• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD GPU sales tanking

Suspended
And nearly 3 years later when the GTX 1060 had been out for nearly a year at £299.

And almost 3 years later.

Daniel Owen has an interesting video on the matter:

"People lie about owning AMD" That's a...... really silly take on it.

Daniel explained what it is, there are more AMD GPU owners in the DIY space than people think, there are quite a lot on here.... its just that the DIY market is very small compared with OEM's and pre-builds, DIY'ers are more likely to watch his channel vs people who buy a prebuilt box.

That explains the discrepancy between his polls and the Steam Charts, more people choosing thier own GPU choose AMD than Steam Charts would represent.

Thank about it, you know it makes sense.

Last edited:
Soldato
I recommended quite a few friends 6600/6600xts a while back, and they are very happy. I know a few IT savvy folks who had 5700 and 5700XTs that have moved to Nvidia after that card though and probably won't go back without an extremely great AMD card (for that card level) being released.

I've personally never had issues with AMD drivers, and I don't know many who have, at least in relevant recency. The ones who have had issues were all 5700 owners though.

I'd have happily went AMD myself, but the ARC card was a much better deal. It still is.

Last edited:
Suspended
Forget about RT, nothing at all wrong with RT on these cards.

A 4070, for example, doesn't run volumetrics like this, on this sale at 4K at more than 10 FPS, not even joking, they just can't handle this much complexity in volumetrics, i'm getting about 30 with these settings on the clouds, they are not just blobular fluff balls like they are in MSFS, they have a lot of structure and detail.

rtdyjko.jpg

p5BLhMp.jpg

h7CUOgM.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
I have indoctrinated my two lads with AMD. Both have an rDNA 2 card and have been very happy with performance. For a good year my eldest ranted to me about needing Nvidia due to this and that but his 6600xt is now 3 years old and still giving good performance. Was a much better buy at the time compared to 3060 (6gb).

Associate
I recommended quite a few friends 6600/6600xts a while back, and they are very happy. I know a few IT savvy folks who had 5700 and 5700XTs that have moved to Nvidia after that card though and probably won't go back without an extremely great AMD card (for that card level) being released.

I've personally never had issues with AMD drivers, and I don't know many who have, at least in relevant recency. The ones who have had issues were all 5700 owners though.

I'd have happily went AMD myself, but the ARC card was a much better deal. It still is.

I changed to a 4070 from the 5700 as I had stability issues.

I thought it was the card but maybe it was driver related.

Anyway at the time of upgrading the 4070 seemed like the least worst option that I could afford.

Only the 7900XT/XTX were out from AMD and I wanted to get the latest gen

Associate

I skipped that gen thankfully. Was it black screen issues with that card ? I am guessing it must have been hardware related as nothing seemed to fix it from what I have read.

Soldato
Forget about RT, nothing at all wrong with RT on these cards.

A 4070, for example, doesn't run volumetrics like this, on this sale at 4K at more than 10 FPS, not even joking, they just can't handle this much complexity in volumetrics, i'm getting about 30 with these settings on the clouds, they are not just blobular fluff balls like they are in MSFS, they have a lot of structure and detail.

rtdyjko.jpg

p5BLhMp.jpg

h7CUOgM.jpg

Soldato
The DIY space is definitely more evenly split, but if you spend any time on performance/tech related threads on Steam user forums or gaming sites? Full of massively uninformed takes, people who swear by Nvidia and mostly buy iffy prebuilds.

The fact is places like this forum are niche, and very much a bubble separate from the rest of the internet.

AMD need to do a better job of reaching out to normal people that just want to play games.

Soldato
"AMD consumer graphics is low margin and in terminal decline"

Nonsense (partly), the margin on AMD's GPU's is decent and a lot higher then what they make on Ryzen CPU's going by their latest financial results. Sales are tanking because AMD doesn't offer a compelling option to consumers, this review comparing the RTC 4070 Super and 7900 GRE perfectly encapsulates the problem for AMD GPU/gaming division

While the GRE isn't a bad product it doesn't do enough to stand out. What's on offer? Similar to slightly worse performance for slightly less money, okay but the Geforce card offers better RT, upscaling, hardware acceleration, more software features and a lower power draw plus it's a stronger brand. If AMD is serious about this segment it needs a major rethink on how to attract customers. It's like the old Amiga 500 Vs Atari ST battles from back in the day, Amiga won because of it offered better and faster computing thanks to to it's custom chips which appealed to both game developers and consumers.

Soldato
Nonsense (partly), the margin on AMD's GPU's is decent and a lot higher then what they make on Ryzen CPU's going by their latest financial results. Sales are tanking because AMD doesn't offer a compelling option to consumers, this review comparing the RTC 4070 Super and 7900 GRE perfectly encapsulates the problem for AMD GPU/gaming division

While the GRE isn't a bad product it doesn't do enough to stand out. What's on offer? Similar to slightly worse performance for slightly less money, okay but the Geforce card offers better RT, upscaling, hardware acceleration, more software features and a lower power draw plus it's a stronger brand. If AMD is serious about this segment it needs a major rethink on how to attract customers. It's like the old Amiga 500 Vs Atari ST battles from back in the day, Amiga won because of it offered better and faster computing thanks to to it's custom chips which appealed to both game developers and consumers.

When the GRE was released it was closer in price to the RTX4070,so much so DF recommended it over the RTX4070:

Now,because of the GRE,prices have started to drop on both the RTX4070 and RTX4070 Super in recent weeks. The RTX4070 Super is slowly edging towards £500. Personally,I think they all need further price cuts. The RX7900XT for under £600 was more like what we should have had.

It's also been explained loads of times AMD gaming revenue includes consoles. The current console generation is almost four years old and needs a refresh. XBox and PS5 sales are down a lot and they make up a huge percentage of that revenue.

But WCCFtech did another one of their poorly researched "articles" which totally ignored that and blamed it 100% on dGPU sales and the rest of the sites just regurgitated that.Also,they seemingly also ignored that dGPU sales also have seasonality,ie,into the summer there are drops in sales and they pick-up towards the end of the year or around major new launches.

There is also another thing skewing data - consumer sales are also for AI,not just gaming as Chinese companies have been also trying to get past tech restrictions over the last year. This is why the US government has essentially banned RTX4090 card sales to China and also sanctioned companies which re-exported them to China from third countries.

Also why rumours hint that the RTX5080 is being launched before the RTX5090,as it's been made to comply with the new restrictions.

Just like with sales when mining was popular it has no bearing on whether the gaming market is healthy or not. It's impossible to break down what percentage of sales are for mining,AI or just gaming. AMD cards are less optimal for AI tasks,Nvidia cards are not. Nvidia,OTH, is doing just great because of AI.

The fact that Nvidia made a Super refresh tells me dGPU sales are not great for gamers and there was a push by partners for Nvidia to do this to stimulate more sales.

Last edited:
Soldato
Everyone's revenue includes consoles, Nvidia, amd and Intel all make consoles so that's not an excuse, the console slow down affects everyone, Nintendo is slowing down too, but Nvidia consumer GPU revenue is still up

Soldato
Everyone's revenue includes consoles, Nvidia, amd and Intel all make consoles so that's not an excuse, the console slow down affects everyone, Nintendo is slowing down too, but Nvidia consumer GPU revenue is still up
AMD is the only real player in the console space. Nvidia selling Tegra chips to Nintendo at $20 a pop is insignificant. Intel is not even on the map with one handheld that completely flopped.

Last edited:
Suspended

Its 20% faster in raster and 8% slower in RT, the 4070 Ti is only 4% faster, or in other words the same, i don't see anyone complaining its too expensive at £200 more, because an Nvidia GPU can never be too expensive, that's the real problem.

At £550 its a bit pricey for one with a good cooler, especially given that the 7800 XT is £100 cheaper, IDK what happened with its price but the 4070 is £530, the 7900 GRE should be £500, i grant you, but we have to draw the line somewhere if we are not going to complain about the 4070 Ti.

c3AoEH3.png
xjOpjHY.png

Last edited:
Suspended
One more thing, i just looked, the Sappire 7900 GRE Pulse is $40 more expensive than the Sapphire 7800 XT Pulse in the US and the 7900 GRE is not as expensive as it is in the UK, no where near, as usual we are being price gouged.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom