRP RTX3080 two months later:

Though a moot point in the UK as we don't have the AMD store so the RRP never was seen here for a while. But you could get them in some markets.

The $600 RTX4070 came nearly 2.5 years later and offered the same performance as the RTX3080 for a $50 reduction in price. Why it was not well received on this forum. The RX7800XT came almost six months later at $500 RRP,or $150 under the RX6800XT or $200 under the RTX3080. But it was so late,the RTX4070 had already dipped down in price and I suspect most of us had got bored by then.

The whole we are a premium thing AMD pushed was a waste of time in recent years. AMD launching late hasn't helped them.

Polaris is the last time AMD actually launched earlier than Nvidia.

But the problem is JPR confirms actual numbers of dGPUs shipped. So that 15% to 30% sales share AMD partners have shipped every quarter over the last decade is ending up in systems. A few things:
1.)Steam is useful but also takes into consideration gaming cafes in Asia,Africa,etc so the same hardware can show up multiple times. Many of those gamers can't afford their own systems so essentially rent time on them.
2.)Nvidia is a GPU company so 100% of its volume goes to GPUs. AMD sadly prioritises GPUs after CPUs and consoles.
3.)The internet is full of people who build their own PCs - most gaming PCs sold are prebuilt systems and most of them are Nvidia.
4.)Most desktop owners who I have known with an AMD card are people who build their own PCs - most gamers don't build their own PC.
5.)Nvidia has the Lion's share of the laptop dGPU market - the laptop RTX3060 and RTX4060 are some of the highest ranked dGPUs on Steam. Almost half of all dGPUs are sold with laptops! People on the internet are not going to talk about their gaming laptop like desktop users.

AMD has prioritised more of its volume to places such as the US and Europe,which are the most vocal parts of the English speaking internet. But in huge markets such as Asia,Nvidia is not only easier to buy and has more volume,but even the pricing is not that different from what I have seen. This is why AMD seems more represented than it actually probably is in our part of the world.

Intel still sells more consumer CPUs than AMD,but if you look at the internet in the US and Europe,you wouldn't think that.

Last edited:
Soldato
One possibility is that the Steam Hardware Survey software is indeed bad at picking up non-Nvidia GPUs. Notice that there are two entries for AMD Radeon Graphics, for instance, and Arc cards are nowhere to be seen but Xe Graphics is there.

Back
Top Bottom